1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS on CDR

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by ricob, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Alcides

Alcides Member

Hi, I don´t want to copy DTS-CDs, I´d like to make my own DTS-audio files to put them into a DTS-CD. I have a 24bit/96k audio device on my PC and I´d like to encode my LPs in DTS-CD. How do I do? Thanks.

2. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

You need a DTS encoder. You are better off with a DVD-A encoder.

3. rstecca

rstecca Member

Gentlemen, this is what I know for sure. Hope it helps somebody.

Copying and playing DTS CDs:
    Copy it just like any other Audio CD and play it with any CD player, except that the DTS decoder has to be able to recognize it. Example: PC with CD player running WinDVD 7 Platinum (WinDVD 7 Platinum trial can be downloaded for free). WARNING: Some decoders do not recognize DTS CD streams as DTS and so they don't decode it (I don't know why); in this case you'll hear only noise like 'shhhhhhhhh...'. For example, I tried DVD X Player 3.0 Professional and it didn't work.

Encoding DTS CDs:
    It only makes sense if you're live and have a really good equipment. Otherwise you'll waste money, time and media space. You cannot have better quality just by converting .WAV, .AC3 or whatever to DTS.
    If you still think this is for you, then you need something like Surcode, Steinberg or DTS Pro Series Surround Encoder Software.

Cheers!

4. bigbwb

bigbwb Member

I have been reading these various forums about placing DTS tracks onto a CD & etc. If I am reading it correctly it seems that If I use the DTS cd's and copy the tracks just like a normal CD, that I can make compilations of different music right? Does the DTS tracks remain in 5.1 surround if played on the correct equipment? ALso, I posted another question similar to this elsewhere and no one ever replied, why I do not know. I followed the directions for backing up an audio file from a DVD concert using DVDecrypter(in IFO mode & using the demux feature). My question is can I chose the DTS version of the song or only the 2 channel mix, and IF I can use the DTS surround mix, how do I put that on a blank CD or DVD-R? Do I need to change it to a WAV file or what so that I can play it on a DTS capable player?

Any help on any of this would help. My software that I use is DVDecrypter and DVDshrink.

Thanks,
    Brandon

5. plutoz

plutoz Member

I have tried WinDVD 6 and 7 both don't seem to output anything through my SPDIF (using Onboard Realtek ALC650 chipset on Abit IC7 mobo) when playing a DTS CD (work fine with a DTS DVD however). I'm curious to know what soundcard/audio chipset those who got it to work were using (and if anyone has the same chipset as me and got it to work)

I'm using the latest ALC650 drivers from the Realtek site

6. rstecca

rstecca Member

Motherboard:
    Intel Desktop Board D915GEV (all drivers up to date).

Audio (onboard):
    Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem using the Realtek ALC860 audio codec (driver up to date).

PS. All drivers downloaded from Intel's support website.

7. djkrish

djkrish Member

guys, ive done and its so so so so simple without so many complicating attempts! its like this, first of all you need to extract your songs into 6 separate audio track (Wav File). For this, i used (DVD Audio Extractor)

Step 1 - Select the 5.1 surround tracks that you want to rip.
    Step 2 - Choose - WAV encoding, 44100 HZ sample rate, 6 channels, 24 bits and save each channel in a different folder.
    Step 3 - Pick your output folder (i left all of the other options ticked on this screen).
    Step 4 - Click Start.

Now you will have 6 separate wav files for each song. Now use (Surcode DVD) DTS to mix all six files in one glorious DTS Wav file as follows:

Pick a destination folder and save type as WAV.

Select 44.1 Sample rate (Not 48 it doesn't work)
    Choose a file for each channel from your 6 WAV files.
    Front l is channel 1.
    front R is channel 2.
    Centre is channel 3.
    Sub Bass channel 4.
    Rear l channel 5.
    Real R channel 6.
    Click encode.

Finally burn all your DTS WAV files/songs which u mixed, onto an ordinary audio disc. Tats all, now u have a awsome normal audio cd which is playable on any home theatres which provides dts sound :) adios....pssssst: for whoever needs those both softwares with cracks, msg me on msn messenger or mail me :) deejay_krish@hotmail.com

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  8. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

is it me or i dont see the point. upmixing from wav to 5.1 dts wav just messes with a stereo signal?

i have a decent home cinema rig (phat yamaha amp and mordaunt short 7.1 speakers) and i just can stick it on 7.1 stereo, dts neo (7.1) or pro logic 2x(pro logic 2 but 7.1)

how does the software know which stereo image to split to each descrete channel?

surely a high quality wav - split using my AV amp will sound better than 6 channels of lesser quality wav? plus i now dont get the extra 2.1 channels im used to in 7.1.

also unless music is actually 3d audio imaged (rather than 2d stereo image) then how does it know where to place instruments? its just pro logic but saved at 5.1 surely? or am i missing something?

for example i have the tubluar bells dts dvd. now, that has been setup in some form of sequencer (nuendo etc) to be 6 descrete channels, panning around and playing off each other. wheras the keane cd im listening to know just has the 2 rears mimicing the front 3 but with no vocal - the same as pro logic 2x/ dts neo would do.... and to be honest i trust my yahamaha amp more to do it than the upmixing software....

/me is confused lol!

9. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

ok, just compared the 5.1 upmix to a stereo cd going thru my amp as 7.1 stereo and neo music 7.1 (pseudo surround - like pro logic2x) and pro logic2x music mode. and i have to say the stereo cd sounds better.

i would imagine these cds are only for people without decent hardware decoders? (like an old av amp with no pro logic etc on?)

the sound signal sounded much sharper.... as i suppose it is only 2 channels squeezed onto a cd rather than 6. plus it sounds very much like using dts upix the left and righ channels are identical? seemed like an odd mono sound....

or am i missing something? lol