AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

Report: PS4 is codenamed Orbis, no used games allowed

news article released on:

According to Kotaku, the successor to the PlayStation 3 is codenamed "Orbis" and will be released in 2013. The details "come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publicly about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with us before," says Kotaku. Orbis in itself does not mean too much, standing for "circle" or "ring" in Latin. The site speculates, however, ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 75 messages.

you can disconnect your internet to run a game if its a used game.so far so are that many rumours its hard to keep up.give it a few days im sure we will hear more rumours.someone should contact sony and find out what are rumours and what is really happening.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
AfterDawn Advertisement
Originally posted by papaace13:
What if you don't have internet...how is the ps4 going to check to see if a used game is attached to a psn account?

unless it saves the code onto the console just like system update with different comes then the internet no needed but people will jail break it to allow it haha... unless they making it where psn is needed just like you said but not everyone has internet.

I mess up with quoting some how it double quote itself ... suck at editing sorry hehe

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
you can disconnect your internet to run a game if its a used game.so far so are that many rumours its hard to keep up.give it a few days im sure we will hear more rumours.someone should contact sony and find out what are rumours and what is really happening.

as long as we still can charge controllers through usb same usb kind... if we have to pay to charge controllers like MS did that for 360 and if they decided to take out wifi and add it back on later, I'll be pissed!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Mar 2012 @ 2:37
I find it strange that people would even think the next lot of consoles would even have a disk drive at all.

I've seen stuff about the next xbox not having one so you will have to buy/download all games you wanted anyway.

This is where it's headed anyway the PC has been doing this for the last 10 or so years. with steam and other downloaders, the PC games in a store can't be installed without steam or some sort of net program requiring the game code to be logged and that's it really, you can only download via that log in or use the game with that log in.

Doing anything else and the game won't work anyway.

It would seem the console people are a bit slow on what will happen with disk games, they will end up going and the game stores will go away as well never to be seeen again, or will only be online stores never to be seen in a shopping mall ever again.

This has happened with Music where music stores are pretty much gone and the only way to get music now is via the net.

Same deal with movies but the movie studios are holding off because they will make less money when they don't have any control over the middle guy with sales of movies.

PC games are pretty much gone these days from game stores and it's only the consoles games that is holding them around the second hand market is just a money makers but I don't see many people buying second hand games anyway I only have 2 second hand games myself everything else is brand new and I've been gaming for a good 25+ years now.

been through it all and nothing really new has happened in gaming for the last 15 or so years, even the monition stuff is old hats was done back in the early 90's the newest thing is that online gaming where it's streamed.

you never really own anything on that platform no matter what you pay all up for the box or games.
Again, I think it's privacy so people can't copy the disc and share it online.
I bet they just doing this just to get people to buy more hard drive and I hope they allow 3rd party still rather than their own hard drive just like ms 360 which is limited which is dumb by the way.

Hard drive companies will make lots of money if this comes true that if console is allowed more than the limit like I stated above.

It would be smart if console comes with hard drive like it always been if they're going to make this rumor is true.

In fact, I think PSvita doesn't come with the memory stick just the one with the first bundle has it.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Mar 2012 @ 3:21
Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
There not gonna say crap until they want the info released. I would not say anything either, it's all about having the next big thing or having the edge and they don't want to let the cat out of the bag. I think for a fact the anti-used game is just some BS made up by someone. It would be a huge mistake for Sony MS or Nintendo to ever implement that sort of system.
this will crash the server if they decided to make it downloads only
Now we're all starting to imply that console manufacturers are thinking about incorporating (or asking) that gamers save all their games to a hard drive on their game machines? that's probably not going to go over well either.

Seeing as they want to put tiny assed laptop hard drives on these things, that are limited to 1TB at the moment & this would mean that guys 'could' start trading these around as well. Not to mention the fact all the competition with the "clouds" out there. Yet another beautiful idea just waiting to blow up in their collective corporate faces.

Never bought a PS3. I don't intend to. I won't buy the next generation either. Certainly not from what I'm hearing! Sorry, but not allowing used games is VERY Underhanded. You just put another nail in your coffin $ony!

Probably won't even emulate the PS3 when that's possible. There's only one game I'm interested in anyhow...

And of course this could be a rumor ;)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Mar 2012 @ 19:28

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
WierdName Suspended due non-functional email address
I doubt they're this incredibly stupid. Doing such a thing would push the consumer base to either (a) commit to this crap, or (b) move to PC. Nobody with half a brain is going to continue paying the increasing price for a locked down console when it's getting close to that of a PC. Personally, this BS would definitely push me away from consoles for good. Consoles just can't compete with the open ended-ness of PCs. Consoles were great when they started and gave a good gaming experience to those that couldn't afford a PC. Nowadays though, they're almost as expensive and are still as limited as ever. Shoot, we can't even do stuff like Portal 2 custom maps on console. Microsoft, Sony, and yes, Nintendo are killing the market and can't even see it past their greed. Doing crap like this is just committing to the path and giving the consumer an ultimatum; knowingly take this crap or move up.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Mar 2012 @ 21:53

Doesnt expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected and therefore mean youre expecting the expected which was the unexpected until you expected it?
"Opinions are immunities to being told were wrong." - Relient K
Hackers alert coming in a near future to unlock PS3 and Xbox.
Gaming stores will be around for a while, not everyone has a ps3. This isn't going to kill the industry, not in the near future.

This is superman
What if GM or the DMV said you can't buy used cars any more? I am sure this is just rumor at this point. In this economy not allowing people to buy used games would really cripple the video game industry, not help it. I think it would also kill companies like gamefly and gamestop. The trade in element is what is keeping these stores alive. If I had to purchase all my games new, why go to the store when you will probably be able to download it right off the console anyway?

I wont buy these next gen consoles if this is true. Back to PC gaming.

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1333, Corsair 750TX PSU
10 TB Wes Dig. 64G Corsair SSD
Originally posted by 8686:
What if GM or the DMV said you can't buy used cars any more? I am sure this is just rumor at this point. In this economy not allowing people to buy used games would really cripple the video game industry, not help it. I think it would also kill companies like gamefly and gamestop. The trade in element is what is keeping these stores alive. If I had to purchase all my games new, why go to the store when you will probably be able to download it right off the console anyway?

I wont buy these next gen consoles if this is true. Back to PC gaming.

Who said that you would not be allowed to buy used games? Not everyone will own a ps4 and many people still do not own a ps3, used game sales will not go anywhere anytime soon...

This is superman
What bothers me the most about no used games is that I just can't take it over to a friends house to play. I play by myself sometimes, but mostly in a group, I don't want to have to take and set up my console to play one game. That would be a regression.

Having resale value is a value that should be accounted for in the price of games. They probably won't drop the price, but they should be cheaper than the usual.
I think they got it wrong and it should be the Circle of Failure.
Oh you guys didn't hear?

The idea is to push a controversial idea, and guess what? Surprise surprise! We DON'T represent 99% of the gaming community. And, they will execute the idea REGARDLESS of whether the people like it. And, they will like it, eventually. It will become normal.

Just like the government (US) spends our money with zero accountability is 'normal'.

Remember when Microsoft forced Vista down people's throats even when they protested? This is not any different.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Apr 2012 @ 22:00
Originally posted by tatsh:

Remember when Microsoft forced Vista down people's throats even when they protested? This is not any different.
Nope. I don't remember. I ran windows XP, and then windows 7. Nothing in between :p Windows 8 probably won't get my thumbs up either. And neither will the so called Orbis...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Apr 2012 @ 21:48

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!
I think they may be some truth about the used game scenario because Game and Gamestation went into administration last week briefly. There seems to be an orchestrated effort by the banks to squeeze finances on used game retailers. This would leave supermarkets or large media outlets to sell full priced games only. If Sony and Microsoft go down this route then I could see the new Nintendo Console selling quite well - Or PC's sales with console emulation really excelling. Lets wait and see though.

Trin - Making Digital Waves
Originally posted by omegaman7:
I ran windows XP, and then windows 7. Nothing in between :p Windows 8 probably won't get my thumbs up either. And neither will the so called Orbis...
Other than IT garbage & was forced to learn Vista, I was right there with you. I'm still kinda dreading 8 for the same reasons previously mentioned & what the hell is Orbis...?

Originally posted by TrinUK:
- Or PC's sales with console emulation really excelling. Lets wait and see though.
I would most certainly like to see this come to fruition. God knows the games were originally developed on computers to begin with. Albeit, more heartier machines than the average home user will readily see in a lifetime, but no reason the console manufacturers couldn't sell a PC emulator at a third of the price of their consoles to the hardcore PC gamer.

You know there would still be a market for their controllers & accessories. So what would be the real problem (of course I probably know the answer, but open the complaint department anyway)?

Originally posted by tatsh:
Oh you guys didn't hear?

The idea is to push a controversial idea, and guess what? Surprise surprise! We DON'T represent 99% of the gaming community. And, they will execute the idea REGARDLESS of whether the people like it. And, they will like it, eventually. It will become normal.

Just like the government (US) spends our money with zero accountability is 'normal'.

I don't remember it either because I never used vista. Once again, no one is forcing anything. You can continue to play ps3 until titles run out or go the pc route or just get a ps4 and play both. Its not really that big of a deal.

This is superman
mfx3 Unverified new user
Hope these rumors are just rumors...what a slap in the face to the gaming community. If PS4 doesn't allow for used games, I'll buy the Xbox console. If the next Xbox doesn't allow for used games either, I'll just go outside and start living my life.
I just don't believe this crap about "no used games allowed" that violates Fair Use and how would they implement that unless ALL games were digital only?
Originally posted by hearme0:
I just don't believe this crap about "no used games allowed" that violates Fair Use and how would they implement that unless ALL games were digital only?
It could be possible if the drive somehow marked the disc with a unique code. Digital online games would be a much easier exercise.

The developers or console makers probably wont see this as a violation of fair use because you can buy rare Neo Geo games for over 1000 and Snatcher on the Mega CD for an average of 180. They feel they are losing out on such sales in the used market and want to have full control of their software/future re-sales when the console life comes to an end. I think the whole idea stinks like sewage treatment paste on toast.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Apr 2012 @ 4:25

Trin - Making Digital Waves
PatHenry Unverified new user
This was an anonymous source. Not playing used games would sound like something a game company would do. If they were a publisher. the only reason they would do this is if they are selling the system at a loss.
Don't grasp at rumor straws, the ultimate result is a worthless PR response or stunt.
joejoe28 Unverified new user
wouldn't this kill companies like game fly or electronic boutique? I like renting and buying used games because if they suck, I don't end up wasting so much money.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.