1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone, anywhere, reliably burn DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Kiernan, Nov 25, 2004.

1. xrm454

xrm454 Guest

I've been reading for days on end and getting more confused. I have the new nero and did the updates to make it 6.6 ultra. The only thing I didnt use was the photo thing cause it crashed my over full hard drive that needed a clean start anyways. I burn a dvd and it played with only a couple minor second skips in one area which was probaly when i used the computer while burning. but the thing I would like is to encode faster and or with better quality. nero takes like 8+ hours to encode and burn avi files and isnt using the whole 4.?? gigs. I do only have a pIII 800 cpu with 500 megs mem on a asus board. I was reading a post last night about a faster encoder with better quality but lost the link. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy there xrm454, welcome to aD,

My best friend has a PC almost identical to yours and I have him backing up his DVD collection, one DVD at a time.

Getting a faster encoder (i.e.,DVD2One) is certainly a good way to go BUT ONLY if you have a PC that can make use of it.

When you're speaking of using a faster encoder it's like saying, "Hey, I'm going to put some AAAA Street slicks on my car. They give FANTASTIC traction, are 2X wider than a conventional tire and costs $600.00ea." Unfortunately, the car is a 1953 Chevy 6 cylinder 235 HP. It will run all day long for weeks at a time but the top speed is 69 miles an hour.

Your PC can burn DVD's but just barely. Your time of 8 hours for rendering an AVI and then burning to disc is nothing short of amazing. My friend needs his 8 + hours to rip, encode run Deep Analysis and burn to disc. There's no way he could take an AVI, render it to VOB or even DVD compliant file and then burn to disc - he would probably need another 6 hours to do that. Your time is super for what you have. When you read pple's times here on forum, they are using PC's similar to mine (see sig.).

You're burning, be happy.

Cheers there "Good Guy" - Xmas is coming, maybe Santa will come through with a Pent 4, 3.02 ghz with 2 GB of RAM and a "smoking" Video card -

Pete

3. xrm454

xrm454 Guest

well my next project - nero stopped responding during the final stage - could or would a seperate encoder help?? guess I should check the ide settings and that aspi thing tooo!! getting some more mem in the next couple days. does overclocking help I can bump this up with out overheating have lots of cooling fans any suggestions would be great thanks!!

4. Kiernan

Kiernan Member

Thanks for all the posts, guys. When I say "freeze" what I mean is that when I'm watching the DVD it stops (same as if I pressed the PAUSE button) for about 15 seconds, then continues as normal!

I'm going to try a lot of things suggested here (ASPI layer, maybe Nero trial version, shutting down background processes, maybe slower burns) and report back in a few days!

Problem is everytime I burn I have to watch the whole film(Fargo!) to check it and I've now watched it 6 times in the last week and I'm really getting sick of it! Ja, I am!

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

xrm454,

Once again we're dealing with an older processor. Again it's like saying, "I've got this old engine and I want to put twin 4 barrel carbs on it to make it go "faster." Overclocking your processor may add to your problems because, as you said, you're going to make the processor operate near it's breaking point. The solution is to get a newer PC. Use what you have and resign yourself to do 1 DVD per day and let it run during the evening while you're sleeping. Over clocking it to a point where it's going to act like a Pent 4, 2.0 or better just isn't going to do it. You're asking far too much of it.
    The addition of some more memory will help but not to the extent you're after. Saving up for a newer PC is the only answer. Look around, there's always something that needs being done, work after school and in a few months you'll be able to get what you want. Putting band aids on your current PC won't do it.

You can do it. I have faith in you. Make up your mind that the goal is obtainable (it is) and go for it.

Good luck.

"P"

Kiernan,

I know exactly what you mean when you say "freezing". There are 2 things that cause it, poor media and using your PC while it's burning. Even though your discs are reading as TY's I would like you to try another media. As in everything, it still could be a bad batch and I'm starting to believe that this is sounding more and more like one of those times. Also, thinking on what you said about your media being "cheap" - TY never made a "Cheap" media. Perhaps they are manufacturing those discs BUT they're using sub-standard dyes. Though I've never heard of it before, anything is possible. Let's try some RiData, TDK, HP, Sony or Verbatim "DataLife" or "DataLife" Plus. Now that you know to turn off everything running on your PC (through msconfig, startup) the only thing left is your media.

Let that be our plan. New media and if that fails, I want you to try using DVD Shrink and DVBD Decrypter. The reason I say those two is that they'll work with Roxio on your PC.

Let me know how that turns out -

Cheers,

Pete

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Leoleroy, get rid of Roxio, you can copy copies of dvdxcopy discs with either nero or alcohol software (I do it all the time to copy my copies, though I prefer alcohol), I have to agree with most on here & say that roxio bites. The new nero 6.6 reloaded is said to be a great improvement on previous versions. Mine appears to work ok.
    Don't forget to de-frag & disc clean up regularly. I de-frag & disc clean up both my hard drives 2 or 3 times a week, clearing out cookie folder etc. I think I may be over zealous, but I have not had a bad burn for ages. I've probably burnt the best part of 400+ dvds.

7. flabob

flabob Regular member

i ran into this site, and i think it makes sense....it tells you what speed media to use, with the type of burner you have...you might want to look at this...it tells me my nec 1100a..needs a 4x for a +R ...and a
    2.4x for dvd+rw
    thats a new one on me..lol...

check this site out...it might be helpful to future questions http://store.yahoo.com/cdrdvdrmedia/dvd-r-media-4-dvd-burner-recorder.html#10

Just wanted you guys to know,that i phoned Dell...they gave me the proper firmware(flash), for my puter..and voila....i can burn on dvd+rw's beautifully....after i installed the flash....i uninstalled my Nero..then re-installed it..and i havent had a problem since

what a differance in burning...

8. offset

offset Regular member

I know some people don't have any luck with cheap DVD media, but that isn't the case all the time. I have backed up over 400 movies successfully, since I first got my DVD burner a year ago. I have burned Maxell, Verbatim, Digital Matrix (200 disks), and Great AZO (100 disks), and I have personally found out that the Digital Matrix and Great AZO DVD's burned just as well as the "name brand" types of media. I have only had approximately 5 bad burns with the cheap media, and 3 of them were most likely my fault (forgot to disable Norton's antivirus). I have found that the cheap media has worked quite well for me, and none of my friends have had any problem with my movies skipping or freezing on their dvd players. You don't have to pay a lot of money for DVD media to copy your movies successfully.

Making copies of your PS2 games is a different story. I would strongly suggest your buy "name brand" media for backing up PS2 games. I have had really good luck backing up my games with Maxell, but my "cheap" media really sucks for backing up games (skipping, freezing, or just not loading).

DVD cheap media...Good / PS2 game cheap media...Bad

Lite-On LDW-411S DVD Burner
    DVD X Copy Platinum 3.2.1.0
    Nero 6.3.1.25

9. xrm454

xrm454 Guest

Thanks pete but........
    as much as i wish high school was awhile ago (89) lol
    and no I dont put things to the breaking point ie big tire little eng. I was just wondering if it would help. I've had it overclocked without getting it much warmer I just put it back cause for most things it really dont matter.

do you know or should I start a new nero thread,

I have the nero 6 ver. 6.3.1.20 that will update to the 6.6 ultra but do i need the updates?? I know the photo thing didnt work to well and i dont think the in cd is needed. but i may be wrong also nero has aspi should i use theres?? my xp is using a spti drive interface. Then why it really probaly isnt working well is cause the media i have come back as the cmc mag af1 (labeled memorex) but can I encode to disk then burn later or is it best to encode burn at once?? thanks

10. xrm454

xrm454 Guest

also will the newer nero run better with win 98 98lite or me??and what do I really need running in the processes on xp?? thanks again

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

xrm454,

i've given you my thoughts on your suggestions - Experiment - see what happens - Who knows, maybe you can rip, encode and fry in 36 minutes -

Cheers and G'luck -

Gentlemen,

As I've said 50+ times or more in this forum, For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

I've used 225 Great IZO and out of that number I've gotten 37 coasters. That's somewhere about a 15% failure rate. Fine for you perhaps but not for me.

offset,

It your opinion and as they say, you're intitled to it BUT for everyone on these forums that touts cheap media there are 25 to 30 pple who's problems have ceased once they've upgraded to decent quality media and not one person who has transfered down has bettered their lot -

AFA Memorex and other's like them, we all know that data, music and video backups on CD's and DVD's will last forever, well, if not forever for at least 100 yrs or so - That's what we've read and I believed and that's why we backup our treasures to disc, so that they'll be safe. "BLAaaaT" (the bone chilling sound of an emergency air horn), Wrong, Dead Wrong ! Don't throw the originals away, you may very well need them. Your video camera tapes and family picture CD's and DVD's, may not be there the next time you want to look at them. "Point of fact," inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down]" in time. In a very short time, we're talking disc can breakdown in less than a single year, in as little as 6 to 8 months.

This article was written about CD discs but DVD discs are exactly the same. I was miss-informed and this opened my eyes. Perhaps you'll find it as important as I did.
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

My personal observations on this subject -
    I have had about 40 backups that have refused to play after being stored for a year or more. I test all of my backups when they are burnt to be very sure that there are no problems. "In the Golden, Olden times," before I knew any better, the Memorex, Maxell and professional "Store Brand" discs (and any thing that was on sale) was what used before I switched to Ritek and Verbatim. It is the poor quality stuff that I have been experiencing my trouble with. I noticed that backup DVD's I had refused to play in my standalone player and on my PC. VOB files wouldn't play either and other discs that I backed up about the same time would "Freeze" part way through the movie. After switching to Verbatim and Ritek's, mostly the Ritek's because the price was right, I've not had 1 go "Flat" in over 1 ½ years. I still have some backups about 90 of them done on the "cheap stuff" and, as time wears on I lose a few more as I attempt to check them. I say to you, why did a backup play fine in "01"and "02" then "fail" in "03 ?? Some that were done in "01" never made it till "02" (it took me some time to learn, lol) and others done about the same time and "Failed" in "04"? Most of my backups from around December of "02" were done on the "good Stuff" and they still work fine today - not a single failure !

As always, you have a choice -

Cheers,

Pete

12. Kiernan

Kiernan Member

Hi Pete,

Sorry for the delay in coming back but I've been trying things out. I've gotten me an ASPI layer, new media, new drive firmware, tried different burn speeds, etc. and still have the problem BUT ...

I've just noticed thay my expensive Denon ADV-M71 DVD player does not support ANY DVD-Recordable formats at all, can you believe it? I suspect this could be my problem and my disks have been fine all along! Further testing required!

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

In that case, pickup a Cyber-Home for $39.99 (USD) and replace the "snobby" one - The Cyber-Home will play last night's dinner dishes -

14. nailedny

nailedny Guest

Hi Pete,
    I haven't been on in a while. All has been good except now decrypter stops with an error message 1/2 the wasy thru. I've been reading and chceked my aspi layer and have the same problem as Pete above. I downloaded both ASPI layers and still get the same messageas Pete
    installed aspi check and it says aspi is not installed properly,one or more components have been replaced with older versions of software.
    Tried to install new one and got a zip file with loads of files inside.(stook from here in)
    Thought id installed it properly but after restart still get same message.[i/]
    Running windows xp. Using dvdshrink and dvddecrypter. Uninstalled my plextor burner and rebooted.???
    What else?
    Thanks

15. xrm454

xrm454 Guest

I am trying the guide "convert the avi to dvd/mpeg-2
    which uses the tmpgenc, my avi file will not open in the video section only the audio area says cannot open or unsupported do i need codecs or is the way it is?? when I used the d2sroba method my movies came out in fast forward even nero player at 1\2 speed was going way to fast(they played on stand alone). the avi's I have are only 14,900 fps I know this isnt good but I still want them to play in stand alone dvd even if the quality isnt great what should i do to remedy these probs?? thanks

16. dravidham

dravidham Member

Pete,

I've been burning for a about 8 months now using shrink and decriptor (successfully at the beginning until recently), but for some reason I now seem to have problems with backups. This is the case when trying to backup around 12 different original DVD films from my collection all of which are scratch free.

I have the latest versions of both - v3.2.0.15 and 3.5.1.0 respectively (nothing Roxio is installed). I don't apply labels and I always use Ridisk Ritek G04 4 speed dvd-r's. the problem-backups are skipping or permanently pausing at almost half way through almost all movies that I have tried to burn over the past 4 weeks. It's always around half way through!.

I've tried 3 defferent batches of Ritek G04's from 2 different suppliers and I do not apply labels.

The problem also happens when I give Nero 6.6.0.0 a shot. I have been using all three of these programmes for a while and no error messages spring up. I just don't get why I am getting problems all of a sudden.

I have not upgraded any hardware on the p.c. and the only application running in tandem when burning is Norton Antivirus 2004, which shouldn't be a problem on a 3.2 gig machine.

Do you have any ideas on this one that might help me?

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers,

Dave.

17. kchev

kchev Regular member

Kiernan,

These discs are fakes. I would STRONGLY recommend buying some more discs. Try some more media and you problem will go away.

no, I don't believe it
    There is hardly a dvd player made today that will not play at "least" one of the formats, especially an expensive player.

In your case, yours will play both formats.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers...h&Search=Search&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  18. Kiernan

Kiernan Member

Hi Kchev,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried a number of different media (namely TDK DVD+RW and DVD-RW also) with even worse results (-RW spin noisily in player until I eject them and +RW freeze every 2 seconds). Also some old DVD+RWs I had which play fine in other players won't play in my Denon either! I contacted Denon and they told me to use good media and burn slowly, but they didn't tell me whether the player should or shouldn't work with recordable media. I think I really need to try out the disks I've burned in other players, etc., to try and pin down where the problem is. I hope you're right and my Denon does play recordable media otherwise I'll have to follows Petes' advice and buy another player (not a major issue as my Denon is still a good CD player, Amp, FM tuner and AV processor) but I don't know how I'll balance 3 remote controls and a beer on my knees at the same time.

19. kchev

kchev Regular member

what exactly do you mean?

are you burning multiple copies from the same source on hard drive?
    is it possible you have a corrupted rip?

if it is in every copy in the same place it sounds as if it is the source disc causing the freezing
    have you tried re-ripping the movie to see if the freezing is in the same place?

maybe possible i guess you do have a "lemon" dvd player

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  20. vikings04

vikings04 Member

I have some advice to give. Like kchev said about a bad dvd burner. When I first started burning I bought a sony dvd writer and had nothing but problems ripping dvds with dvd x copy platinum. I took the sony back to the store and bought a plextor 708a dvd burner. Works like a charm not a problem yet. As far as media goes It will burn onto a wide variety of discs. I usually use Memorex 4x dvd-r and memorex 8x dvd-r. When I burn with 4x discs the discs will play on virtually any home dvd player. The 4x discs play great on my $30 dvd player but not my sony dream system. I use the 8x discs for playing on my sony system. Personally I don't care for easy cd creator software it seemed to lock up on me a lot. For cd's I only use nero 6. Its very simple and user friendly. Hopefully you can get this resolved. I'd be pretty frustrated myself like when I first started burning dvd's.