1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Screens

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by EWOcelot, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Yeah, some of the touch screen capabilities look pretty awesome, and i don't think i speak alone when i say that Windows 7 is making me tempted to get a touch screen...

It's only a matter of time before programs and games start to make real use of it, since i believe that Windows 7 will be the thing to push touch screens into the mass market.

2. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

Touch screen really isn't something too new. HP has already done it with the Vista OS and their hardware. So Microsoft getting in on it isn't too drastic because it doesn't force customers to use it. If you want to buy the hardware for it you can but if you don't its your choice.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

yah, and newegg isnt carrying them yet. They really need to jump on the bandwagon. Now is the time for them to make some money. Maybe not everyones ready, but I think alot of us are.
    Heres another screen guys. My favorite might I add. :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  4. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I know :p

That's why i phrased it as i did "Windows 7 will be the thing to push touch screens into the mass market", as in, they're out there, but ordinary people don't use them much yet - it seems like this will change soon, Microsoft have started actually actively "advertising" them, as well as making Windows 7 more touch screen friendly.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  5. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

Seeing as you had to remind me of it, makes an impression about how it's being taken by the public.

6. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Daemon tools does not owrk with windows 7. Omegaman has already found this out as I can see because he has VirtualCloneDrive installed. I am also having problems with AIM. All of my hardware and software worked well otherwise.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, I wanted to be done with alcohol(also cool), try a new virtual(ware) if you will. Heard VERY good things about Daemon a while back. Apparently for xp its awesome, But there is some kinda compatibility problem (on 7) on my rig atleast. Didnt try it twice. Probably should have. But if other people report the same... Im running it on my XP drive. Yes, so far virtual clonedrive is working VERY well. I wouldnt expect anything less from Elby. :D

8. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

Daemon is confirmed not to work with Windows 7 at the moment. I prefer poweriso myself.

9. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Okay, I've got Windows 7 up and running on a "Vista Capable" HP dc5700, Pentium 4 3.2ghz with 1gb of DDR2 533mhz memory. Pretty fast, with the Windows Experience set at 3.0, which was the low score of the hard disk transfer rate.

All drivers installed with Windows except for the Realtek Audio, which was expected. The Aero features work off of the Intel integrated memory.

I also confirmed the following apps to work:

Adobe Flash Player 10
    Adobe Photoshop CS2
    Adobe Reader 9
    Adobe Shockwave Player 11
    Apple iTunes
    Avira AntiVir
    FFDShow codecs
    Java 6
    Microsoft Office 2007
    Microsoft Office Outlook Connector
    Mozilla Firefox 3.0.5
    Nero 8
    Notepad++
    Quicktime
    Smart Defrag 1.03
    VNC Free Edition
    WinRar 3.70

10. navskin

navskin Regular member

system spec below in sig running on gaming rig. heres whats is what working for me

Games

Call of duty 4
    call of duty 5
    fallout 3 (no that good this game)
    Battlefield 2142
    Crysis
    Crysis Warhead
    Farcry 2
    Grid
    Colin Mcrea Dirt (rip Col)

Software

3dmarks06
    Acrobat Reader
    Adware
    Aim6 (this works for me)
    Windows Live messenger
    Convert X to DVD
    Nero 7 Ulatra
    Nod32 Version 3.0
    Office 2007
    Office 2003 file convert to 2007
    Power ISO (like Deamon tools but not free)
    Sonic Record Now Deluxe
    Utorrent
    Xfire
    Everest Ultimate edition
    Viral DJ version 5#
    CPU-z
    GPU-z Caps Viewer
    Fire|fox 3.0
    Cclean
    Flash FXP
    Gimp
    Mirc

so then can somone tell me profermence of the 60 bit version of 7 then. i am still using the old version of 7 i think its called bulid 6800 bit work brill for what i use it for. do you think 64 would run good on my system.

Edit: all my hardware working fine with windows vista drivers and i do use of the abouve program that why i have not listed them.

thanks

graham

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  11. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

12. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

i can confirm adobe CS3 master works now. you don't install version cue and indesign, and for CS4, don't install onlocation. so if you use those, and want win7, you're out of luck; they cause errors to win7.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks buddy. You just saved me from some grief. Thats one of my next test installs. But first...Nvidia driver upgrade :D

14. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

NP. i found out about the three programs after i did a search for com surrogate errors on x64. a quick google search brought up CS3 as the problem. uninstalled the two (three for CS4), and VIOLA! no more errors.

one thing i'm waiting for is ATi to have openGL support in x64. it's not fun playing counterstrike in window mode.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  15. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

How about I got this to run on an older P4 2.6ghz Sony Vaio with 512mb of memory? After the full default install, Windows Update (also to catch 3 missing drivers) and installation of Avira Antivir, only 35 running processes at boot, and about 250mb of memory used. Not too shabby.

Of course, it's far from a speed demon, and Aero is disabled, but outside of the eye candy, it's every bit as functional, if not more so than XP on the same rig. I'll post some screenshots when I have an opportunity.

I am currently ghosting my XP install on a Tablet PC, so I can check out some of the features that may enhance that particular machine.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, I may have you beat tomorrow. Tomorrow I MAY install it on my HP pavilion 7905 (1.4ghz AMD Athlon) 1gb ram. 6200GT Gpu. Never could get the GPU stable. Im hoping that the native driver does better than past drivers I tried. Sure is the case with my 8600GT. XP runs VERY WELL on it currently.

17. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Well, I'm at it again. This time, no more temporary installs to just play around with. I've wiped my HP tc1100 Tablet PC clean and made a fresh install of Windows 7. The hardware is a Pentium M 1ghz proc, 1.5gb of DDR400 memory and a 40gb HDD.

Let me tell you, that took some balls, but I just had to see what the Tablet PC features were like, and let me tell you, it's not disappointing, though getting some of the drivers up and running was a challenge, since HP did not support Vista on this particular model. However, this guide for Vista came in handy and may help others having similiar issues:

http://www.techwiki.ca/mpc/index.php?title=HP/TC1100/Windows_Vista_Installation_Notes#WLAN_Drivers

I had to run compatibility mode for the Q Menu software, which is a nag of crapware that HP felt you would need, and turns out, I did, because the Wireless Switch is only enabled or disabled by this software.

Now for the Good, Bad and Ugly.

The Ugly first: After the 7 install, Windows boots and... let's me know that my HDD has an error and prompts me to start the built in data backup program.

Well, everything was running fine to begin with and I wouldn't have a clue that the hard disk were bad, but I wanted to call out MS on this one, so I rebooted and ran Hitachi DFT, and low and behold, it failed rather quickly, most like a SMART error and a drive that is ready to go to electronics heaven!

Very slick that they FINALLY included something like this with Windows. Usually, it's too late when you find out the drive is toast, but if you can get into Windows and get your data out before doomsday, that is AWESOME.

Obviously, the bad would be the GFX card doesn't run Aero.

The good: ALL of the previous features on my tablet were accessible, especially after some playing around, tweaking (compatibility mode for XP) and the above guide. Several drivers were not installed with the OS disc, but a quick visit to Windows Update fixed 4 of 5.

I played hell trying to find out what the last driver was. I finally gave up, but then after testing the wireless, it didn't work. Turns out, this was one of the drivers for the wireless functionality, which I didn't quite figure out until I got the Q menu running and couldn't turn the wireless on or off. In other words, don't trust Windows Update to necessarily give you the best driver for your scenario!

After installing the proper drivers, connecting to an Wireless AP was a snap. 7 likes to keep as MUCH detail onscreen in the taskbar as possible, so you won't have to navigate through a myriad of windows to find your network settings. Much like Vista, you won't have to type your password in twice, and you don't have to hide your keystrokes, which was a pain for Hex passwords being typed twice in XP. Also gone is the "repair" option for the network adapter, replaced with a troubleshooting app that gives some suggestions and works rather well.

After playing with the drivers for wireless, I was also able to get the Nvidia Go GFX drivers running, and the HP shortcut buttons. I could flip the screen from portrait to landscape using the shortcuts and proper video drivers, which is really handy when using OneNote or reading digital magazines through Zinio Reader. It was just like having a notepad or real magazine in my hand.

The onscreen keyboard buttons follow the 7 themes. They are bigger, and oddly feel much more responsive than in XP. The handwriting recognition is killer compared to XP as well, and frequently used phrases, such as email addresses, are kept in memory, so once you start to write with the stylus, you can easily click on it to save much needed time.

The gestures are spelled out on screen and made user friendly. I'm not even sure which ones were used in the previous Windows OS, as I was really giddy over the Flick options, which allow you to move up/down or navigate back/forward through the browser. There are also shortcuts for handwriting, such as drawing a backwards line through a word will delete everything. Hitting the backspace a few times will bring up a tooltip to describe the feature.

Overall, 7 continues to impress me. Screens from the Tablet to come soon.

Now, how do I get a copy of Surface and some hardware to try that out with? LOL.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  18. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

[​IMG]

My Sony Vaio experiment...

[​IMG]

Not too shabby on the resources.

And now for the HP Tablet PC:

[​IMG]

Full screen shot. Notice how the Input Panel floats where you can always find it. Here are some shots of the input panel itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Flicks gestures:

[​IMG]

Finally, the wireless settings all through the tray icon:

[​IMG]

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Nice post bud :) Gonna have to see how my other computer fairs now. Be interesting to see a comparison.

20. navskin

navskin Regular member

i am going to how windows 7 fairs on my p4 that have today well now lol its formating as i speak.

specs

P4 2.60ghz
    Asrock P4VM900
    nvidia 8600GTS (sames to be unstable)
    1 gig Of Ram
    DVD CD RW
    Antec 300
    400watt psu

will post an update when done.

thanks

graham