1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDXCopy-useless, what can I use now?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rodeh7, Jan 31, 2005.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

ScubaBud
    Interesting analysis. You don't like using editing in XCopy because you like the easy way. But you like editing with Shrink. Then you compare the quality of XPress to Shrink. Did you try unchecking the Full Disk option in Xpress so it wouldn't copy the entire disk? Xpress during the time it was an up to date app was considered one of the better so called one click transcoders. Did you ever edit in the Advanced segment of Platinum? I used both these features with good successs. The times I got skipping with Xpress was due to compression on really large movies when I was trying to record the complete disk, extras and all.

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

brobear

Until a couple of months ago the only program I ever used was in fact DVDxCVopy Platinum. From the time it went on sale online which was v 3.0.0 till v.4.0.3.8.

This program was simple to use for myself or my family and “no”, I didn't un-tick the box for full version allowing me to omit some of the audio language and subtitles. And a “no” again for using the advanced portion just because it still is cumbersome when compared to other simpler programs such as DVD Shrink, at least to me that is. Hence the use of Simple/Express side. I would agree that using the simple/express mode as you suggested would in fact give the same results as what I suggested with Shrink and I have to admit that I never even thought of it before, being a DVD newbie. But three things are still better with Shrink as I see it. One, the ability to copy a copy using Shrink again. You cannot copy a copy using DVDxCopy again, only by using a different copy program of the DVDxCopy burn. Second, I have no problems with any of my DVD’s playing on any of my PC’s or laptops, but had and still have a problem with playing a DVDxCopy copy on one of my DVD-Rom’s, my Dell Laptop and also my 8” Portable DVD player. And I also don’t have the 321 backup screens any longer. I have since re-copied the DVDxCopy burns that my family uses when we travel with our Laptop and or 8” Portable DVD player which also didn’t allow playback.

So if I have no problem with my burns, or playback of any of my burns, or the ability to re-copy any of my burns and have eliminated the 321 screen, I see no need to revert back to Platinum again.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  3. brobear

brobear Guest

ScubaBud
    Diskcopy in a recording suite is the way to record copies when necessary. Using a transcoder of any type is just a waste of time for copying copies. As far as the backup warning, it's all over the net, you don't have to put up with the "Backup" warning from 321. PsiDOC has some patches that take care of that problem plus takes care of the problem of the Browse function not working. http://www.dvdripforums.co.uk . I'm not supporting either of these programs as I think others are better. Just pointing out some facts about them. (The later versions of Platinum included a full user manual which some found handy. In the Start > Programs folder and needs Adobe reader to open.)

The DVDs I've recorded with XCopy don't seem to have any playability problems and they play on laptops, standalones and portables for the auto. It may be more an issue of the hardware and media than one of software. The laser imprints the dye in the disc. The recording software doesn't affect the playabilty to where it will read on one player and not read on another unless the laser didn't make a clean burn or the optical head picking it up isn't functioning properly. The software working good for one person and not another points toward equipment and media.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2005
  4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

brobear

You've got my curiosity up now! <G>

I'm going to do a little R&D and see what happens when I burn a copy of one of my original DVD's using the same burner and the same media but this time using Shrink. I'm curious if it will or will not allow the media to play in the Laptop or 8" DVD Player.

Thanks for the information about hardware and media possibilities.

5. Lreed

Lreed Guest

DVD Xcopy 4 clicks. DVDfab Express 2 clicks and it gives you a perfect copy.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Here are the results of my R&D.

Using an OptoRite DD0203 as the burner in the same PC used before, and also using two lower grade media that I've used before with DVDxCopy Platinum in Express mode, ProdiscS03 4x-2x-1x and PRINCO 2x-1x, the burns using DVD Shrink and the DVD Movie Spiderman, (first version,) played in my Dell Laptop Inspiron 5100 Pent. 2.6 which uses a combo drive Matshita CDRW/DVD UJDA740. The Burns using DVDxCopy using exactly the same burner, PC and media, etc. etc. did not. Since it is no longer a hardware issue, I assume that it might be a setting with DVDxCopy, possible the Region code since I have Shrink set to any region. What else could it be? Are there settings that can change the outcome?

Also doing the same thing on my main PC which is shown in my sig below, and using the burner and media also shown below, had the same results.

Thanks

7. brobear

brobear Guest

The message I'm trying to get across is there is no need to scrap XCopy if you have it and it's working okay. It is so grossly overpriced that I would not recommend buying it. Both XCopy and Shrink suffer from obsolete ripper software. As long as DVD5 is useful, XCopy can still be a useful app. Shrink is more up to date as it will record DVDR9. Shrink has the advantage of being free. However, as I mentioned, there are better apps to be had, like DVDCopy3 and RB/CCE, but they are retail.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

ScubaBud
    Explain to us how the program writes so one player will read it and another won't. Normally if the files are written to a disc, the player keys on the compatibility of the media; which is a matter of player firmware and the media read/write data. Possibly there is something I'm missing here, as I've not run across a selective read problem with XCopy.

If the media is compatible with the player, then the player should read the data if it is written in the correct format. The Mpeg format and DVD files are pretty much standard. Strange things do happen, but that wasn't one of the common faults of XCopy. The big fault many had with the app was system compatibility with other software.

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

brobear

If you are asking if the media plays on the burners, that answer is of course. I am speaking of DVD-Rom's and Players.

I thought that it might be a Region issue so I just downloaded AnyDVD onto the Laptop since one of the perks of it was "Region free". It still didn't allow the movie to play. The DVD-Rom keeps trying to find the disk but never stops. This happens to three different opticals. The Matshita in the laptop, the 8" Portable Player and also in the Samsung TS-H352A 16x DVD-Rom in my Pent 2.8 PC. My other two Memorex DVD-Rom DVD16X6S, one in this PC and one in the PC in the Garage, Pent 2.26 play just fine. Again, it happens with the three media types I mentioned and also the two burners.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, I have a Samsung DVD ROM in a P4 2.8GHz PC and it plays the XCopy recorded DVDs flawlessly and a Samsung and Philips play them equally well on a standalone basis. I haven't checked the brand on my son's portable and laptop. They were store specials and not big name brands. The XCopy discs also play with the Memorex burner. So, since we have some of the same brands and mine play and yours don't, I think we can chalk that up to equipment somewhere. You have what appears to be an isolated incident. Glad the Shrink works better for you, but I think there is a bit more to it somehow.

The burners and media may make a difference. I used Ricohjpn media for just about all of my burns. That's one of the best recording discs on the market. Other than that, why would XCopy media play on my Samsung and not yours?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2005
  11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I made a mistake on the statement above!

This morning I went back and looked at my backed up DVD's that were done with DVDxCopy Platinum and found that they were made with two media's, not three. The two media were ProdiscS03 4x-2x-1x and PRINCO 2x-1x, not the Sony DVD-R 8x or Legacy DVD-R 8x media that I use with my Asus burner. So for a bit more R&D I used DVDxCopy Express again, ticking English only on both the movie and subtitles, and finished the burn in 19/20 minutes. It played perfect in my wife’s Dell Laptop with the Matshita combo drive.

It was a media issue, not hardware or software issue with DVDxCopy Platinum.

[bold]brobear, I stand corrected.[/bold]

Thanks again for your patience!

12. brobear

brobear Guest

No problem ScubaBud, that was some good detective work you did. I've seen similar problems on other forums. So, spotty reads due to poor quality media appears to be a problem several have suffered from.

13. tdavis619

tdavis619 Member

After opening X Copy Platinum I went directly to the advance tab and was unable to click browse to download a file already saved on my computer. The license agreement screen quickly comes up before you can finish reading what’s behind it. Also, the Browse button is grayed out and not an option.

Is there another program that I can use to copy files form my hard drive to my DVD drive?

How do I use Shrink and anyDVD with X Copy?
    I know anyDVD are driver, but what I don't know is how is it config. to run with other programs.

I'm new and would greatly appreciate any feed back.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

the DVD X COPY PLATINUM 4.0 3.8 cant pull files from your harddrive you have to have DVD X COPY PLATINUM 4.0 4.15 verison but that verison doesnt have a ripper either.

15. noworries

noworries Member

I purchased a copy of DVD X copy Gold ( a while ago)...and need to install it on my new pc.

I have the disk...but is there a way to get the latest update?

Thanks.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

noworries,

321 XCopy has been out of business for over a year and hasn't done anything to their product for 1 1/2 years. It is serverly out of date and there are no updates.. The products you see for sale are discontinued and are sold as such.

I suggest you consider using something more suited to today's work - for example - DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter (Both FREE) coupled with AnyDVD ($39.99USD) which is the only ripper at this time that can rip 100% of the encryptions being used AND they can handle ISO Images, HD files and DVD ripping. Actually, after setup, they are easier to use than XCopy. (4-clicks for XCopy to do a backup, 3-clicks for Shrink and DVDD.

The step by step guides are in my sig. You'll have your first backup within an hour (regular quality) OR 2 hours (for great quality) after beginning.

Let me know how you make out -

Pete

aabbccdd,

Although the ripper is free for that XCopy version, it doesn't fare any better than the ripper version. Any DVD using encryption released after November 03 cannot be ripped by it unless you use AnyDVD.

"P"

17. noworries

noworries Member

I suggest you consider using something more suited to today's work - for example - DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter (Both FREE) coupled with AnyDVD ($39.99USD) which is the only ripper at this time that can rip 100% of the encryptions being used AND they can handle ISO Images, HD files and DVD ripping. Actually, after setup, they are easier to use than XCopy. (4-clicks for XCopy to do a backup, 3-clicks for Shrink and DVDD.

1. Thanks for the quick feedback. DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter (Both FREE) coupled with AnyDVD...can it be coupled with something else that is free?

2. Do you know what the latest version is of DVD Gold?

Thanks again.

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

"Removed"

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  19. brobear

brobear Guest

No need to duck on using the XCopy, if you have it and it works, no problem. However, it is so grossly overpriced for an obsolete app, I wouldn't advise anyone to purchase it.

XCopy, Shrink or just about any recording program can benefit from AnyDVD. Read the AnyDVD product description at http://www.slysoft.com . AnyDVD runs in the background and requires no setup to work with XCopy, Shrink, or any of the recording apps on the market. As Pete pointed out, it's about the closest there is to a sure thing right now.

XCopy customers can still get some assistance at http://www.dvdxcopy.com and http://www.dvdxcopy-international.com . Anyone wanting to activate the Browse function in 4.0.3.8 or activate the ripper in 4.0.4.15 RF can find the necessary links at http://www.dvdripforums.co.uk .

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2005
  20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Deleted -

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005