1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP?! Burned DVD-Rs no longer play in dvd player, only on pc

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by generalno, Dec 14, 2005.

1. walfre

walfre Member

Hi I had similar prob with burned discs not playing on anything other than dvd writer I burned them on. Followed the advice given to upgrade the firmware, (my son did this for me as I didn't know what it was either). Reburned discs on upgraded writer & they now play on 5 out of 6 machines I tried them on.

2. axlman

axlman Regular member

I've burned about 100 + DVD's already, I know, nothing compared to some people, but I have never had a problem playing them in my older GE DVD player. When I backup a movie, I always set the "Book Type" to DVD-ROM

3. 1!2"3£4$

1!2"3£4$ Guest

axlman what you are saying then if you book mark your film back ups dvd-rom this should solve a lot of play back problems on dvd systems as mine is just left to automatic of which i dont no the setting it gives me will try this on my back ups next time thanks for the info

4. axlman

axlman Regular member

Well, I can't say that it will solve all your problems. But I know that I have yet to have a problem playing any of my Backups in a standalone DVD player. MY DVD player is about 5 years old give or take and I got it sometime before Burning movies was a thing to do.

I like to always set the "BookType" to DVD-ROM so that standalone players can't/won't know that the disk is a DVD+-R

But give it a shot with a DVD or 2, see what you get?!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  5. generalno

generalno Member

How do I booktype a burned dvd to dvdrom? I generally use Nero 6 & its related programs, and have windvd but it is always having errors and wont even complete burns. And use dvd decryptor.

Im still having the video & audio out of synch problems though when trying to burn dvds from video files. As soon as i load video files into Nero or other programs to burn, even before burning them, when previewing project the audio is @ 2 seconds after where it should be synched with the video portion of videos to burn. And nothing ive done has changed it. Someone said i need more space, even though i have @ 10GB free on my notebook main harddrive and @ 16GB free on external harddrive. Which seems like it should be plenty of free space? Does it matter if i compose project on main harddrive or an external hardrive? Though they are connected through a slower usb port, not a firewire port.

6. axlman

axlman Regular member

You have to set the booktype before you burn the DVD. You cannot set the booktype after it's been burned.

7. rp_024

rp_024 Guest

Book type doesn't matter. I have the same problem. I have 923 movies and everyone play on my 3 crappo dvd players. My most expensive one has the same choppy issues. My DVD's won't play on my laptops, they get about halfway through and start chopping. I throw it in the player connected to the tele and it works flawlessly. I go throw it in the expensive player and it chops up. I take it back to the computer to see if I can re-copy and make a perfect burned copy of my copies. Same issues on same players and laptops. Seems the higher end machines don't like copy media. I only use Ritek and Sony Dvd-r. I have a plextor 712a burner and only burn @ 2x and normally remove all compression from my movies [I only rip main movie, and all compression is removed only if I can]. I've been doing this for 2 years and have posted questions about this same problem all over the place, asked friends. It seems many many people have the same problems, but no answers to fix.

8. axlman

axlman Regular member

Hmmm.. I have no problems playing them on my PC or DVD Player, or my portable. Can't say about a laptop since I don't have one. I also use a Plexy 712A.

9. rp_024

rp_024 Guest

It's the strangest thing. You'd think it was a bad burn or media or something like a bad sector or something. However, I'm still able to play with no problems at all on some peoples players and in the van. I'm able to re-backup with no problems either. If it were a CRC or scratch it would be able to be re-backed up. Very mind boggling. Somebody has to come up with a way to fix bad sectors with some kind of software, like the IFOEdit software which replaces bad IFO's and such. That would be a money maker.

10. spartacu

spartacu Member

Actually the newer dvd players such as a SONY don't like copies of movies. The older players play them well. Also I bought a region-free dvdplayer and it plays every format including PAL/vcd/dvd/svcd format. There hasn't been a movie burned that it hasn't played. It also isn't that expensive. The SONY players have protection in them so they won't play burned copies.

11. axlman

axlman Regular member

Well, Guess I'll never buy a Sony DVD Player then. Heck, That's ok though, My GE DVD Player is still going Strong! And being a PC Tech myself, if something simple in the unit decides to break, there's a good chance that I'll beable to fix it myself, well with the help of Radio Shack of course! :)