1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Taider54

Taider54 Member

jonb trini thank u very much i went and used my parents comp and it worked. now i have a new problem and i hope u can help. the new HD works but i can't turn on my softmod it says failure. so i was wonderin if i did somethin wrong or do i have to resoftmod my xbox

2. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@Taider54 - What do you mean you can't turn on your softmod? The Xbox should already be softmodded, there's nothing to turn on or turn off...

3. Taider54

Taider54 Member

when i put splinter cell in and click on the save it takes me to a diff screen and it allows me to turn it on or off. but when i try to do that it won't let me.

i know i could because with my old hard drive i could turn it off so i could play online

4. Slith

Slith Guest

Taider, what softmod are you using?

You must be using a newer version of Ldots Itools...after reading jon's tutorial, it doesn't look like you are given the ability to turn it "on" or "off".

Maybe you're using a different dashboard? Or perhaps Installing and Uninstalling?

5. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@Taider54 - there IS NO OPTION to turn the softmod on or off...there is no newer version of ltools, 1.8 is actually the newest one, and there's no difference from 1.7.5 except for a few dual boot changes....

6. tgienger

tgienger Member

the only thing you can turn on or off is a modchip or if you put switches on an old bios.

7. buzzk

buzzk Guest

I'm getting the "hard drive is frozen" message also. I have looked through my bios and can't find where to turn off the security. I don't have access to another PC either. Is there another tool to use to lock the HDD?

8. SnoopstaJ

SnoopstaJ Member

I just realized that Taider might be using the Softmod Auto-Installer 2.0, and once softmodded, pressing the eject button while it's off takes you to the UnrealX installation screen, where it gives you the option to "Restore MS Backup." This is what I used and this option is available as long as you haven't deleted the save files off the drive. To unmod it again, of course you have to put the saves back on and press the eject button again, and then "Restore Mod Backup."

9. skpippins

skpippins Guest

i tried all your steps was easy but during the install it said it couldnt find the eeprom and or i typed lockhd-a and it said cannot find password.any help would be appreciated thanks skpippins.thats the only problem im having otherwise everything else worked.but i been triing for days now and i really want that large hdd in there

10. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

Make sure you're putting the eeprom.bin file in the proper folder as noted in my tutorial...other than that, i don't know what could be the problem for you...try re-typing lockhd -a when it gives you the error message and see if it will lock the drive...

11. 3xiled

3xiled Member

I got the frozen hard drive drive error to. How do i disable this in the bios.

12. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

I have no idea how to disable this in the bios, especially since most computers are different in how they handle this. Your best bet would be to try another computer for the locking of the harddrive.

13. 3xiled

3xiled Member

I was wondering because i have my hard drive formated and everything if i can use the xbox with out the hd being locked.

14. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

Nah it won't boot with an unlocked HD....

15. 3xiled

3xiled Member

Is there another way to lock the hard drive. I dont have another pc or does any one i know. Can i use another program or something.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  16. bassmutan

bassmutan Member

These tutorials, for the soft mod and hd upgrade were great. I just softmodded yesterday with a blockbuster copy of mechwarrior, and then attempted the hd upgrade with a 120gb maxtor 7200rpm drive. Everything worked fine per instructions up to the part about the frozen drive issue. The piece of sh*t intel mobo i was using didn't have any bios options for disabling the drive, so I did what any desperate fool would do. I unplugged the power cable , booting only from cdrom, when the linux boot screen came up, where you put 1, 3, ect, i plugged it in carefully. After that, ran lockhd -a, and everything was gravy after. Thanks again. Just be careful, first time, i shorted a connection and shut the whole box down, so be cautious and plug it in quickly.

17. Lewda99

Lewda99 Member

I am using the hdm 1.9 to make a bootable disk to upgrade my HDD and I can get it to boot... but when I choose the first option (boot VGA console etc. etc.) it thinks for a litte while and loads a few files then reboots my computer.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they overcame it. Thanks in advance.

18. ianio747

ianio747 Guest

jonbtrini -

I followed your softmod guide perfectly... and it worked my first try. Now I followed you Changing HDD guide, but like someone else I encountered the frozen HDD issue. The message says I have to disable the primary IDE automatic detection... but I have no idea how to do this.

I am using ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard... and when I enter BIOS, I cannot find anything like what the message describes. Also, I do not happen to have another computer to use. Please help!!! Is there a way to make my HDD not frozen???

19. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

Everyone who is having the frozen HDD error message, i am really sorry but even I do not know how to disable this in the bios. Try google search maybe it will tell you? I have two PCs and if one doesn't work, the other does....so i've never had to face this problem...

20. ianio747

ianio747 Guest

bassmutan-

First of all, I want to thank you. I re-read the posts on this forum, and saw one by you where you described a frozen drive problem as well. Like you, my BIOS screen didn't have an option to enable/disable the automatic detection of the primary IDE... and I thought I was screwed when it came to completing the Xbox HDD transfer.

I tried your method... plug in the HDD after BIOS boot-up, and sure enough it worked like a charm. Now I sit here with my softmodded Xbox and a 120GB HDD working perfectly.

I again wanted to thank 'jonbtrini' and 'bassmutan' for the very valuable information I used to complete my Xbox project. Happy modding!!!