1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero And XP Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Alanj72, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

Are you absolutely sure that it is the final build of SP2, i had 1 version of SP2 that claimed to be final and wasnt. I have installed the final version of SP2 and have had no problems whatsoever on my pioneer 107

2. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

Just my 2 cents (US),,lol,, just downloaded SP2 this AM and burned 2 great disks this PM,,, no problems at all,, some of those folks with problems probably need to check for firmware updates,,, good luck all

3. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

I for one will slowly update the 4 family computers to SP2 starting with the least important. If the corporate IT departments are being slow about their rollout it suggests there may be issues with certain software and hardware combos that has not been tested yet.

I have just spent the weekend troubleshooting a DVD burner problem that one machine has. This is the first time I have had a problem in seven DVD burner installs. Burner works fine in all the other machines but this one. I now know it is a hardware conflict and have a work around for now. However ......

The rollout of SP2 may work well for others but not for some. It is the combo of hardware and software that will influence the success or failure to the upgrade and that is difficult to predict.

Just my thoughts

4. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

If the only thing that failed was the closing disc procedure then the DVD should still play... I used to get this message all the time until I upgraded to the latest version of Nero.

5. ltpliskin

ltpliskin Member

Well I got the Pioneer DVR-107d and I'm having trouble copying DVD since SP2 instalation......I notice something weird when i was installing the SP2...the two lights on my burners DVD-RW and CDRW went on like when updating the firmware......does SP2 add some kind of copy protection to my drives?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  6. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

Nope it doesnt add anything i have sp2 and have had no problems whatsoever, in fact my computer has never been so stable

7. brobear

brobear Guest

The biggest reason for SP2 is for security purposes. It makes the OS much less vulnerable to the attacks that are currently targeting the OS. While not bothering some, it is causing problems for others. The wise bet is to wait for the parts Microsoft thinks the systems need and supply through Windows Update.

A friend just crashed his system with the SP2 download and a system restore won't fix the problem. He's looking at a reformat and a new setup. The SP2 may not have been the direct problem, but it was a contributing factor.

8. ascii

ascii Member

Just go back and use the latest version of nero 5.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

ascii
    How would that help if the system has been deep sixed, gone kaput, and needs to be reformated? In some cases, SP2 has some detrimental effects on the OS in which Nero runs. Not directly on Nero.

10. ascii

ascii Member

If nero 6 does not work, does that mean, dvd decrypter will not work ?

So therefore nero 5 is not the same as nero 6, so i had issues using nero 6 with sp2 on computer upstairs, so i took out nero 6, put nero 5 in, the latest version, so that it had the updated list of dvd writers, and no more hassle with SP2.

[EDIT] And with the topic being nero 6 and sp2.
    And yes if the system is screwed then either spend lots of hours with your machine, or put a ghost image back in that you made prior to applying sp2.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  11. michigan

michigan Guest

Also if you use Shrink the newest version won't work with any version of Nero except 6.

12. ascii

ascii Member

Strange that shrink won't work with anything other than nero 6, as i just burn them with nero or any other burning program that is capable of buring dvds, you mean that it will not do this for you automatically with out nero6, ic heres me thinking i couldn't do anything for myself.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

ascii
    Yes, one could put back a Ghost copy of the drive, if they had backed it up with Norton Ghost. But just a backup from restore won't work if the damage is with configuration files. Michigan has it right, Nero 6 with the Shrink. BTW, I'm going to follow my own advice and wait for the Windows Update.

If it came down to making a choice, I'd rather have my Nero 6 than the SP2 pack.

14. michigan

michigan Guest

I'm with you there Brobear, I'm not touching that SP2 for a while. It sounds like ot is just a bit to flakey to me. In time I'm sure it will be fine, but right now look at all the problems. I'll keep my Nero and take my chances without SP2

15. ascii

ascii Member

I only meant image as in make a ghost image of drive. Not as in any other form of image that windows can make, and certainy not as in system restore, who the hell uses system restore it sucks, and has major flaws.

And using ghost to make image and restoring the image file to your hard drive will overwrite everything on that partition. ie C: Who the hell runs an operating system on their hard drive without first partitioning it

BTW the latest version of dvd shrink, will let you burn the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders with nero 5 or any other dvd burning software you want.
    I am not on about the option " after it has re-authored etc, to back up to a DVD " As in automatically, i always use the hard drive to just store the audio and video ts folders then burn with anything i want.

And just to let you know i am not saying XP SP2 is any good, as i don't like it, and it would be best to wait until you hear the all clear from lots of sources.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  16. bluechip

bluechip Guest

Well if misery enjoys company, I came to the correct thread. Posted a thread here earlier today ( http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/105855#557256 ) and was directed to this thread. I have upgraded to SP2, Nero 6 current. I do not receive any errors during any process with DVD Shrink or Nero (before or after SP2 upgrade). But after 40 successful DVD burns, created my first coaster.. the first burn after SP2 upgrade.

17. Gringle

Gringle Guest

yup you guy's ain't wrong by a mile, I've got this new pc a month or so back,
    with a dozen or more sp2 downloads. #But I ain't too sure bout the big one.
    Seems better minds than me have problems..

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Michigan

Don't know where ascii was going with that little rant. No one mentioned anything contrary to making a Ghost with Norton's Ghost if they want to. I just said Windows won't restore some of the problems precipitated by SP2 is why using a program like Ghost could be necessary in the first place. Agreeing with him obviously upset him.

ascii:
    No one questioned what you said. Mention of restore was due to a lot of people disagreeing with your opinion of System Restore, including myself (personal preference). Using a program like Ghost and System Restore as necessary is the best bet. Most people use System Restore because often they don't need to go to the extreme of using a program like Ghost to restore a drive when they only need to correct a simple problem. Also, a lot of people don't have a restoration utility such as Ghost.

[bold]ascii, you need to watch the language and the attitude.[/bold]

In answer to that, just about everyone who buys a computer has the OS on an unpartitioned drive. BTW, what are you restoring if not the OS and programing. Without the matching OS registry, programs are sometimes useless. I've seen a lot of files damaged by an OS doing file recovery. When one gets a PC they can use a program such as Partition Magic, but most people don't. Also XP is capable of handling the mega drives without a problem. Back in the old days people partitioned drives to make it easier to defrag and preserve files. With the newer, faster drives and operating systems and available software, that is not much of a problem anymore.

Well good for you, you are using DVD Shrink as a ripper and encoder or just a ripper. You didn't say which option you used to rip to the HD. One can choose no compression and rip the files to HD and run the files through another encoder if you choose to. For example, some people use Shrink to edit and run files through RB/CCE and then burn with another program. With the encoded (shrunk) Video_TS or ISO file any number of burners can finish the job and burn. You're right on that.

However, most people like to use DVD Shrink to full capacity and go ahead and let it use a burner program, like Nero 6, to auto burn the finished product. Before you start giving advice, you may want to get a guide and learn about the rest of the program. Those quality settings in the new 3.2 sure do a great job to. There is a limited number of options with the auto burn choice. Did I mention I was involved with beta testing the new 3.2? Again I agree you are right about burning HD files, but you can burn HD files created by any program with any number of burner programs. That isn't specific to Shrink ripped files.

As for using Nero 5. I guess there are quite a few people with the old version. However, most people are using the new Nero 6 because of all the upgrades. Nero 6 is just a preference and no one faults you for using an old program if you choose to. The New Nero can be downloaded on a monthly basis and used free, although a lot of people have a tendency to buy it. So, currently Nero 6 and DVD Shrink 3.2 is the best free setup that can be found. That is why I handily agreed with Michigan. Not what can be used, but what is probably best and easily acquired. Haven't seen too many trial versions of Nero 5 lately or versions for sale.

Also, if you want to get technical on us, you should realize the fact that you aren't burning any Audio_TS folders with the DVD movies using Shrink; everything is in the Video_TS folder and the Audio_TS folder is empty. If you don't believe it, just look.

Nice to see we agree on something. I believe that was being said by quite a few all along, [bold]wait until the creator of the app has it sorted out[/bold]. As far as a lot of it goes; I have software that accomplishes what the SP2 hopes to achieve and is far less troublesome and easier to turn off when I wish. Let's all hope Longhorn (or whatever they call the new OS) is a better app.

[bold]Getting back to Nero and SP2, it appears a lot of what is happening is indirect. The SP2 sometimes affects the OS, which in turn affects the operation of Nero and a lot of other things.[/bold]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2004
  19. ascii

ascii Member

Ok, i know there is nothing in the audio_ts folder, i do not need to look. dvd shrink has an option to create the audio_ts and video_ts folders, i always put an audio_ts folder on all my dvds, as it was said that it was needed for compatibility with supposedly older players, I just got into the habit of always creating the folder as it's inclusion would certainly not hurt but it's exclusion might, and It is needed for AOB files, like music dvds etc.

I know there are a lot of options in shrink, i don't just start a program and hope for the best. I have used dvd shrink with all the different projects it offers.
    I pressume the monthly free nero 6 programs you are on about are from the creators homepage, well so are the previous versions of nero, they may not be updated as regular, but they are there, and nero 6 being updated more often may have something to do with a couple of factors, newer burner recognition, fixing bugs, blacklisted cracks, serial numbers.

my reply to that was based on, that it seemed as if you were saying that putting the image back in would still leave the configuration files damaged, which would not be true.
    Now i can see you were talking about system restore.
    Which would be another good reason then not to use system restore.if configuration files are still damaged after a restore.

I don't partition all my hard drives(or anybody elses) for no good reason either and not for the reason's you stated, i do it for a number of reasons, firstly why should i have to format the whole of my 120 gig hard drive, when i only need to format 10-15 gig that my operating systems reside in. Secondly, so i can place the (swap/page file) on a seperate partition to the operating system,(or even better i use a different hard drive on the secondary ide (master)). And so that when i use ghost it does not include between 768 -1024 meg of virtual mem to add to the image file size, especially if the image was to fit on just one cd, yeah i know ghost can span onto further discs,(and can now burn to dvd, not much good if customer does not have a dvd burner in computer though) i just do not want to carry loads of cds dvds when i am fixing other peoples computers, as it can get rather confusing having to carry hundreds of discs for hundreds of clients computers.

A lot of people that have bought their machine from Time, Dell, Emachines etc, and they want me to fix it when its gone belly up, a lot of my time is taken up having to back up material ranging from, their digital camera photo's including things like wedding photos, baby photos, and other sensitive material they have like documents etc, these all have to be backed up if there is just one big 40-120 gig (C:) hard drive, its a pain if they have a dvd burner or a cd writer, even harder when they have no writer at all, and they learn that in order to have their computer functioning again and their material backed up, that i will have to take drive away and recover everything from drive at more cost to them and more cost to me in [time], or the cheaper or less time consuming, to just format the drive and start again.

Sorry if it seems to be a rant, but i aint some idiot that can be talked down to. well i may be an idiot but i still do not like to be talked down to.

20. michigan

michigan Guest

brobear,

Thanks for the backup I don't think I would have said it quite as in detail as you did but I agree.

ascii,

No one was "talking down" to you get over yourself.
    How the hell do you talk down to someone on a computer screen! If you make a comment that is open to opinion (ie.Who the hell runs an operating system on their hard drive without first partitioning it) you should expect people to take the side they believe and not think it is a personal atack on you. Grow some thicker skin.

We all try to help out here if you don't get the answer your looking for clarify the issue.

If you don't want or feel you should need to clarify the issue in a nice way then drop it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.