1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having trouble backing up the movie "the Grudge"

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Sirlance, Jan 26, 2005.

1. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

In my opinion again just MY OPINION, I think that ANYDVD is useless because I cant rip a lot of the newer movies just using ANYDVD and Shrink, But If I use Shrink and Decryptor it works everytime so Im taking anydvd off my system and it is the full version sorry to say. Anyways thanks BBMAYO because your site helped me out a lot! Later

2. TobyB

TobyB Member

bbmayo, thanks for the great site! One question for you-When do I just use shrink to get rid of stuff and when should I put it thru decryptor first. Seems like you get the same end result with 1/2 the time using just shrink first.
    Thanks again for all the help
    Toby

3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

TobyB: DVD Shrink will fail with any of the new structural protection systems since it is no longer updated. DVD Decrypter does not fail since it's updated for the new schemes. You'll have to run Decrypter first and then Shrink in those cases.

4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Ditto what laddyboy said - does anyone know if they will ever update DVD shrink? or bieng that dvd decrypter was udpated for the new strategies is all this just a moot poinT? - Thanx to all -peace

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Dito & Dito ^^^^ :)

My guide just shows the surest way to get a good copy. Of course there are hundred's of other ways to do it, but I made those guides with the "Newbie" in mind. This is the most effective and cheapest way to back up your movies and get good quality. I have experimented with just about every proggy and way to do it and these are the easiest and safest. :)

P.S. It dosent take any longer ripping with Decrypter first anyway. It has actually been found that this way is faster because Decrypter is much better at ripping any DVD not just the new ones. If you dont belive me time it your self from start to finish (I did) and I bet you will finish faster with my method. Here is why---
    Ripping with Decrypter - Faster Than Shrink
    Ripping only main Movie - Much faster than whole movie
    When you open the files in Shrink it only takes Seconds to analize instead of minutes.
    Shrink is working from your HD instead of DVD which we all know this is much faster..

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  6. gravykid

gravykid Member

Hey bbmayo. I tried your method, however when I open up Shrink to re-author, it doesn't recognize the files in the folder I have created. I have only encountered this problem with The Grudge. Used this method for The Forgotten and had no problems.

7. marlonmac

marlonmac Member

Hello, I have been backing up movies with no problem, but I tried to back up The Grudge last night. I tried it with DCDXCOPY PLAT, it failed, I tried shrink, it failed. I downloaded Decrypter, it downloaded it to my hard drive and I can watch it fine, problem is I went in to shrink, clicked open files, picked the folder with grudge in it, clicked backup, it dissapeared for like a min, then came back on and was super slow, showing like 900 hrs to finish. Is there some step I am missing. I didn't burn it as an iso file, is that the problem? Thanks!!

8. Erekose

Erekose Member

OK so here's a new question for you guys

How can I backup the movie The Grudge so it will
    PLAY IN MY XBOX?! :p

I'm at wit's end here! Please help me!

9. seadale

seadale Regular member

still not sure whats going, still can't copy the grudge, tried turning off anydvd. tried all of your instruction above, other ways. it starts to rip using decrypter then about 28% in it stops. i watch where it says errors & it keeps just trying to read over & over again. Then i get an error message on the main screen from windows. its very frustrating, can't figure out where i'm going wrong. We watched the movie on dvd & it played fine. i just don't get it. HELP

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK
    I just did the Grudge again to make sure and if you follow my instructions exactly in the first guide here it works fine http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

Make sure you have the latest versions of Decrypter and Shrink. When it gets to the part about setting a start and end point in Shrink you need to adjust the begining of the movie because they put a lot of blank frames in there, but other than that all went smooth as a knife threw hot butter :)

Note: I did NOT use AnyDVD with this movie and all went perfectly fine. If you follow my instructions to the "T" and still have problems then I don't what else to tell you except that maybe your original disk is faulty (tiny little scratch or something) 3 of my buddies along with myself have succesfully backed up this movie using my instructions so I know it works. :)

Another Note: If you hitting "Open Files" in Shrink then you are not following my guide ;-)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  11. Murat777

Murat777 Member

I bought the grudge yesterday and am trying to make a backup. I tried using xcopy but that didn't work. I am now going to try to use dvd decriptor and shrink, but i want to burn the one section of the special features also. I don't want to just burn the movie and i don't want to burn the whole thing because i'm afraid that compressing it will compromise the quality. So if I burn the whole movie with decriptor does shrink allow you to pick certain titles like xcopy does?

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Full backup time table doing the following:

[bold]DVD Decrypter[/bold] took 42 minutes to decrypt 67 files to the Hard Drive. None were skipped.

[bold]DVD Shrink[/bold] took 12 minutes to do it's thing and
    [bold]Burned[/bold] the movie at 8x in 8 minutes. Total time 62 minutes. Full backup with everything except foreign languages. Full compression on everything except Main Movie set to Auto. [bold]Plays perfect.[/bold]

Did the same thing, the same way with the same settings but this time using: [bold]AnyDVD[/bold] & [bold]DVD Shrink[/bold]

DVD Shrink Encoding took 42 minutes and
    burning the movie at 8x took 8 minutes
    Total time 50 minutes.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  13. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Shrink can be used to reauthor (reauthor mode) and you can drag the titles you want. The titles will play in sequential order. You can also keep the menus by using full backup mode and setting the compression level to "still image" for the titles you don't want. The unwanted titles will be replaced with a still image, conserving space.

14. luv2copy

luv2copy Member

Hey guys, I stumbled upon this thread while trying to figure out how to bypass the encrption on resident evil 2:Apocolypse. I was using dvd xcopy platinum ,and thought I had hit a brickwall in my dvd back-up career. After taking your combined advices, I'm happy to report I'm back on track. I took care of RE:2 with decryptor and then dvd shrink..burned it with decryptor. Worked awesome!! You're guide was very helpful bbmayo. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!! I'm expecting AVP and The forgotten this weekend. I plan on using platinum if I can..I'll keep you posted!!

15. marlonmac

marlonmac Member

It worked for me a well! Thanks mostly to bbmayo, I followed his instructions to the tee, worked like a champ, I did have to fast forward to the movie bacause of the blank space, then I had to hit audio because for some reason it started in the directors comments, I clicked audio one time and bang, worked like a champ. Thanks to all!

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@marlonmac
    Should of read my earlier post amd you wouldnt have had the missing frames at the begining :-0 Also should have just unchecked directors comments when doing the compression. Oh well I am glad your happy and I could help :)

@luv2copy
    You may as well stivk with using Decrypter and Shrink on the Forgotten. I'm not sure about AVP, but I know you won't have any luck using XCopy with the Forgotten or most newer movies. I guess my question to you would be why are you so dead set on using a proggy that is old and outdated when you yourself had better results with Decrypter & Shrink?

17. marlonmac

marlonmac Member

BB, Thanks! I did see that earlier post, I just don't know enough about shrink to take out the blank frames, that can be done in re author mode? I know it's probably on here somewhere but I just joined and haven't really had a chance to look around since I have joined ( I have been at work reading,lol) But this weekend I am going looking in here hard, great reading here. Thanks again!

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you followed my first guide it shows you how to adjust the start and end frames.. :) There are several movies you will need to do this on. Best bet is while you have the file in Shrink just preview it there by hitting play and see if it plays fine. If there is a lot of balnk space or wierd sounds then you should go ahead and use the start end feature in Shrink to set your start point.. :)

19. seadale

seadale Regular member

i too would like to thank bb for his great instruction sight, very informitive. My only complaint was i could not print out the instructions for some reason, but thats ok. Finally after many tries i had success. i came to find out it was the disc i was copying. even though i tried cleaning somewhat severel times i still had problems. The last time i thorougly cleaned the disc. think that was the problem. it worked fine. sometimes its the simple things that get ya.in a way it was good that this happened to me as i got some great help....thx again!!!

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Sometimes a resurfacing tool like Skip Dr is needed to remove the smudges and scratches caused by a lot of use and abuse. That's why backups should be done when the original is new. ;)

AnyDVD has become a real asset for backing up the newer encrypted movies. I let it run all the time. Most of the time I use DVD Decrypter and rip to the HD in file mode (with AnyDVD running). Then I'll encode the movie (AnyDVD still running) and burn. Shrink is a good app and AnyDVD is invaluable with the new unreadable sector encryption. AnyDVD helps Shrink process the bad sectors without stopping. I'd hate to be without AnyDVD and Decrypter. I just enter open files and use Shrink as usual. In fact, I leave the settings in both Decrypter and Shrink in default (and leave AnyDVD running in the background).