1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamada dvx 6600

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Daljinec, Mar 11, 2004.

1. kurgan666

kurgan666 Guest

I upgraded with no problems at all. The only difference I can see is that .srt files do indeed work now, although they could certainly make it a bit prettier.

I wouldn't upgrade for the sake of it, but if you have a subtitled film to watch I wouldn't hold back either.

I really don't understand some of the complaints here - that a blank screen is shown when the player is on standby, ie: when the player is off - sounds pretty normal to me although I suspect I may have the wrong end of the stick.

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Member

Hi folks, the latest response from Yamada about the release release version of firmware is: "We expect the new firmware when it's done.
    It's not possible to give a release date as the engineers of the chipset vendor are doing major changes."

Nice to know!!

3. baldrick

baldrick Member

I have upgraded some time ago and almost everything works fine. Yes, it doesn't switch to TV once you turn it off (it is a TV problem too I guess), sutitles are left oriented (not centered) and do not support our national characters (looks funny sometimes, but I replace them with plain ASCII). Would be nice if I could place them bellow picture. User Manual SUCKS!
    I found out, that movies with X resolution more than 720 (750x300, 800X336) do not show up. Just the sound. When I recoded them to 720x??? or bellow it worked fine. First I thought it is a matter of codec XVID, but it isn't so. Works better (nicer picture) with DX5 and Xvid coded movies than dith Div3 (had to recode some). Also problems with sound when it is MP3 and with strange bit rate and not interleaved properly. Found out the Virtual dub (and mod version) very nice for such operations. Use Gspot to find out details about movies. Hope someone finds this info usefull. I still have problems with my TV remote, that switches DVD off when I lower TV loudness or select certain channel.

4. JamesM

JamesM Guest

Still no official full patch release. They are taking ages. Guess its best to let em take their time and get it right.

5. mikeyea

mikeyea Member

anyone else seem to be getting an irratating line across the top of the screen when the player is connected?, happens on the title screen, brower and all movies, something to do with the scart connection possibly?

6. baldrick

baldrick Member

I guess it must be something with contacts and cables, but would have to see. Try connecting with composite video instead of SCART if you have that option. I had many problems with cheap low quality SCART connectors, mainly resulting in similar problems as you describe. Does it change or move, if you try to push or move the cable?

7. mikeyea

mikeyea Member

ive tried moving it about, pulling it out and back in etc but nothing seems to fix it. I didnt actually get anything with it which was strange, only the audio cables so i was forced to used the one from my old dvd player. Although i have mentioned the problem to someone with the same player and he has said that the firmware upgrade should fix it as its apparently a known bug

8. mikeyea

mikeyea Member

also, im having trouble finding the yamada support forums, yamada.de has no link to forums, but i remember browsing them a while back before i bought the player but i cant remember the link, anyone know it?

9. pfeito

pfeito Guest

yeah, i've noticed that when I upgraded to the latest firmware. Hope they fix that on next firmware!

10. pfeito

pfeito Guest

11. tobiasnz

tobiasnz Member

Hi
    I can't seem to skip to the next track when playing MP3 files on my DVX 6600. The forward.back buttons on the remote only jumps down pages in the file list.
    Is this normal?
    I would love to be able to skip forward and back while playing a DVD of MP3s, would make it more like a HUGE audio CD.
    Am I missing something?

Also does anyone know if Yamada plan to support m3u or pls playlists in the player?

Cheers

12. kagekage

kagekage Member

Just replaced my Yamada 6100 with a 6600. Now find I have to finalise my DVD-+RWs before they'll play. Didn't have to with the 6100.

Anyone else find their 6600 plays without finalising??

13. pfeito

pfeito Guest

Dont know about DVD-RW because I never tried one, but multisession DVD-R (not finalised) work just fine in my DVX-6600.

14. kan2

kan2 Member

i just nbought one of these to play my large collection of kvcds only to find out they were blocky and messed up! unwatchable! really annoyed

anyone got a solution, its great otherwise but this really bugged me

15. JamesM

JamesM Guest

Kan2:

Read this web-page:
    http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG3334_dvd__divx_player__.html

Notably:
    • Disc compatibility: DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW, VCD, SVCD, MP3-CD, MP3-DVD, PCM, JPEG-CD, JPEG-DVD

I dont see KVCD there sorry dude. Looks like the player is decoding your KVCD format partially and this is why you get some sort of blocky picture.

The following page lists DVD players compatible with KVCD format video. No Yamada stuff listed there either I'm afraid.

http://www.kvcd.org/portal/articles.php?lng=en&pg=19

I think your best bet is to wait for the official patch to arrive. Its still in beta as you can see here:

http://www.umax.de/cgi-bin/treiber....SCSI_Karte=0&DigiCam=0&Submit=Suchen+/+Search

Regs

16. sc64

sc64 Member

kan2

perhaps just good luck on my behalf but the two kvcds/ksvcds that i have play flawlessly on my player. have you tried the beta firmware upgrade ? i have used this and had no problems ? personally only bought the mechine to play xvid and thus far excellent results.

17. kan2

kan2 Member

i do understand that its a great divx player. i was under the impression that kvcd would work as many reviews have said it worked. and unfortunately for me they didnt. i have installed the firmware v3 upgrade and still no change

my bad luck probably

18. pfeito

pfeito Guest

The .srt subtitle support, even after the last (v3) upgrade is lousy! I mean, I have extra care converting each non .srt subtitle to .srt, renaming it to same name as the .avi and still lots of .srt dont work!

Some do work, others not. I cant tell why!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2004
  19. JamesM

JamesM Guest

Good news!

I have now installed the beta firmware and can happily report that it now plays these two video files.

The.Lord.Of.The.Rings.The.Return.Of.The.King.2003.DVDRip.DivX.AC3.CD3-KT.avi
    The.Lord.Of.The.Rings.The.Return.Of.The.King.2003.DVDRip.DivX.AC3.CD4-KT.avi

Previously it did not. It just flickered with the first 10 or so frames then went back to the Yamada screen with the disk contents listed.

Those were downloaded from Overnet.

I burned them to PCline (un-branded) 70min CDRs using finalised ISO 9660 format (mode 1). They didnt work when I had burned them to branded memorex ones before the patch either so it must be the firmware.

Was funny when I upgraded the firmware and everything turned into a chinese char set. I couldnt find the user guide for quite a while to change it to english...

20. JamesM

JamesM Guest

These two files were also unplayable before the firmware upgrade but now are.

Captain.Corellis.Mandolin.Xvid.Ac3.Stereozulu.Cd1.ShareConnector.avi
    Captain.Corellis.Mandolin.Xvid.Ac3.Stereozulu.Cd2.ShareConnector.avi