1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

create an iso in under 5 mins then burn

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by tripplite, Oct 29, 2007.

1. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i hate creating titles any suggestions before i submit it in user submitted guides,

also if any one can read it through if you find an area that doesn't make sense, or needs further clarification please ask so that i can add to it..

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

How about the one bbmayo suggested - something like 'create an iso in under 5 mins then burn' - also similar to what you have now.

Oh and it's the the user submitted guides forum now.

3. tripplite

tripplite Guest

ha ha ha ha, i almost pissed my pants man, i didn't realize you moved it for me, thanxs

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Not a problem :)

Thanks for the guide

5. ebswift

ebswift Member

Got links to free programs that can make free iso's? i.e., CD, DVD and DVD video ISO's unrestricted by size?

6. ebswift

ebswift Member

The burn function is only useless if you don't install the Windows 2003 Resource Kit tools (free). I burn stuff all the time with it.

7. varnull

varnull Guest

Actually the whole project is pretty pointless.. The only reason I can think of for using any antiquated method like this is if you only have dos burn tools like rawrite, or you need a disk image (boot files etc) on a flash drive.
    Even then there are old and well known tools that do the same job..

mkisofs.exe (a tool to create/build the CDRom ISO image file)
    build-iso.cmd (batch file to create floppy and iso image)

I don't see any way of making the .iso bootable with this oldie, so you still need to make whatever flash you put the files on bootable with a tool like cfdisk before adding the file... Even so, just about every burning software in existence gives the option to save as a .iso file instead of burning.. DOISO does no more than adding a pointless step to burning a plain data disk... which I'm sure we all know anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2007
  8. ebswift

ebswift Member

Yep, you're right. There are hundreds of programs that can create a DVD-sized ISO. There are very few that can burn a DVD-sized image that are free.

That's what sets mkisofs apart right? And if you don't like DoISO, then just run mkisofs from the commandline, you can do everything DoISO can do just as effectively. Personally I found all the commandline options a bit difficult to remember off the top of my head when only using periodically.

I'd still like to see at least a partial list of these hundreds of free programs that can make a DVD sized ISO. Or if you're not talking about free software then what's the point?

9. varnull

varnull Guest

Why bother listing them.. google does a great job ;-)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=freeware+burning+programs&meta=&btnG=Google+Search

Now.. hands up windows users who have ever burned a cd from a dos command prompt? http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=dos+cd+burning+commands&btnG=Search&meta=

and then there is always the custom batch file made by the individual (oh how I hated writing those)

Doesn't everybody have at least one copy of nero oem that came with a burner? I have something like 500 disks of nero5 that came from a closing down local pc shop a couple of years ago (the red ones :lol:)
    I give them away to anybody who wants one.. and I believe there is a site which archives free fully functional images of nero old versions for people to download... Binkie saw the link once.. I sourced links to the spalsh of every version from it.

As command line cd writing is a long way in the past now (unless you like punishment.. use slax killbill live which includes k3b!!) I can't see why raking over all the mistakes of the old dos days helps anybody brought up on a diet of one click applications.

You get it.. I get it.. and probably a lot of the old timers here will remember and shudder at the memories of dos cd burning way back when..
    I have (thankfully) forgotten most of those tricks/hacks for dos/win 3.1 and get along happily with my fully linux house, where command line iso making and burning still happen occasionally.

I'm not rubbishing what seems like a handy little tool on the very rare occasion you might need to do something a little off the wall.. Personally I would put it on a bootable cd along with a heap of system tools.. like hirons boot disk, which doesn't have such an application, where it could really come in useful..burning essential data backups to disk from a dead/non booting system...
    I just don't think we should confuse the younger generation who have a great choice of free GUI tools the like of which we could have never imagined back in the early/mid 90's

10. ebswift

ebswift Member

11. tripplite

tripplite Guest

ebswift- w, yes DOISO can burn
    i never said it couldn't, the reason i left it out is because it is a poor burner, IMGBURN will do a far better job then DOISO, i don't suggest doiso's burner function

12. ebswift

ebswift Member

Who's my elder, what are you talking about?

DoISO isn't a burner, it uses the Windows Server 2003 toolkit. It's hasn't burnt anything poorly that I've burnt.

I never said DoISO was better than any software, I came in making the point that the burn part of it does work, it isn't useless. Since I've had 100% burn success with DVD video, DVD data and CD data, what's the case against it? IMGBurn may be better, but I haven't found anything that has the convenience factor. The sysadmin team where I work thinks the same way too, they like DoISO because it's convenient, simple and fast.

13. varnull

varnull Guest

Yes.. it's a good little tool IF you have installed the old 2003 toolkit.
    Very good in the environment you are using it.. work.. where multiple licenses for nero or whatever are not worth the bother.

I can see many good applications for a simple tool like this.. but most people require more along the lines of a making/converting/burning in one solution with a pretty eye candy interface (/me likes the raw command line tools.. feel the power :lol:)

All I can see coming though is a lot of people trying to do things like putting a heap of random vob files on a dvd with it and then moaning on when they don't play in a dvd player..

I'm quite sure all of us (me included) banging on in this thread could very capably get this neat little tool to make just about any kind of disk we wanted.. because we know how they work, and what needs to be where.. but how many others could?..

Now I'm off to boot my bsd/freedos box and have a play with a ps1 disk to see what it will really do.. ;-) at 4am even .. ooops!!

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

ok this is now in the user guide section, and it is exactly that a user guide so why don't you guys and or gals leave tripplite alone. tripplite has created what i believe to be a very good and thought out guide. Now it doesnt matter if you or me will ever use it because someone else will I am sure. Point is that it is a good guide that now does exactly what it says it will do so why all the negativity here? everyone knows there are more than one way to skin a cat this is just one of them.

Again very good guide tripplite you got my stamp of approval (if that counts for anything lol)

15. varnull

varnull Guest

The point being the assumptions that will be made from the first sentence. "create a dvd in under 5 minutes"

I think that with our discussion of it we have worked out exactly what it will do, and when it should be used.. Lots of people didn't get what it was for.. BTW.. it didn't make an iso that would work in a ps1 emulator, even though the files were in the right place on the disk image.

I added it to a boot disk with a back end burning tool, and some other bits and bats, which with a standalone cd burner will be most useful for recovering files from crashed servers. Aye.. a work application again.

Thanks tripplite for reminding me there were such tools around for dos (much easier to make menus and the like.. and good with BSD servers) instead of the normal linux toolkit I use.

16. tripplite

tripplite Guest

both me and you haven't had burning problems with doiso, however alot of people have and will, the 2003 kit has shown me that it cannot be trusted to be used by multiple people, that is why i suggested using imgburn, in addition many people use imgburn and are comfortable with the interface and name

thank you bbmayo for stepping in and speaking sense
    if you have a question about any part of this guide just ask, if you have suggestions PM them to me, i might add them, but please don't go against me with your blind untested logic,

ebswift- jeez i took out the part about respecting your elders 6 seconds later, just so you wouldn't have that response, sorry if offended anyone, i assure you my tone voice is very soft and respectful

17. tripplite

tripplite Guest

11/29/07 UPDATES DONE TO GUIDE

18. midgelfc

midgelfc Guest

Great guide thank you

19. tripplite

tripplite Guest

your welcome if you have questions please ask, and please spread the download link:)