*QUESTION ON TV TUNER LEADTEK WINFAST??

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by xxnonamex, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Minion

Minion Senior member

It doesn"t Matter if you agree or Not it is a Known Fact that Any time to re-compress a Video file you will Loose Quality No matter what the Bitrate you use or Format Unless you are useing Lossless formats of which there are very Few...When a Codec Compresses It throws away Video Information that is not supposed to be Noticeable ,The Less Noticeable the Trown away Video data is the Better the codec is, And when you Raise the Bitrate it throws away Less Data and when you Lower the Bitrate the More Data gets thrown away.....Cheers

2. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I recorded a VHS to my hardrive no problem. Now I am trying to use TMPGenc DVD author to edit it. I don't know how to use it. Can anyone help me out thanks alot I have it in NTFS.

3. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

Hi I also tried Pinnacle studio 8 they have a capture and edit and make a movie in simple fashion but I can capture it without a problem but I have a problem when I try to burn it. Can anyone help Thanks

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

I would stay away from Studio 8 personally and you do Not edit with Tmpgenc DVD author, It will do simple Trimming but not editing ,To actually edit ,Like edit out comercials from a Movies file that is in Mpeg format you will need a Mpeg editor like Mpeg2VCR....

5. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo Minion, I read about the Cyberlink PowerDVR II and looks more powerful than InterVideo WinDVR, what do you think? I'm using WinDVR 3.0 now and maybe try to get hold of the PowerDVR II to see the difference.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

There is no such thing as PowerDVR ,You either mean Power Director or PowerVCR ,Of which PowerVCR is really old and they haven"t updated it in close to 2 years and the Quality isn"t that Good, PowerDirector is a better Program But it is More of a Video editng DVD/VCD/SVCD Creation program with Capture Features and I also have the Latest version of this and the Capture Quality is Pretty Good but not as good as WinDVR 3.0 and your PC has to be Really Really Fast to capture high Bitrate Full resolution Mpeg2 files, I was even dropping Frames on My 2.8ghz PC so you must need a Dynamo of a machine to use it properly....Cheers

7. Garrys

Garrys Guest

I totally disagree that TmpGenc DVD Author cannot cut out commercials. It is the only program that I use to trim, cut and produce the DVD files. It does a brilliant job and I can fully edit a movie in less than 10 minutes, including make the menu, and have it ready to output.

Simply click on the clip, then click 'Edit'.
    You will then go to the preview/edit window, then click on 'Chapter cut edit'. To trim the ends, use the down arrow key to fast forward till you see the fame you want to start on, then click on 'Set as start frame', move the slider to the end of the movie and use the up arrow key to rewind to the frame you want to end on, then click on 'Set as end frame'.
    Then click on 'Edit menu' and select 'Cut all but currently selected range'.

Then move the slider back to the start of the movie and carefully move the slider through the movie till you come to the first ad. Move the up/down arrow keys to get to the first frame of the fade-in at the start of the ad, then click on 'Set as start frame'. Move the slider till you see the end of the ad and again use the up/down arrow keys to find the black frame after the end of the ads and click on 'Set as end frame'. Then simply click on 'Cut' and then 'Yes' and repeat this till all the commercials are cut.
    Then click on 'OK' at the bottom of the window and you will be returned to 'Source Setup' window. Do this for each clip, if you have more than one.

By the way, I tried Intervideo DVr3 and it does a slightly better job than the Winfast PVR software at recording DVD PAL Mpeg2, probably because the bitrate is set to maximum. TmpGenc DVD Author reported that the bitrate exceeded the maximum allowed, but I clicked on 'Ignore' and it produced a very good DVD after I shrunk it with DVD Shrink to make it fit. Another 35 minutes on time though!

The new version of DVD Shrink (3.130) is very good.

8. npenel

npenel Member

Sorry same message as the general one.

I bought Winfast TV 2000XP Expert and installed it. The sound and the videao are fine. But when i want to record, only the video is recorded, NO SOUND. I red javed13 problem and i tried others record line and audio volume line, but doesn't solve the problem.

My pilot version is 5.13.1.1309

Any suggestion please ?

9. Garrys

Garrys Guest

The Winfast PVR software (for some strange reason) switches the audio input for recording to aux. Double click on your volume control icon on the task bar and select'options' ' properties' ' recording' and check the 'line in' box. You have to do this each time you start PVR.
    If you are recording from TV you have to link the sound out from the Winfast card to the line in on your audio card, with the lead provided.

10. npenel

npenel Member

Tank you Garry for your reply. I verify the Line In check box in the record option, it was already checked. So it doesn't seem to come from that.

11. npenel

npenel Member

Ok i found the solution. I have to use the CD audio channel. The recorded sound is not very good quality, but it work. thank you again to put me on the good way.

12. xxnonamex

xxnonamex Guest

I captured my vhs from my Winfast tv tuner to my harddrive. I am now trying to burn it onto a DVD. When I try to open up TMPGenc it gives me a error sorry for the inconvienience but it has to close microsoft has encountered an error. Is there any other software that I can use? Also what settings do I need to use in order to burn it to a dvd Thanks so much

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

If Tmpgenc DVD author Crashes when you Load your Captured file into it then it could be because of your File..Tmpgenc DVD author is Probably the easiest to use DVD Authoring Program out there but it is also Very basic and doesn"t make stunning DVD"s..The one I use Most often because it is easy to use and has Lots of cool features and makes very Nice looking DVD"s is "DVD-Lab" you can download a 30 day demo here "http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/" you should read through the help file to get an idea how to use it properly...Cheers

14. npenel

npenel Member

Yesterday i wrote a message saying i can't record any sound with my Winfast TV 2000XP Expert. Garrys helped me to find the solution. I had to change the record line option to "CE Audio" instead of "Line in". the audio volume line is still on "Line in" option. Any other combination does not work.
    But the sound recorded now is a poor quality. It seems to be in the background. I tried others compression format with no success.
    Any idea ?

15. ramboat

ramboat Member

Hi - I think that the pvr software changes the audio recording line based on what you've set in the pvr capture settings.

Anyway - I don't know what nepenel's problem is but I have an audio problem of my own.

I just installed a tv2000 expert. I have no trouble recording with the pvr software with any video codec. The audio also records fine if I don't select any audio compression codec. However, if I select any audio compression codec at all (like mpeg layer-3), then the resulting file has no sound at all. Pulling up the file's properties shows the audio codec I've selected -but no audio has been recorded. It's not a problem with selecting the correct recording line because when I select no audio compression codec, the sound records fine - it only doesn't work when I choose an audio compression codec. If anyone has any ideas what might be going on, I'd be very grateful!

16. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo Minion, I took your advice on using WinDVR and customise settings to video 4700kbs, audio 384kbs and it works in copying 2hrs of video into a single DVD+R. I notice that there is also setting like NTSC DVD, NTSC 1/2DVD, NTSC 1/4DVD how much are they different? What settings should I use for 90mins recording?

17. bobbych

bobbych Member

i purchased a 2infast expert a few months ago, and i must admit the video captures are great, but the audio quality is terrible. if i capture from TV tuner, the sound is crap, but if i capture froma source, such as VHs, through the PHONO input, i bypass this by putting my sound direct into my soundcard. a workaround, but it works, but cant do anything about the tv tuner sound

18. Minion

Minion Senior member

onestop : Those other Templates are Just standardized templates with Set Bitrates that can not be Changed unless you Make a Copy of the Template and then Change it and then save it as a New Template, 1/2 DVD is a DVD Standard Actually called Half D1, it uses Half the Resolution of Standard DVD"s It uses 352+480/576-pal and the 1/4 DVD setting is a Standard Called "Sif" it uses a resolution 1/4 of the standard DVD which is 352+240/288-Pal which is the same as VCD, these are Lower Quality standards that the Regular Full D1 DVD Standard, but do allow you to get a Lot more on a DVD...What you should get is a "Bitrate Calculator" so you can determine the Bitrate you should use for the Length of your Movie..When I use WinDVR 3.0 I set up my Own Template But I use the Max bitrate of 20,000kbs and then I re-encode that File with a Good encoder and then Put that File on DVD and it Produces pretty High Quality DVD"s ....Cheers

19. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello Minion, I'm using TMPG DVD Author ver 1.5.13.44 to create DVD file for burning into DVD+R but I encountered serveral problems like :

1. Opening 1st mpeg was OK but the 2nd one will always prompt "could not initialise decoder", I tried recording the 2 part afew times already.

2. Menu chapters doesn't work when I try to set start frame and end frame manually before adding as chapters. It appears alright in the editing menu but doesn't appear at all in the Menu selection before output.

3. During editing, the preview don't seem to have audio playback when the mpeg2 video is recorded in AC3 format.

20. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I really couldn"t tell you the Problem Because I do not use Tmpgenc DVD author Cuz it is Far to Mickey Mouse for me...The reason whay you do not get Audio Playback is Because Tmpgenc DVD author doesn"t Support audio Playback when previewing Files Unless you have the Tmpgenc Sound Player installed with the AC3 Plugin...All I can think of that you try with the File is to try and demux the Files and then Load the Files into tmpgenc DVD author seperately or Demux them and then Re-Mux them and then they to author them to DVD, Or Just use a Different authoring Program ,I like useing DVD Lab because it is Flexable and easy to use and Has Much Better featues than tmpgenc DVD author.....good Luck