1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free DVD9-DVD5 backup for Mac Users. (Leopard Only)

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by richream, May 29, 2008.

1. phglem

phglem Member

i got all the way to the point when i have to save the file. it always wants to save it somewhere that i cannot find it, somewhere in
    "windows world", meaning it is saving it in the fake windows program on my mac (that's the best way i know how to describe it!).

is there anyway to save it in "mac world" so that i can burn it with disk utility? or, can someone tell me how to locate the file in "windows world" and bring it back to my reality (mac world)?

thanks

2. oldmasta

oldmasta Member

have a closer look on this one.. mac world is also accessable through darwine.
    you can also save it in documents or my documents. it should be the same

3. macbuz

macbuz Member

For those of you who have had difficulty .... so have I.

The good news is I have managed to get DVD Shrink to install and launch repeatedly.

The link to Darwine provided goes to a page under construction, look closely and you will see a link to an 'alternate download page'. Click that link and you will be taken to a generic page of Darwine builds by date and version. I selected one that nearly matched the date of when this OP put up the directions.

I used Darwine 1.0-rc2. I tried 3 or 4 others (including the latest) and the older the version got the nearer it came to succeeding. Version 0.9.60 almost worked, it launched the DVD Shrink Set up window and went through the process, but in the end I didn't have a Desktop icon (which I think you will need to have to manually put in your apps folder). Finally, 1.0-rc2 worked, I had a desktop icon of the program which I put in my apps folder and ....... viola!!

HTHs the rest of you.

4. ld220

ld220 Member

thanks so much for that info! i'm definitely going to give it a shot when i get out of work. i'll let you know how it goes.

5. ld220

ld220 Member

well that didn't seem to work for me either. thanks anyway though. i think i just give up. maybe i'll just have to find a way to get a copy of windows xp and use bootcamp.

6. phglem

phglem Member

hey helpful people! I am experiencing difficulties!!

First, I would like to announce that I followed Rich's instructions and everything was working fantastic! I was living the high life when disaster struck. awwwwwwwwwwwww :(

I needed to take my laptop in to the Mac store for some repair and in the process my files (shrink, darwine, etc) were erased. Not to fear, thought I, for I have taken the precaution of saving these precious files to reinstall should something tragic occur.

Well ladies and gents, after re-installing the exact same files I had been using successfully I can no longer get DVD Shrink to work. Here's what is occurring:
    Either the program fails to install if I choose to "have an icon placed on my desktop" or if I leave that box unchecked it will appear to finish the install and open only to have it fail and shut down when I attempt to search for the image of the movie I created.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thanks.

7. chewy_r

chewy_r Member

I have this message when I try to open dvdshrink:

wine: /Users/ROGERBALLINAS/.wine is not owned by you

Im using darwin 1.0-rc2 like said before, and have leopard 10.5.6

Any suggestions? Thanks...

8. chewy_r

chewy_r Member

I finally did it. But I can't compress the 6.75GB .img file. I get a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders instead of the 4GB .img file. Am I missing something? I' ve follow the tutorial step by step.

Please help!

9. chewy_r

chewy_r Member

Well, all I had to do is to change a little bit the final step.

I chose to open the disk whith the finder instead of disk utility, dragged the VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD image, open the finder, click the radioactive burn button, and VOILA! I'm about to see my first DVD burnt on my mac...

Thanks a lot Rich... the best tutorial on the subject, no doubt.

10. gcurt

gcurt Member

I have downloaded all four softwares, but when I try to open DVD Shrink I receive the message: "You cannot open the application “WineHelper” because it is not supported on this architecture." What do i need to do to fix this?

11. linuxwil

linuxwil Member

ALL DARWINE PROBLEMS SOLVED! I had the gdi32.dll issue, backed up to a previous version of darwine, and I got another issue. Then I remembered I had a copy of Crossover I got for free that day when gas was cheap and the CEO gave away the software. Follow the instructions and open it up with Crossover instead of Darwine (They're almost identical, save crossover works without any config) and you will be able to fly through the whole process! I suppose the catch is if you don't have a copy of crossover you will have to get a demo from their site. Hope this helps some people who are still trying to figure it out!

12. ahanuban

ahanuban Member

Hey richream,

Pretty neat. I had already figured out most of that by the time I got to this forum, but I have one problem. The disc I need to rip is scratched. I do have the data on my hard drive, but it is too big to fit on a single-layer DVD. And so, when I try to remove the copyright protection, it has to be on a DVD, which isn't possible. Any solutions?

Thanks.

13. varnull

varnull Guest

I'm going to give this a go on solaris.. looks interesting. Maybe trying it on something really off the wall unix might throw some light on the errors? Shame you use shrink which won't rip 90% of dvd's on it's own.. but I have some old ones with just css and no psl to dump.. Then again.. I know a damn sight more about dvd's and protection that the average ripper.. so lets have a look and see what crops up.. after Sparkle tomorrow of course. (go on.. click that highlighted link.. dare ya) XD

There are linux apps that do the same.. xdvdshrink is the port of dvd-shrink.. same problems.. it's only shrink.. I built a port of ri4m but it sank without trace because being open source people could just look at tyhe source and see how to implement the css decription and dump the psl and the bov lists.. and then it's purely command trickery.. as posted on afterdark... and mac users should know how to use linux apps (or are they balding Michael Stype clone dickless cappucino drinking buy a lifestyle and an ipod and an iphone and an icolostomy by proxy winkers? {if the cap fits eh} .. .. I have a low opinion of mac buyers.. any old p4 and unix will beat a mac.. almost as low.. but not quite.. as the windoze sheeple hahaha unix ftw.. take control.. stop buying into the hype)

sorry.. been wanting to say that to the mac users for an age.. look in the mirror guys.. you PAY for a skin on BSD then get fleeced for every single bit of open source software you want to use.. free-bsd runs lovely on a mac.. and solaris don't do to bad.. once you hunt down a nic driver... and a sound driver... and a usb driver.., and a firewire driver...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2009
  14. lampesi

lampesi Member

Hello there:)
    First of all thank you for the time/energy you spent on these instructions.

Everything seems works with my mac and the above instructions.
    Everything but this:)

When the time comes to DVD shrink, I start the "analyzing procedure" and I mention that
    the buffered bytes are being buffered directly into the main memory(dram) !
    So after DVDShrink has loaded closely 2GB (which is the size of my Ram) it halts with an error
    of the form "Out of memory".

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you:)