1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Players, The Recorders, The Discs and The Films

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Nicklt, Jan 23, 2006.

1. necroviz

necroviz Guest

i dont want to have to buy another burner i spent a fortune on a dl one recently

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

3. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Funny how now that there are readily available DVD Authoring software the new formats have a chance to become standard... Are there any authoring programs for the new formats?

Anyways, I was wondering, is that wmv-HD the same as windows media 9 wmvs?? I have Sony Vegas which allows me to use either mainconept or sony AVC/AAC for mpeg-4 or windows media 9. I do not care much about the audio as I will be using these codecs to compress movies down to 700MB.

BTW, how does that LPCM compare to stuff like reel to reel and records. The reason is that I have a cassette player (yes cassette tape) that completely blows away DTS (on a DVD). I then have a record player that blows away the cassette player and a reel to reel player that makes the record player sound pretty bad...

The audio quality of the new formats interests me a bit. The reason being that reel to reel tapes are tough to find and expensive (and you can only record like 12 minutes or something). I would like to record myself and listen to music I play and not have it sound really bad.

4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  5. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Thanks for the response and link.

6. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

This thread has great info on Blu-Ray. Was wondering if anybody has made a similar thread for HD-DVD? I was wondering how long until major brands or Toshiba develop alternative HD-DVD players.

7. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I think Toshiba will release the players annually. There is no reason for them to make different models because it would only cost them more (there are two available now). Also, it is a new technology so you should expect limited availability. I was also shocked to see the A1 version for only $400... Already a $100 price drop!!

8. ste0

ste0 Guest

Very intersting reading STICKY

I cant wait to play a game about 50 gig id say ill be waiting a while

9. raperape

raperape Guest

Sony players is working good?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2006
  10. Adamontar

Adamontar Member

When comparing the pros and cons of a standard dvd and that of blu-ray, I will stick with the standard dvd.
    -I saw the comparison between standard and high deffinition on a tv screen side by side, the high deffinition looks a bit better, but its not like going from black and white to colour. The only time I think you can see the difference if you watch a hd movie on a big screen such as projector, and how many people have those.
    - and who says all those movies you purchase on blu ray are really hd, just as much as you see bad quality standard dvds.
    - dont they use alluminium in blu ray discs, the data layer is just 0.1mm from the surface, only 0.1mm protects the alluminium from oxidizing, compared to 0.6mm on a standared dvd. If this is such good technology they would use gold.
    -Most connections between TVs and dvd players cannot show true hd picture quality. They dont even use fibre optic cables, which I believe is the only true digital connection between a dvd player and a TV.

11. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

I have something too say about the guy that says screw that look all you have too do is upgrade too the new player it will play all your movies current and then if you dont have something buy it in BD format although won't look very good on a regular tv I imagine.

12. opiate691

opiate691 Guest

I have a Sony Blu-Ray-DVD recorder and cannot fill the disk's space with more than 10 Gb. Why? Maybe I should take my money back?

13. techman2

techman2 Guest

I Think that it was a good idea by sony to make A 50GB disk for Great Videos, but it won't cetch on for a while because of the price the players are $1000 and i don't even want to talk about recorders and again sony has keep the Product to there selves , just like the beta tape, the beta tape was shot out of the air because they wouldn't give the patent up so others got to gether and made the VHS.
    And i have heard that there are already people that are making a new disk to compete aginst the Blu-Ray

14. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I won't be an adoptee of either format until about 2009 (when high definition over the air TV is mandantory) before buying a recorder & player plus a brand new High Def TV. First off they are way too expensive right now & I want to see which HD DVD format wins the format war if it's won by then.

When Beta & VHS came out I chose VHS & thankfully it won the war so I hope I pick the right HD DVD choice some day.

As far as the DVD -R vs +R formats I chose -R from the beginning for single layer & am staying with +R for the double layer discs. I'm very happy with that.

15. droogie01

droogie01 Member

i hear alot of complaining about buying the same movie over again, and it makes me wonder how long it will take after the relase for the movies to be up for download on blu-ray, also how many people actually pay for there dvd collection as of now?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  16. elasu3

elasu3 Guest

wow they look nice.

17. solarf

solarf Member

really informative. I still don't know which one to get but very informative.

18. jlbomba

jlbomba Guest

you people are allowing yourselves to be sucked in by sony again. I refuse to buy anything from sony. I don't trust them especially after their computer invading software.

19. mglez86

mglez86 Guest

so everyone said by 2006 Blu ray would be selling all over, it's 2007 and i can hardly find anything on the matter, it seems to me like Blu ray is more for computer people than for movie fans, i think it will serve better as back up media becuase of the size, or for movie fans only if they want to make back ups of their movies, maebe they could fit 10 movies but not in hd, just the regular format that runs around. so i came to this to see if i felt interested in Blu ray, but i am not feeling that motivated into spending money on it.

20. Wylee

Wylee Guest

hey i just posted this to see what it sed under my name (newbie or w/e) please just ignore this while i hope its not against the rules.