AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

1/5 HDTV owners don't know difference between SD and HD

news article released on:

According to a recent survey by Leichtman Research Group (LRG), about one in five HDTV owners believe they are watching HD (high definition) programming simply because they own an HDTV, but instead are really watching SD (standard definition) content. The data compiled by LRG is based on a telephone survey of 1302 U.S. households and marks the 6th consecutive year the survey has been run. ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 37 messages.

what do you mean by: Component input??
AfterDawn Advertisement
Originally posted by ronraines:
what do you mean by: Component input??
Component = video split into separate signals (red, blue and green ends of the cable) as opposed to a single yellow end - and the audio (red and white) comes in separately. So there are 3 connectors for video instead of a single one, and 2 more for standard audio.

Here's a picture of a typical component video cable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

A HD cable box should come standard with component out, in case the customer does not have HDMI. I happen to have HDMI, but I could not get it to work - HDCP error (although my TV is supposed to support HDCP).
I tried that and it does not work, it gives me a "tinted" picture.

I am staying with the HDMI, it works great!!!!
vudoo Suspended due non-functional email address
You'll be surprised how many retail stores are showing HD TV's but with standard content. Some are showing content through coax cable and a few are using VHS tapes of programming or just DvD's being transmitted to several sets through a composite video to RF modulator. No wonder why some people can't see a difference. It should be against the law for a store to show non HD content on an HD TV. However look around you and you'll see what I mean.
you are 100% correct!!! the stores would get more sales if they showed actual HD!! I have also saw the poor quality on HD tv's without a HD source.

the store managers must not know that HD is better or that it is really any different.
Originally posted by vudoo:
You'll be surprised how many retail stores are showing HD TV's but with standard content. Some are showing content through coax cable and a few are using VHS tapes of programming or just DvD's being transmitted to several sets through a composite video to RF modulator. No wonder why some people can't see a difference. It should be against the law for a store to show non HD content on an HD TV. However look around you and you'll see what I mean.
Very true. I remember 2 years ago asking people, "what's the deal with HD?" Mainly because every picture I saw was SD and it looked like crap.
my aunt bought a 50 inch HD LCD, she does not have HD programming at all and she expands the picture to fill the entire screen, it looks like crap!!!
you can definitely get hd content straight trough coax cable,
since that's the only way i have hd television stations.
a bar i was frequenting has the hd boxes, which hook up via component.
there is next to no visible difference in picture quality between the two;
maybe much of that can be attributed to cable's signal compression?

as for no "true hd" content on in-store demo's...what stores are you guys visiting?
it has been quite some time since i've seen something NOT in hd in a store,
unless you mean the ps2 and nintendo wii demo stations at some retailers.

if you're talking 1080p, then of course it's not. except blu-ray demo's.
hdtv services only have 720p programming content. we simply don't have 1080p tv shows yet.
Originally posted by snowlock:
as for no "true hd" content on in-store demo's...what stores are you guys visiting?
it has been quite some time since i've seen something NOT in hd in a store,
unless you mean the ps2 and nintendo wii demo stations at some retailers.

Two years ago, it was all of them. It's improved drastically. I just remember not being able to tell the difference at all. It's a lot better, although in Best Buy, there a re a few out of their hundreds of TV's that I still see an SD signal.
Sports fans know the difference.

High-def is driving up ratings for sports

Quote:
Nielsen reports at least 22% of U.S. households get HDTV up from 10% in September 2007 and its ratings for TV sports are 20% higher than in the USA overall. "Sports commentary," Nielsen says, is the most popular TV programming of any kind for HD viewers.
dsgfsgf Unverified new user
Originally posted by atomicxl:
I think its mostly cable users. You can get over the air HD for free and there's a drastic difference when you're watching a channel thats showing something in HD and something that isn't.

Those people may not know that its 720p or whatever technical name, but I bet they know a difference between the picture quality of most primetime shows on major networks and everything else.

sdkghfvsdkjfskdfgasdf.mnadsbflakjgfvblkasjbf hdvskjbgfvasdkfbadsfhbvsdflbvaslfasldkfjadbgvslfiugswefwejbfewliufgiwleubfaskdjfbadslkfugiugasdf
i got a new hd tv a few months ago.I can see minor difference between the hd channels and sd channels.the hd channels look sharper but the picture is only 720p not 1080 (thats free to air tv for you) to me it looks like the pixels are blended better.the biggest difference i noticed was fifa 11 on ps3 on a crt tv with av cables and a sansui cheap 32inch lcd tv through hdmi.The games running at hd look a lot better.

the worst experience i had when looking for a new tv was in 1 store when i went in for a tv and the guy wanted me to buy the tv a ps3,new sound system,blu ray player and a bunch of other things i wasnt interested in and couldnt afford he even offered finance with a high interest rate.lucky im sensible or i'd be debt for the next few years.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.