AfterDawn: Tech news

Netflix to pick up the canceled 'Terra Nova'?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 08 Mar 2012 11:21 User comments (34)

Netflix to pick up the canceled 'Terra Nova'?

Earlier this week, Fox announced that it was cancelling the expensive, failed show "Terra Nova."
It now appears that the show may find a new home, and a second season, on the streaming Netflix service. Netflix and 20th Century Fox have been in preliminary discussions over a sale of the series, and both sides seem to be excited by the prospect.

Terra Nova cost $4 million per episode and was canceled after just one season due to low ratings and a unanimous hatred by critics. The show revolved around time travel/dimension jumping, and dinosaurs.

The move would be in line with Netflix's recent transition into original content. The company's first original show, "Lilyhammer" became available for streaming last month. The company will also stream the fourth season of the cult classic "Arrested Development," which was canceled in 2006.

ScreenRant says "Fox will be footing the bill for all of the series' visual effects, any previously created visual effects will be able to be reused without any additional financing," which should make production cheaper for Netflix if they were to indeed purchase the show.

Previous Next  

34 user comments

18.3.2012 23:31

Can they pickup Firefly? That would be the best recovery of a show ever!!

29.3.2012 04:16

Yeah man, Terra Nova and Firefly, I' be a happy little boy. lol

39.3.2012 05:29

This show was ok but the overall story and the writers went about it fairly bad.

People rocking up on the 1st show only to be attacked by another group, then have the animals attacking them later on, then being attacked from the future.

it's pretty messy they should have gone attacked by animals then maybe from the future then attacked from another group etc.

Overall though it's pretty silly to send people to that time as they will all be wiped out in their future.

49.3.2012 07:15
BENG2112
Unverified new user

i wonderred where Tarra Nova went.I will be watching it on my Netflix

59.3.2012 08:12

@xtago It's a different time line. Didn't you see that one? That's how they don't have to worry about affecting the future time line.

69.3.2012 08:20

this stinks! I don't have netflix, and even though I like this show, this isn't a reason to get it!

79.3.2012 08:53

Cool,I like this show and I dont have Netflix either but I bet Im still going to watch it!!!!LMAO

89.3.2012 10:21

I liked Terra Nova it was entertaining but im not sure about getting netflix just for a show BUT if they also pick up Firefly then i might consider IF the original cast comes back but im not sure how that would work cause if i remember right part of the cast gets killed off in Serenity.

99.3.2012 11:04

Two things... TN was too simply written. They'd throw complex time storylines & character development at their audience & then try to let old Ozzy & Harriette style family frivolity fill in the rest of the gaps between commercial gaps. It's literally like the guy who thinks he's being funny when he jokes about his crabs in the showers of the locker rooms. Knock those idiotic contradictions out of the show & it could be better.

another thing surrounding the show is that getting NetNuts to start producing it bumpkiss. They haven't even gotten their first series off the ground & Hollywood is already pressuring them to take on new responsibilities? Pretty typical. I read in another site that it is probably more likely that the show may befall another production house rather than go NetNuts.

It's happened before & shows have taken on a new life & done considerable much better. Hell, STNG was completely syndicated & look at that success.

109.3.2012 11:09

Originally posted by bigdan45:
While we're at it, add Deadwood to that list.
I'd get Netflix if it gave me access to discontinued network shows.
Maybe make "concluding the series" a mandatory requirement.
Netflix would attract all the network cancelled show audiences.
They could probably pick up these cancellations for a song.
There is $$$ to be made here, Netflix.

119.3.2012 12:19

Originally posted by joepet200:
Originally posted by bigdan45:
While we're at it, add Deadwood to that list.
I'd get Netflix if it gave me access to discontinued network shows.
Maybe make "concluding the series" a mandatory requirement.
Netflix would attract all the network cancelled show audiences.
They could probably pick up these cancellations for a song.
There is $$$ to be made here, Netflix.
I second that motion: bring back Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles and give it a proper send off!

129.3.2012 12:44

Originally posted by BENG2112:
i wonderred where Tarra Nova went.I will be watching it on my Netflix
You wondered where it went? It's only been off the air for a few months! :S I wasn't even aware that they were canceling it. Can't say I'm surprised though. I'm one of the people that LOVE the show, but it's obviously an expensive one. I say go for it netflix! I'm definitely into it :)

Please don't cancel falling skies!!!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Mar 2012 @ 12:47

139.3.2012 12:56

what you expect from a bunch of gnomes knots that can not even come up with a original idea.
you can take all of the Hollywood writers, then put in a room an tell then to come up with a new idea.
and do you know what you should get, another remake of a 20 year old movie or even better a new rendition of a comic book that is it.
wood you expect any thing better, I do not, or how many remakes you have seen lately.
if it was not for marvel comics they be dead.
sin city, X men, ext,ext, or any b rated novels, and top of it all they can even fallow the plots or was it flops.
well its all the same to all of them , is it not.

149.3.2012 13:05

robtwilk, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP as yours is 11 lines of text. post edited.
1. Text-only signatures should have at most 5 lines of text.
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

startrek7, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP as yours is 74,592 bytes, 500x196 pixels. post edited.
2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.

159.3.2012 14:49

What I saw of the program LR is right. It was too simply written. Too "Family Oriented" for the type of show, and way too confusing with the different plot lines.
That being said, this whole One-and-out for Sci-Fi shows is getting tired.
Sci Fi will fare MUCH better online.
There is a dichotomy building in the media world.
Broadcast TV needs viewers every week but needs to entertain even when episodes are missed. It needs to be able to grab new users mid-season. All of that makes the week to week reality shows or crime shows or even "creature of the week" shows, all very important to them...
But Sci-Fi/Fantasy watchers much prefer the model which is growing on-line. Where the story can take several seasons to fully develop. This type of show tends to alienate the random watcher.
For example, try to get into "Fringe" right now. It's tough. Far too much back-story. I love the show but there's no way I could get someone to "start" watching right now.
Only online makes these types of stories that we crave, doable.
I did not like Terra-Nova, but I'm glad someone is going to give them a chance. Maybe they'll rough it up a bit, knock the edges off and follow a consistent story arc. That would be great!

169.3.2012 15:16

Originally posted by omegaman7:
Please don't cancel falling skies!!!
YEAH! There's another show that could stand to be on the air for a while as well.

Originally posted by ThePastor:
...Sci-Fi/Fantasy watchers much prefer the model which is growing on-line. Where the story can take several seasons to fully develop. This type of show tends to alienate the random watcher.
I agree whole heartedly. I can see where Hulu & the online community services would greatly appreciate this kind of audiences as you could 'back watch' several episodes & get into a series if that's what you wanted to do, so as to not be one of the crowd missing out on an elongated plot line like that of a '24' or Fringe.

179.3.2012 16:49

TerraNova, Earth last hope :Earth have an opportunity to die from devastion and take a look they arrive to the primitive world to begin the fight again.And what will happen when the big meteor arrive to Earth and kill the dinosaurs what will happens with the Earth last hope.jaja

189.3.2012 17:52
SmaryJerry
Unverified new user

Please O please pick them up. This is just about the only half decent sci-fi show that is/was still active. Instead I'd rather have Firefly back obviously, but this will do for now.

199.3.2012 17:58

IF they really wanna impress me, they should pick up Journeyman. That was a very good show in my opinion! I was devastated when it was cancelled :(

209.3.2012 18:13

Well, if we're listing first season shows we want back I would have to put at the top of the list...

American Horror Story
and
Alphas

American Horror Story is not everyone's cup of tea, but if you are tired of the same ole stuff and you like Horror and are able to suspend belief for an hour or so, this show will blow you away...
But if you just come in on Season 2 you will be completely lost.

And the entire first season of Alphas was pretty much set-up. They haven't really found their stride yet. I hope they get the chance.

219.3.2012 21:21

I would love to see them pick up Farscape

229.3.2012 22:16

Originally posted by arnould1:
I would love to see them pick up Farscape
one of my favorite shows of all time, but the peacekeeper wars concluded the show well.

2310.3.2012 00:05

Originally posted by ddp:
robtwilk, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP as yours is 11 lines of text. post edited.

startrek7, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP as yours is 74,592 bytes, 500x196 pixels. post edited.
2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.
There's nothing to edit, my signature in settings is blank. My signature has been over 5 lines for about 10 years. I added some more lines last night not knowing about the rule. How could I react to your post ASAP, since I don't log in every day? I understand you're doing your job, but the reaction seemed a little harsh. I have been a very longtime, loyal member to this forum.

2410.3.2012 00:09

Originally posted by robtwilk:

There's nothing to edit, my signature in settings is blank. My signature has been over 5 lines for about 10 years. I added some more lines last night not knowing about the rule. How could I react to your post ASAP, since I don't log in every day? I understand you're doing your job, but the reaction seemed a little harsh. I have been a very longtime, loyal member to this forum.
I have a question also: it seems like my character count was fine - was it the hard returns that caused the problem?

2510.3.2012 13:56

hard returns? do you mean the line goes off the page & continues on next line then no as that was not the case?

2610.3.2012 14:04

hard returns? do you mean the line goes off the page & continues on next line then no as that was not the case?
Line wrapping uses soft returns. I hit enter after each line which creates hard returns. I could have entered the same amount of text in my signature using commas and line wrapping, and probably been under the five line limit. I will try a new signature using that method. Please let me know if this conforms to policy. Thx.

2710.3.2012 14:15

something to note about the news pages. My signature looks out of spec, but it's only on pages like these. The regular forums look fine.

2810.3.2012 14:22

robtwilk, you had 11 hard returns not the 5 as in the forum rules.

2910.3.2012 15:23

robtwilk, you had 11 hard returns not the 5 as in the forum rules.
Exactly. Also, it would help to put this rule ON the page where you actually "create" the signature. If you go there you will notice it simply says "kept quite short". I created my signature based on hundreds of other signatures in the forums 8 years ago.

I will create a new signature that wraps naturally.

Lastly, did you actually delete my signature from my profile? That is where I think you went way too far! Given more than 24 hrs I would have fixed my signature - instead of having to create it from scratch.

@DVDBack23 - thank you for the PM

3010.3.2012 15:29

Originally posted by omegaman7:
something to note about the news pages. My signature looks out of spec, but it's only on pages like these. The regular forums look fine.
Thanks. I see how the news articles are much more narrow than the forums.

I will make my signature look similar to yours. I like the style you used.

3111.3.2012 00:34

Just like Fox to cancel a show that they say failed that is actually halfway decent. Fox has a history of canceling decent and good shows to make room for crap TV that they will keep on for years

3211.3.2012 00:43

I wish it was only Fox - many great shows are cancelled by networks for no good reason. It is hard to invest any time into a show that may or may not be cancelled at any time.

3311.3.2012 01:21

It truly is a crapshoot. I have watched alphas, which is ok, and that is getting renewed (I figured the actors and cheap sets make it an easy choice)terra nova's sets probably cost more, more well known actors,etc. sunk it.

3411.3.2012 15:32

Well what about us? The viewers get the shaft while they play musical chairs with new shows! Terra Nova had real potential.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive