1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Read First** Dvd Burners.. What to look for?! **

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Ripper, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

LOL!

Don't worry about it. We all know how temperamental that ban button can be creaky ;-)

Thanks for sorting it quickly, though.

Edit: All back to normal now, ty

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  2. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

I'm suprised you didnt mention benq or sony, (both very good in my opinion)

also to be noted that drives in some cases should be treated like media when buying them; that is to say that not all models are manufactured by the company selling them.

and cybrspwn i love my lite-on. i can burn on any media at any speed with out burn/playback problems (except cmc's and prico's of course lol)

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I was sure at least BenQ was on there. Well, anyway, I've added it. Lol. Sony isn't being added - most of their drives are OEM anyway, I think.

@2nd point...

Yes, there is no section on the guide about retail or OEM drives, i'll add it when I can be bothered to write something about it. :)
    Well pointed out though.

4. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

this is true but i still check for sony drives when i buy burners since they can be benqs :D

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yeah, I was pretty sure most of them are OEM. Most of their drives tend to be Lite-Ons.. I think ;)

6. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Philips needs to be added to the list . . after all, the good model BenQ drives (1620, 1625, 1640, 1650, 1655) all use the awesome Philips chipset . . .

My favorite drive is still the DW1640 BenQ with a crossflashed 1655 (to 1650) just behind . . but let me tell you, the Philips SPD2413BD is a great burner . . I'm getting great scans and the darn thing is lightening quick! It will burn my Verbatim 16x +R discs at 20x without sacrificing burn quality

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827248006

Victor

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I thought Phillips drives were OEM BenQs, not that BenQ used Phillips chipsets? :O

8. catfreak

catfreak Active member

BenQ DW1620, 1625, 1640, 1650, 1655 all used Philips chipsets.

Also that wonderful utility, SolidBurn is a Philips creation . . .

Unfortunately, BenQ drives are no longer being manufactured so I started looking around. Being a person who likes to try drives that don't seem to be as popular, I was among the first to fall in love with the BenQ drives. Now, I feel that one of the best is the Philips.

I have quite a selection of drives and of the drives that are currently in production (and easily available) my current favorite is the Philips. It doesn't do LightScribe but I have a HP 740b that I only use for LightScribe . .

All in all, drives in general seem to be better now than the drives that were available 5 years ago

Victor

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Agreed. I was by no means "in the know", so to speak, 5 years ago (I'd have been 10 5 yrs ago :p), but I have been around for over a year now, I can say the same in that small space of time.

10. docTY

docTY Regular member

@catfreak

hi buddy, guess who? LOL

is there a Philips SATA burner you would recommend at this point? i have since stopped purchasing IDE burners and have taken the SATA route, however, my success (or lack thereof) in SATA opticals has been poor, returned a few Plextor and Sony/NEC Optiarc models already :( wanted to try Pioneer's latest SATA drive, but the 2 places i ordered from one etailer sent me the wrong drive (returned for refund) and the other was backordered the day after i placed the order, so no go there.

i still remember years back where you made me a loyal Benq drive fan and have since gone through (3) 1640s, and (2) 1650s; they've served their purposes and after thousands of burns, they have been retired from my burning arsenal (still serve as fast rippers, but burning dvd+r no more/occasional dvd-r is still fine) :)

just wondering if you have any experience/insight into a good quality/reliable SATA optical, i need to replace my aging PATA/IDE opticals (Benq, Pioneer, Liteon, NEC, Sony - various models of each) before i'm completely outdated with old tech. :)

thanks and hope you have been well~

docTY

11. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

here's a cool link that mort81 showed me that may help people buying oem drives, or if your just curious on who actually made your drive.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters
    i took a look at some benq's and it looks like a number of the DO use the philips chipsets

12. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

13. ksaunders

ksaunders Member

I am looking for a new dvd-r drive. Top I want to spend is 150.00. I have an hp dvd740e now and its not seeing dvd-r at all. I like the lightscibe feature but hardly use I just print labels instead. I would like external also. I burn 3-6 times a week. Can you give me a few options ripper?

Thanks in Advance

14. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

@doc
    good to see you outside your thread :) you do wander around a bit here at AD don't you?
    and don't worry old man, im still not up to sata or firewire myself and i'm a young'n. theres just not that much of a benifit imo to getting either. (well firewire would be a great jump over usb i guess.)

@ksaunders

i always have and always will be a fan of lite-ons. i've had a few external usb's from them and they have always been great drives, they also are available for quite reasonable prices. of course if you can find a benq i would suggest that as well, but they can be hard to come by.

newegg.com has a few ext. liteys (click that link)and they are under $60 :) and they are faster than the ext. plextor newegg has for around $140 (hmmm.....)

it shouldn't be hard to find a good drive for under 150, even with ls most drives aren't going to be that high.

15. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@ripper
    Can't believe I missed this post until now!

Great info and you even have my 2 fav's listed :)

16. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Heya :)

Hehe, how'd you miss it?! Duh :p

Hope you're OK - heard about the op. Hope everything is alright :)

17. binkie7

Yeah pretty much ok :)
    What's ironic is this injury was also caused by staying in shape - then again I am a klutz :)
    Doing the op between semesters - eck!!

Hey and if you don't mind I might link to this thread at another site in the next day or so - giving you all the credit of course!

18. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Oh right! What did you do exactly? >.<

And sure, no probs Karen. I don't mind in the slightest :)

19. binkie7

I'll do a post over at BB sometime today or tomorrow w/ the details - pretty boring I think :)

I'll post a link here when I post your guide. Tks there young ripper :)

20. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Okie, sure. And it's alright :)