1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.BIN / .CUE / .ISO Frequently asked questions. READ1ST

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by cd-rw.org, Sep 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erico

erico Member

so i can burn the .cue to the CD, while its registered on windows to load with a program such as notepad, and that wont affect the overall outcome of the burn in any way?

2. erico

erico Member

Sorry i have so many questoins, but heres another. Using Alcohol 120%, and the correct BIN's and CUE's for a game, how would i create an image drive, so as to be able to install/play the game, w/out a CD?

3. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

enrico, when you load alcohol 120%, you should have a tray icon by the clock.. you right click this and click on easy mounting. You then mount the image by browsing to the .cue file.. For this type of operation, I personally still think Daemon-Toolz is better but Alcohol 120% has many more options besides just mounting images, and for this reason it may just prove to be better, anyhow.. best of luck!

4. SITM

SITM Guest

I am a noob but I basically understand the concepts behind burning the BIN/CUE files. My question is more specific.

I have 9 files ims-spm3.001 - ims-spm3.009 each file is 15MB for one game backup :). I know they are BIN/CUE format and I am assuming that each is a track on the CD but there is no .CUE

--- My question is how do I burn all of the files to a CD? ---

Do I need to create a CUE file for each or can the .CUE file be used as a pointer to all the files? Can someone give me details about how to turn these into a working CD.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2002
  5. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

SITM,

Those files are very likely compressed to 15mb packets with ZIP, RAR or ACE.

Erico,

Please give it a shot before asking. Mounting images to Alcohol is dead simple and you can't do any harm by trying it first.

6. ABUSE

ABUSE Member

Hi,

I am having a bit if a crisis with .BIN / .ISO files and hoping you may be able to shed some light.

I created .CUE, .BIN & .SUB files from one of my game CDs with Blindwrite 4 and I was able to write this to another CD and everything seemed ok.

Later I decided to play with Deamon Tools 3.26 to see if I could play the game from the .BIN file however when I tried to mount the .CUE sheet Deamon Tools told me it wasn't valid. So I tried to read it with Nero 5.5 and again it said its courrpted. Yet Blindwrite can read it.

So I created an .ISO of another CD with Blindwrite and again all worked fine in Blindwrite but I couldn't read the ISO in Deamon Tools or Nero.

However ISO Buster can read both files.

Now to me this is strange as I thought .BIN and .ISO were standards?

It appears that the .BWT file that is saved with each image contains the need data to read it but the other programs aren't reading the .BWT file.

So what do I do now.

I have tried using CDRwin but having trouble creating an image with the demo so now trying CloneCD. Before I try FireBurner & Alchaol 120% I thought I'd seek advice.

Why aren't the .BIN & .ISO files created with Blind Write readable by other programs and what is the best CDR program that support Sub Channels, RAW DAO and will allow me to back up some of my protected CDs so I can play them from an image (like with .BIN & Daemon Tools)

Cheers.
    ABUSE

Last edited: Dec 10, 2002
  7. erico

erico Member

cd-rw.org, sorry, i guess i should try it first, i was thinking it would screw my computer up in some way tho, so as long as u say it wont, then i'll give it a shot

8. erico

erico Member

umm ok, i got an image file created but as it turns out i dont want the game installed, so i dont need that fake cd/dvd rom. So i can't figure out how to remove them! Do i just unmount all the files in either CD rom, or is there more to deleting to spare CD roms? (i want them off my computer entirely)

9. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Erico,

In the Alchol main screen you can:
    -Unmount your images
    -Set the number of virtual drives to 0

10. toki

toki Member

i've read the thread so far and by the way it sounds i can copy an original cd to a cdr in mode 2 ... i tried and it didn't work in my psone? i used nero and told it to make a exact copy anything i'm missing?

11. HCl

HCl Guest

Hi, I am a beginner to this image thing, and is still quite unsure of the entire concept even after reading the faq.

Would like to clarify by using an analogy: Is the .CUE is analogous the Master Boot Record of a HDD, and determines the overall format of the CD? Does it have to be burned to a specific physical sector of a CD?

As for the .BIN, it has been emphasized that it is an image and not a file. Is it correct to say that it is a binary 'file' which contains the exact binary arrangement (0 and 1 patterns) of the source CD? In this sense the .BIN is not a proper 'file' but more of a physical representation of the entire CD, is it right?

I am unsure if this is how it is like, so please correct me if I am wrong. And can any of the experts post a link or an article on the CD format, maybe it can help clear up the air a bit. Thanks.

12. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

To toki:

even if you did all in perfect order (good Nero settings) you must know this:

1) your PSOne cannot play backups unless it has been modified;
    2) some PSX games (very few of them) are protected and you cannot play backups unlesso you modify the image ('patching' it) before burning it; Search on the NET to know if your game is protected.
    3) you must burn at low speed because PSOne CD-reader sucks.

BTW the Nero proper settings are these. Check if you did the same:

1. Start Nero
    2. Insert the Playstation CD in your recorder
    3. Choose the menu command File->CD Copy
    4. Select the page Copy Options and uncheck the on the fly option. Select your CD recorder as input device and choose (for safety considerdations) 1x as read speed.
    5. Open the page Read Options and select (if these options are available for your recorder): „Read media catalog number and ISRC“, „Continue copying“, „Data Mode 1“: „Force Raw reading“ „Write uncorrected“, „Data Mode 2“: „Force Raw reading“ „Write uncorrected“, „Read audio with subchannel“, „Ignore read errors“ and uncheck „Jitter correction“.
    6. Open the Image page and choose a harddisk drive with at least 700MB of free disk space.
    7. Select the page Burn and choose (for safety considerations) 1x as write speed.
    8. Click the Burn button

13. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

14. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

To HCl_:
    about image formats - you might also want to read this:

http://www.macdisk.com/faqcden.php3#BM1

And... you're 'almost right' abut physical representation of CD. But the difference does not lie in the different image formats (ISO/BIN/IMG/NRG... ) but in 'RAW' or 'cooked' images.

'RAW' images are a physical representation of the CD-ROM because they copy EVERYTHING is on the CD (that is: the USER DATA but also the header, the Error Correction Data and so on). For this reason ther are bigger and need 2352 btes/sector.

The 'cooked' images, instead, copy only the USER DATA (2048 bytes for PC, 2336 for PSX/VCD, 2352 for AUDIO).

BUT YOU MUST KNOW THIS: that when you burn an image, (unless your CD-burner can accept the option 'write RAW data', and very few of them can), the burning process WILL RECALCULATE THE ERROR CORRECTION CODES (CRC) so the copy will not be an EXACT COPY (that is byte by byte) of the original CD. This because, as I posted above, transfer random error occur during burning and the CRC need to change in order to correct them so the data on the copied CD are complete.

I hope I did not confuse anyone ... these are complex things and I'm not a teacher...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2002
  15. biznap

biznap Member

couple of questions

1. What does FLT mean? I see it a lot in file names.

2. If I download something, is there a way I can tell its original format? If there is no .cue file and it has a random extension (.exe) how can I tell what parameters to use when burning the image?

The reason I ask is because I downloaded a file
    GAME-FLT.CD1.EXE . I created a .cue file for it:
    FILE "GAME-FLT.CD1.EXE" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    -Then I ran BlindWrite to write it to CD. However, it fails when I actually try to read the cd.

Did I do something wrong?

thanks, this forum is great and I appreciate your help.

16. radeon79

radeon79 Member

Hi. I have a Karaoke program which produces .bin files so you can create your own CD-G's. Still, each .bin is a single song. Is there anyway I could create a single CD's with many of this .bin files?

17. VCDjunkie

biznap, try running the .exe file to see if it is a self extracting zip file, or some sort of install package using winrar or something.. anyhow, if you created the .cue file and still didn't work, then chances are its in another format, perhaps .iso ?? anyhow, you should be able to play around with it using winiso or some other program that reads image files to see if it is valid.

radeon, bin files that are related to cd images are the actual image of a COMPLETE cd, and burning an image of a cd to a cd gives you a single complete cd, no matter how many bin files you have, burning them all to cd will not produce multiple cd's on a single cd, it does not work that way..

It is very possible that your program produces a different format of a .bin file.. .cue/.bin files images are not the only .bin files around.. anyhow, I don't want to go too far over your head here so please find out from your software provider what the usage of your .bin files are and whether or not putting more than one on a cd will work for that program to read it.

18. biznap

biznap Member

thanks, but I already tried all of those things. It looks like I downloaded a 600 MB collection of useless information.

Does anyone know what FLT stands for?

Is it possible that its a playstation cd and my pc can't read it? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've tried to open it with WinISO and CDMage and they can't open it.

thanks again.

19. VCDjunkie

biznap, you are in luck because I apparantly have no life.. heh.

Send me a PM with the name of the file and I will download it to find out for you.

20. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Aldaco,

Are you sure that Nero can handle the PSX LibCrypt - the protection mostly used on a PSX. I wouldn't use Nero for PSX disc reading, but Alcohol, CloneCD, or BlindWrite...DiscJuggler should do too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.