1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best factory built computers

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JSRife, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

JSRife
    As i would ask for some of your other posts --- do you have a point? Or are you trying to explain to us how much you know about HP servers? You are either very slow or very naiive if you think the majority of factory built computers are of the midsized-server role -- from your posts you seem to have a very clear understanding of who makes the best computers and other than simply to increase your post count, why post a thread asking who makes the best computers when you right away and refuse to listen other people's perspectives?!

2. JSRife

JSRife Guest

I just have my opinions that's all anyone can have. It was all fine and Dandy, but People always have to rag on HP, I don't know for a fact they are the best, they might not be...I have always used HP and like them is all. If I see someone putting down something they know nothing about, just going by Brand name or what other People say isn't really cutting it. I want to Learn more about other Computer companys as well, that is why I made this post. People say " My sister has an HP and it sucks" I mean reasons why it sucks would be nice....I mean could it be it's 8 years old and she has 64mb of memory, comparing that to a New Dell, yeah I bet it would suck. Or did his Sister get a defective Model? Or Maybe his sister hasn't defragged the thing in two years or maybe she doesn't know what the hell she is doing...If it's a newer computer and it gets defragged, Cleaned, Deleted old files and doing a few simple tweeks also have plenty of memory and if it's on Cable or DSL, I don't see how it's a piece of crap to be honest. I don't see how any computer could be actually if it's newer with a a user with some basic computer skills, some computers are better than others, someone has to always be a little better, but all computers are all bassically the same, Not really a whole lot to a computer. I am just interested in the fine details of computers, like I said that is why I made this post. People get programmed to easy, they see a computer at Wal-mart and it is automatic shit...HP was around way way before Wal-mart got their hands on the units for sale. Wal-mart is a big buyer, believe it or not they actually get good quality products at a good price, it's called buying in bulk. The most expensive Computer Wally world sales is probably a little over $1000, don't expect a $2000 quality PC for $1000, expect a $1000 PC. See the whole problem is someone got off with the wrong subject of this post...They said Build your own, way way better....Praetor you wanna get all over me for making comments in the wrong post , well the Post says Factory built computers, meaning commerical..Didn't say Home Built computers vs Factory built....Come on now.

3. Buik

Buik Regular member

My vote is "Home Made". It makes you learn what you need to know about computers.

Total cost is also a factor. Purchase your parts when the price is right. The PC2100 DDR Ram in my workhorse cost me about $4.00 USD for each of three 256MB modules. I was patient & used the rebate system. It was not cutting edge at the time, but it is a very capable box.

I don't keep up with the factory built reviews anymore. Why should I? Therefore, I really am not qualifed to answere "Who builds the best factory built computers".

TC

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

JSRife,

I don't remember comparing my sis-in-laws pc to my dell. I just said I like my dell and her HP sucked. The main reason I didn't like her HP was because it was very limited on how much it could be upgraded. Don't get me wrong I've run across some new dell's that suck. You get what you pay for.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

JSRife, it is easy for me to say HP computers are the bottom of the low end computers now. They merged with Compaq. Enough said.

I have the business end HP printers...HP 1220C and the HP 2280C. They have been great printers for me. I will hang onto them, even though they don't, now, and never will have a driver which supports bi-directional communication with Windows XP. I fear, that in the future, the HP brand printers will lower themselves to the Compaq level. HP developers are pretty much misguided now, for the home user, computer hardware.
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bruce Wallace
    Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

3.06 Ghz Intel P4 CPU
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    1Gig Corsair 3200 LLPro DDR Ram
    Plextor PX 708A DVD Burner
    Sony CRX320E DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card
    Audigy2 Platinum[/small]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  6. Buik

Buik Regular member

TO: JSRife

You just said:

"Praetor you wanna get all over me for making comments in the wrong post , well the Post says Factory built computers, meaning commerical..Didn't say Home Built computers vs Factory built....Come on now."

It is presumed that eveyone here is a PC (Personal Computer) user. On your second post you started delving into the commercial hardware your major corporation has. That deviated from what everyone was thinking. You continued on that track in later posts. Afterdawn members are not here to provide technical support and education for those purposes. Many could do so and would probably out-perform some of verizon's IT staff.

Don't regal us with the hardware your employer has. Get closer to home.

TC

7. Praetor

You seem to be interested in a meaningful comparison by noting that comparing an acient HP to a new Dell would be a bad comparison -- but then you bring up HP Servers? Are you trying to suggest that HP Servers have more processing capacity than other OEM desktops? If that was your intent then sure, you win -- servers are supposed to have a processing advantage -- but thats a meaningless comparison. If you're going to compare computers, make sure it's a meaninful comparison :)

This is remiscient of your comment about video cards where "every video card should be able to play any game" -- yes all computers are basically the same -- but there are major things that differentiate them from each other (otherwise this thread is pointless).

Perhaps you dont realize the reasoning as to behind that gut instinct (for whatever reason). For me, the reason my instinctive reaction to a Walmart (or similar) computer is "shit" because they have a very poor performance-cost ratio -- yes they are "computers" and they "compute" but that doesnt mean they are "good" (again, remiscient of the video cards -- yes all video cards display video but not all will play FarCry).

No doubt -- they get their stuff from HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, whatever and those companies have a standard level of quality control -- the fact that those computers have a certain quality to them is not because of any efforts on Walmart part but rather to those QC checks by the OEMs.

Well obviously -- like I said before: when making comparisons, make them meaningful comparisons.

Dont get stupid with me. I build computers at home for commercial profit. The parts are factory built. But as I said before, if you're going to ask a question (as the thread title suggested) -- ask one. Dont turn it into a propaganda thread (whether pro or nay for HP) -- if you want to make a propaganda thread, go ahead and make one -- but dont hide it behind the premise of a question.... so come on nothing.

At least the rest of us given some semblance of reasoning for our comments regardless -- you simply state something without anything to back it up and then make useless comparisons in an attempt to inferr that HP is the best computer OEM there is -- so, to avoid confusion: what's it going to be? Are you going to deal with home computers or commercial servers? Because you cant compare in between those categories (well you can but that would just be wrong). And while you're at it -- give some reasons as to why you think the way you do ... listing specs means nothing -- you and I both know that (well I know it, you should too).

LOL that would do it ... but we should be careful not to hurt jsrife's HP ego/pride

8. Buik

Buik Regular member

JSRife

I think you have gotten Praetor's goat. GIVE IT BACK TO HIM NOW!!!

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

HP still sucks pants.

10. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Nephilim :) ... And damn you've got alot of movies!!!

11. JSRife

JSRife Guest

HP never merged with compaq....HP flat out bought the Compaq name, the Original Compaq company is history... ever since they bought the name Compaq's quality has stepped up alot. As far as budget Computers go, yeah I would say they all suck, no matter what brand you buy....HP's company makes more than just budget computer systems, if that's all they made is budget, I would have to say they would suck. HP make awesome servers, workstations, Printers, (Quality wise neck to neck with Dell as far as business machines go) HP business computers are pretty damn good too...Now HP's home computers, they are alright as long as you don't buy their blue light special for $499, on the other hand I don't think Dell's $499 Computer is any better, about the same deal, just Dell doesn't offer a few features the HP does on the budget system. Gotta lose a few options in order to get Dells name on the box (but of course) As far as the Best factory computers between HP and Dell...I would give it to Dell all day, Dell's top of the line desktop Dimension XPS will kick Hp's butt I cannot deny that one bit....It's not like HP couldn't make the same exact machine as Dell as far as the Top of the line home computer goes....I personally don't wanna spend $2500 for a Computer however, You can buy an HP with the same stats for around $1300, which the quality isn't going to be that of the XPS....But for more than a $1000 bucks cheaper the HP's quality is just fine Dandy....

12. Praetor

Ok now we are focusing a bit :) It seems you want to look at HP's home computer line and specifically at their midrange systems. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Uh ok.... thought you were gonna go with HP but it doesnt matter ..... in all honesty ... Dell isnt much better hehe (even though I'd prolly buy a dell if I had to buy a OEM system). :)

Oh definitely not .... Dell has really gotten their act together since ... last year .... to be compared next to Alienware and Voodoo is no small task. HP's flagship system the m1050y series, is nowhere near the Dell XPS platform (i.e., DDR2-533 versus DDR-400) ... and while HP could make an equivalent system -- they chose not to -- now if you mean to say "could" as in "they are able to regardless" that's just getting nitpicky -- cuz I could too but that doesnt put me in the same ballpark as HP or Dell :)

That's the first objective thing you've said -- and I agree entirely! :) Considering the price and "peice of mind" that comes with buying an OEM system, HP systems do fill in the niche for entry-level consumers who are just getting their first computer or something :) However, while HP does fill this role very well (and possibly better than Dell) -- it certainly doesnt make them the "best overall" company for getting an OEM -- only because there isnt really a best OEM .. HP and Dell, as far as entry level systems go, are fairly neck and neck and it comes down to personal preference -- and as you've made abundantly clear, HP is the choice for you .... just realize not everyone shares your enthusiasm for HP.

But back to the original idea and concerning the $1500USD range, for those of us who deal with computers on a regular basis (i.e., take it apart down to the screws, clean and reassmble -- with organized cabling within 30 minutes) ... you need to realize it's hard for any of us to reccommend that any OEM system is "the best" ... and in the event that we are forced to, odds are you will hear XPS-3, A51, F-50 or something like that before you hear "Pavillion" or "Dimension" because we understand that these OEM companies know what we know (roughly) and they will try and use the crappiest parts they can without sacrificing QC to make the most money off these systems.

And can you blame us/them? No! Especially in the $1500 ballpark, the difference between a hand-built system and a OEM you get off the web is phenomenal. Considering I can probably build most of Dell/HP's $700-$1000 machines for $300-$400 .... that gives a lot of room to add a lot of extra goodies when you step up the garde to $1500. I think you have made a good point regarding "consumer's sense of security when buying an OEM" but when you evaluate the "best OEM", "a good feeling about a computer" isnt worth $1500.

But back on topic, the reason I personally said HP sucks (regardless of the last paragraph) is becayse their custom made bios's allow for damn near no personalization and alterations ... hell i can set the date/time/password/boot-sequence ... that's it! Dell's BIOSs arent much better in general (but their top end systems are fairly free).

13. JSRife

JSRife Guest

I have had this question for a long time. I know it's a little off the subject in general, I just wana ask a few things Praetor, while we are on the Home Computer building subject. Ok first of all, Lets say you build your own computer, Ok now it's done...If you ever have to reformat the machine, how would you go about that with a home built machine? I know factory built computers come with a reformat disc, and my HP and alot of other companies now have the reformat data right on the Hard/drive...If I ever need to reformat my machine, I simply turn off the computer and re-start it pushing F-10 several times and it takes me into the reformat screen and bam it's already getting started, very easy process. Like I was saying just wondering how you would re-format a Home built machine? I know their has to be a way, just curious how to do so. Another question...On Average how long does it take to build a complete machine? If you have everything you need, and start right on it without stopping and know what you are doing how long would it take the average person to complete it all?

14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Norton Ghost.

Once you do your initial install and get everything the way you like it you use Ghost to write an image of your HD to disc which you can then use to return your PC to a pristine state anytime you wish. It's very easy to do and you can make images anytime you want unlike a factory restore disc.

There isn't any worthwhile feature of a factory built PC that you can't duplicate with a homebuilt.

One day, including OS/software install, lunch and several cigarette breaks :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  15. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

well when i built my first ever computer and i was only 15 and am 16 now it took me 1 hour! then another hour to get all my software on. mind you i did have the guidance of a it tech but he was just checking what i was doing was ok and not to electricute myself

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  16. Praetor

Well now I just reghost to a previously perfected/tweaked state but to actually answer your question in a useful manner: I pop the WXP cd in the drive, boot up off the CD and reinstall, during the reinstal I have the option of a reformat

Wow I didnt know they actually went that far with their "customizations" .... I dunno how I feel about that ... I like to have control over my reformats :)

Use the WXP/W2K cd :)

Getting the mobo properly mounted in the case: 10 minutes (lol i hate this part)
    Everything else hardware like: 15 minutes
    Folding the IDE and tieing down the power cables so I have airflow: 10 minutes
    So about 35-40 minutes for assembly.
    Installing software is another matter and depending on how much stuff u install and how much of the gunk in WXP/W2K/W2K3 you remove and how much you tweak and configure your software/system, up to a week perfecting the configuration.... but once you have the config... its a simple 5 minute ghost.

17. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

hey when you mean reformat do u mean just delete everything inc windows? well all i do is put in xp cd and then just delete everything it literally takes les then a minute. but to reinstall windows well thats another matter

18. forkndave

forkndave Member

My first PC was a Packard Bell 486SuX 25 with 2 MB of memory. It pretty much did suck. I have built every one I've had since. A Nephew of mine had an HP that quit working. I decided that he should just get a new one, since this one was beyond my capabilities. You don't just replace a motherboard in one of those. I don't know where you'ld get one and no other brand would fit. I was going to try and remove any good parts, but after spending about a half hour trying to get the hard drive out, I told him to throw it away. Incidentally, I read somplace that a lot of computer manufacturers get their motherboards from ECS. That's the brand that Fry's Electronics usually includes with their MB/CPU combos. Usually they'll sell the combo for about the price of the CPU or sometimes less. Obviously they don't give much for the boards.

19. Praetor

A format would suggest a reinstallation of windows (or whatever operating system). Naturally the quick format option available under WXP and W2K3 would allow for a nice 10 second format but the W2K router doesnt have such an option and so it would take much longer. I would think that it would be standard to interpret "reformat" to mean "reformat and reinstall windows" but that's just me ;)

Budget systems typically pick ECS although the new favorite seems to be ASROCK as of late for some reason :)

20. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

yeah my motherboard is asrock i think its cool