1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it possible to become a moderator over time??

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by dr.cool, Nov 17, 2005.

1. kumipuu

kumipuu Guest

self hardly ever would like moderator, but certainly interesting trade should first be lot of time and good nerves? but i haven`t which from like this. bad of the regret my english hopefully understood even something?

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

nope, did not understand a word...... ;)

3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

kimipuu- You cannot get away with just using a translator for Finnish to English and English to Finnish. Trust me, I occasionally pop into the Finnish forums! Good thing you nearly all speak good english! :)

4. kumipuu

kumipuu Guest

thanks! i try to fix my english language.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you are getting there & english is supposedly the hardest languge to learn.

6. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

It's probably the easiest language to speak, but it's the hardest to learn the stupid rules surronding the way you write it. I'd spell "write" and "right" as "ryt" if I could. It's only supported so much because it impliments a whole bunch of words into it from different languages.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Speaking English isn't all that hard but being fluent is an altogether different story. There are so many idiosyncrasies it borders on the ridiculous.

8. ddp

that is 1 of the reasons english is the hardest to learn.

9. Boheemia

Boheemia Regular member

Hi everyone, I just want you guys to know that this is my first post in the english forums.. let's see how it goes ;)

But to the subject: You're saying english is difficult or even one of the hardest languages to learn. Let me prove you all wrong. :D

At school level I studied french (10 years), english (8 years) and swedish (6 years) and I easily found english the easiest of them.

Why so? Because (im now mostly comparing it to finnish and french) it is more simple. For example, you don't conjugate your verbs in persons(?). You may say: "I ban, you ban, they ban" etc. Also, the grammar is not too complicated and there just aren't too many annoying irregularities and other stupid stuff.

I'd also argue that most finnish people think that english and swedish are the easier languages to learn at school (in Finland), and the difficult ones are german, french, russian etc.

Speaking a language fluently is of course another thing. I have now been studying at university of Glasgow for 3 months and compared to avarage finnish folk I probably speak quite fluent english. But when compared to native Scottish people there's still a huge difference that will take long to overcome.

In general I think the most difficult languages in the world are probably arabic, hebrew, chinese... and finnish, just to mention a few. That has also been agreed by a few englishmen as well, one of them seriously trying to learn finnish and constantly complaining how stupid and tough it is :p.

What do you think of all that? Does it make any sense? Im too tired to read it through...

And as to the original topic of this thread: Haven't all moderators been hand-picked from the most active users by admins over time?

10. Nephilim

If we're taking about extremely difficult languages then Navajo has to be one of the hardest. The actual structure and application of words is totally unlike major languages and the enunciations are very hard to make correctly. I've a buddy that's Navajo and I've tried like hell to pronounce some simple words correctly and it's almost a lost cause.

11. Nephilim

Forgot to hello Boheemia, good to see you pop in :)

12. Boheemia

Boheemia Regular member

Thanks Nephilim, it has been a pleasure to watch your and other moderator's work around here.. ;)

Btw, was it Navajo that was used in WW2 for encrypted communication by the US? I think I saw a movie about it... the Windtalkers(?) if I remember correctly.

13. Nephilim

Yup. The US employed Navajos in the Pacific theater of WW2 by using their language to send critical information. The way the language is structured plus the way the language was employed made it the only code that the Japanese couldn't break :)

14. ireland

ireland Active member

just info...

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
    805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
    WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060
    Navajo Code Talkers: World War II Fact Sheet

Research by Alexander Molnar Jr., U.S. Marine Corps/U.S. Army (Ret.)

Prepared by the Navy & Marine Corps WWII Commemorative Committee

Related resources:

American Indian Medal of Honor Winners
    Navajo Code Talkers in World War II: A Bibliography
    Navajo Code Talker Dictionary

Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Peleliu, Iwo Jima: the Navajo code talkers took part in every assault the U.S. Marines conducted in the Pacific from 1942 to 1945. They served in all six Marine divisions, Marine Raider battalions and Marine parachute units, transmitting messages by telephone and radio in their native language -- a code that the Japanese never broke.

The idea to use Navajo for secure communications came from Philip Johnston, the son of a missionary to the Navajos and one of the few non-Navajos who spoke their language fluently. Johnston, reared on the Navajo reservation, was a World War I veteran who knew of the military's search for a code that would withstand all attempts to decipher it. He also knew that Native American languages--notably Choctaw--had been used in World War I to encode messages.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq61-2.htm

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  15. GI2

GI2 Regular member

Oldest topics I have ever read and I you guys just made me laugh... but in a good way...

Being Moderator is kinda tough. Suspend the newbs out there, Give warnings in here, end discussions right there... All those stuff feel like the Police 24/7. I think that our Moderators get some sleep. But who knows... They might be awake right now... But as far as I know is. It's tough to be on the force. So I'd rather be a AD member than a Moderator cause we all know it's the toughest job yet in AD. So. Cheers to those Moderators who can really handle the job! :)

16. ddp

i'm awake.

17. GI2

GI2 Regular member

At least now I know you moderators get some sleep. :)

18. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

i was under the impression ddp's motto was "there'll be plenty of time to sleep when i'm dead"

19. ddp

i'm the waking dead.

20. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Always hear the thunder of ddp gathering his lightning bolts to use.....noobs and threads disappear before I get the time to finish reporting them, and all I see left is a smoldering mess.