1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube LASER tweak

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by speedi, Dec 24, 2004.

1. mrdj

mrdj Guest

i dont know if this question been asked, but can the gamecube read dvd-RW 8cm disces? I mean so u can for example burn one game, then burn over it and play a new?
    thanks for answer.
    /mrdj

2. speedi

speedi Member

MR DJ

3. speedi

speedi Member

MR DJ

I have Tried Several MiniDVD-RW's
    I Even tried normal DVD-RW

No succes whatsoever.
    If Anyone succeeded in booting DVDR-W.
    PLz feel free to reapond..

Greets
    Speedi

4. mrdj

mrdj Guest

ic :) thanks for replaying my question.

Cheers!/mrdj

5. ronman747

ronman747 Member

wow mine was at 530 nothin worked. I justset it to 195 and will test it when i get home . I was about to give up on this chip. Thanks for the info guys

6. hentaisan

hentaisan Member

Hello

I just wanted to let you guys know about my experience, so far. I have a Platinum Rev A or B (not sure which) GameCube and I just installed the Viper Chip with Cobra version 0.4.

Honestly I was expecting to have to buy a new burner (mine is a Plextor DVD+R), but looks like I may not have to after all :)

I installed the chip and checked the POT, I changed it to 170... and tried out the system with the absolute cheapest DVD+R media I had since I was expecting it not to work. Much to my surprise it WORKED, and work perfectly at that :)

The media I used was Cicero DVD+R, bought in a pack of 100 unbranded, the cheapest thing I've seen and yet it works great :) I’ve tried 4 different games for about an hour or so and have had no troubles at all.

BTW For me at least, my POT was a piece of shit, I just touched the thing ever so slightly and I kept getting jumping values and open circuits. So people I'd say avoid trying to change the setting on it if you can. It literally took me an hour of tapping at it to get a stable 170 out of it (which was the highest stable value I could get).

Hope that helps people out :)
    Regards
    HS

7. mstrchf

mstrchf Member

8. gjac1

gjac1 Member

I got 4 games on the Budget Yellow mini dvd-rs and my Gamecube wont read them. My laser is set to 185 ohms.

Datawrite reds minis work perfectly though , they are a bit more expensive

9. mstrchf

mstrchf Member

thanks mate, saved me wasting my hard earned cash, i'll go for the datawrites, alot of people seem to have had success with them
    cheers

10. xtrance

xtrance Member

Hi! My laser value was set two 247 or 250, something like that. Now i wonder wich value it should be to read dvd-r and other media. tested every value u have mentioned here but nothing work. Original game work perfect with every setting i've tried. I'm using a Verbatim DVD-R disc with Metroid Prime 2 on it. My original game works perfect. Anyone got a clue about this problem? =) Thanx in advance. /John

11. gjac1

gjac1 Member

xtrance, what rip of metroid prime 2 have you got ?? beause not all rips work, also there is a mp2 issuse that the ntsc rip wont play on a pal machine

12. xtrance

xtrance Member

Hi! Thanks for helping me out a bit =). Its the GC-USA rip i'm using. Do u know any rip that works on a PAL machine? Anyway... i now think that it is not my laser thats the problem. Abviously i been using a non working rip my machine. Any game u know works in a PAL machine? And what value should set the POT at? should i turn it back to 247 ohms?

13. gjac1

gjac1 Member

xtrance, Starcube have released a working Pal rip of mp2. If you have qutie a few non working rips you can try this method from here which has worked very well for me :

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/153093

I have a pal version 4 GC with a version 6 drive and my original pot value was 190 however i have found the best value for my cube is 215 (200-220 seems to be working well for most people)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  14. xtrance

xtrance Member

Thanks dude =).I'll try starcubes Release as soon i get it home. Hope this things solves my problems. =).
    Thanks again =), And for the short notice =D.

15. gjac1

gjac1 Member

No problem m8, i hope it helps :)

16. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

uhm....don't wanna spoil things, but this thread is starting to turn out PIRACY thread.

Starcube is a release group which releases ISO's.
    Now I see why you would wanna dl games, but still talking about it and telling each other which rip DOES work makes this thread a PIRACY thing.

If ya own the original, why don't ya just get a riptool and a BBA (if you don't allready have one) and make an ISO yourself?
    That's legal (backing up games ya own)!!!!!

So to the MOD or ADMIN around here: "KEEP YOUR EYE ON THIS THREAD!!!"

17. xtrance

xtrance Member

Hey gjac1, got ICQ or some other IM client? =)

18. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

My GC was >500 Ohms when I got in there. It's down to 180. It makes a BIG difference, so I just wanted to say THANK YOU for your information. My drive wouldn't read anything but originals before. Now it'd read a freakin' Starkist lid as a game.

It's a really good game, just watch your fingers on the sharp edges...

19. gotroot

gotroot Member

Read errors are driving me nuts, I've tried brand TDK, and Khypermedia.. The laser was initially set at >300, I tried 200, and then tried 180, no change.. Maybe I need better media. What do ya'll suggest?

What media have people had success with? What's considered a high quality brand?

20. fred306

fred306 Member

DVD-R Budget 1,4GB 8cm 1-4x Speed B-Grade works on GC with viper 0.4?