AfterDawn: Tech news

NPD: Cable bill to average $200 per month, soon

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 12 Apr 2012 11:27 User comments (58)

NPD: Cable bill to average $200 per month, soon A new report from the NPD Group today claims the average cable subscription will increase to $200 per month by the end of the decade.
Nomura Equity Research says don't blame the cable companies, however. The research firm says program suppliers have increased their fees by 8.2 percent over the last year, alone, and those kind of increases are expected every year going forward.

Of the major media companies, Disney accounts for the largest chunk of fees, taking a massive 24 percent. ESPN, its most profitable venture, accounts for a good portion of its substantial fees, with ESPN bringing in an average of $4.69 from every U.S. cable subscriber.

Time Warner (distributor of HBO, TNT, TBS and CNN), controls 21 percent of the fees, followed by Comcast (Bravo, USA Network) at 16 percent and News Corp. (Fox) at 14 percent.

Furthermore, the analyst firm says "re-transmission fees paid to broadcast network affiliate stations totaled nearly $400 million in 2011 and should reach $750 million this year."

Previous Next  

58 user comments

112.4.2012 12:19

TV services should be cheap, I find it very odd we pay so much for something that shoves so many ads in our face. Take a one hour program at most its 45min so the rest is ads. No wonder so many people cut the cord and are now downloading shows online or watching online with other services like Hulu and Netflix. I guess as long as people will pay for it they will keep raising the cost, just like they do with gas.

212.4.2012 12:36

Actually, the correct format is 44 minutes of actual programming, the rest is adds. For a 1 hour show. 2 - 10 sec [edit] station IDs, then the rest is spent on crap we may or may not need. All deemed necessary by the idiots that put it on the screen.

And yet we pay even more to have it piped into our homes on a monthly basis. Hell, I'm right at that $200 mark, with internet, & all I have is all the basics & HBO.

As far as I'm concerned, get rid of Disney & ESPN & that could easily knock $40 of my bill right away. But nooooo, for some gyotdamn reason we can't choose? They give us a means to purchase any movie, at any time, for any price, or any freebie tv show under the same circumstances, but now all of the sudden we can't get rid of channels we don't want or tailor a bill to our satisfaction?

That's like going to a restaurant & being told what you're going to eat, what you're going to pay for it AND it's already to late you don't get to leave.

Yeah, well cable... It IS your fault.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Apr 2012 @ 9:59

312.4.2012 13:16

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, get rid of Disney & ESPN & that could easily knock $40 of my bill right away. But nooooo, for some gyotdamn reason we can't choose? They give us a means to purchase any movie, at any time, for any price, or any freebie tv show under the same circumstances, but now all of the sudden we can't get rid of channels we don't want & tailor a bill to our satisfaction?
That's the thing that TICKS me off about all cable companies. Why can't we pick and choose the stations we want? At one point my bill got as high as $300/month, so I said enough of this and dropped all HD channels and went to the very most basic package I could get. Now I pay $200/month which is still a ripoff considering what I don't get. Its almost to the point where I gonna drop cable altogether.

412.4.2012 13:17

Not only ads, but product placement. Ever notice how the actors hold soda or beer cans.

That said, I'd have maybe a dozen stations at most if I were to choose a la carte.

512.4.2012 15:26

Originally posted by LordRuss:
Actually, the correct format is 44 minutes of actual programming, the rest is adds. For a 1 hour show. 2 - 10 station IDs, then the rest are spent on crap we may or may not need. All deemed necessary by the idiots that put it on the screen.

And yet we pay even more to have it piped into our homes on a monthly basis. Hell, I'm right at that $200 mark, with internet, & all I have is all the basics & HBO.

As far as I'm concerned, get rid of Disney & ESPN & that could easily knock $40 of my bill right away. But nooooo, for some gyotdamn reason we can't choose? They give us a means to purchase any movie, at any time, for any price, or any freebie tv show under the same circumstances, but now all of the sudden we can't get rid of channels we don't want & tailor a bill to our satisfaction?

That's like going to a restaurant & being told what you're going to eat, what you're going to pay for it AND it's already to late you don't get to leave.

Yeah, well cable... It IS your fault.
Actually......it's a tinge over 42 minutes since you felt compelled to henpeck Mr_Bill over a minute.

612.4.2012 15:30

Originally posted by Mysttic:
Quote:
That's the thing that TICKS me off about all cable companies. Why can't we pick and choose the stations we want? At one point my bill got as high as $300/month, so I said enough of this and dropped all HD channels and went to the very most basic package I could get. Now I pay $200/month which is still a ripoff considering what I don't get. Its almost to the point where I gonna drop cable altogether.
I do have to ask.......WTF country are you in that cable is running 300/month???

Ain't no cable bill that high anywhere in the U.S. unless, by chance you subscribe to EVERY LAST SINGLE PREMIUM CABLE CHANNEL ................. PLUS.........stuff like AsiaNet. Seriously.....you need to be a more conscientious consumer!

712.4.2012 15:31

Originally posted by hearme0:
Quote:
I do have to ask.......WTF country are you in that cable is running 300/month???

Ain't no cable bill that high anywhere in the U.S. unless, by chance you subscribe to EVERY LAST SINGLE PREMIUM CABLE CHANNEL ................. PLUS.........stuff like AsiaNet. Seriously.....you need to be a more conscientious consumer!
Could be paying for 20 set top boxes!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Apr 2012 @ 3:31

812.4.2012 15:49

Originally posted by SProdigy:
Quote:

Could be paying for 20 set top boxes!
Yeah.......there is that. And that would just be INSANE!! That person would benefit from going out for a bike ride and getting a girlfriend.

912.4.2012 16:09

Quote:

Canada. Our cable companies have to pay US cable companies for the rights to air their shows in our country. That cost in turn gets deflected to us Canadians. The more channels you have the higher the charge for those rights to view those stations. Add on top your regular charge, your service fees, your HD fees, etc. It's ridiculous in this country.

I only have 1 box, and 2 TVs that were getting basic cable without the box at $10 extra on my bill. I also live in a backwater town where its more expensive to cable to your house. Still the price is outrageous even after I lowered it. My internet bill is tied in with my cable bill btw, that was $100 a month now its $60. But still it's very costly in our country which is why we download or stream a lot here.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Apr 2012 @ 4:12

1012.4.2012 16:14
kev3
Unverified new user

Quote:

You pay that much..........you seriously need a girlfriend to do things with to occupy your time. When my bill reached $142.00 two years ago i got rid of cable tv, now i only have internet and phone. I wanted to get rid of phone but my home security needs a land-line. Take my advice go get yourself an over the air antenna and subscribe to Netflix or Hulu for your movies they are much cheaper. I see no reason for folk's to be paying more than $100.00 for tv/internet/phone that's my 2 cents.

1112.4.2012 16:18

I've not had a cable bill in years.
Pay movie channels have been rip-offs for a very long time.
Broadcast is FREE
200 PPV channels and another 200 infomercial channels can go to hell.
Paying out the ass for HD?
Take HALF of that $200 per month and invest in a GOOD HTPC with great internet... a netflix subscription and a Usenet account.
Done.

1212.4.2012 16:29

Quote:
You pay that much..........you seriously need a girlfriend to do things with to occupy your time. When my bill reached $142.00 two years ago i got rid of cable tv, now i only have internet and phone. I wanted to get rid of phone but my home security needs a land-line. Take my advice go get yourself an over the air antenna and subscribe to Netflix or Hulu for your movies they are much cheaper. I see no reason for folk's to be paying more than $100.00 for tv/internet/phone that's my 2 cents.
You are an idiot (why? Cause rather than ask why it got that high, you assume I a single guy with no freaking life; wrong, I married with 2 kids @ age 5 and 2; my 5yo has a speech disorder, and the other is crazy smart. Both require constant attention both indoors and outdoors; while they are indoors they enjoy their kids channels (it's the only thing I ever play on my TV as I don't watch tv, I am a gamer).

Please read when I said at 1 point I paid $300 (why? Cause to get Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network through subscriber, I had to get two HD packages on only 1 box. It was insane how much that costs. Now my kids live with Treehouse and a few other standard channels. Whatever else they need I get off the net) now my bill is cut in half thanks. Like geesh.

However you are smart to go with Netflix and Hulu. I don't think Hulu is in Canada yet, but I know Netflix is. However, they suck up bandwidth like no tomorrow. And I got an 80GB cap, so cable it is.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Apr 2012 @ 5:16

1312.4.2012 17:29

My sat bill is almost $70, and we are thinking of dropping that in favor of an old fashioned roof mount antenna, plus viewing videos on Netflix streaming/dvd and hulu. We only watch maybe 10 different channels on the average. Alacarte would be nice, but the greedy cable/sat company's won't even think of that. If enough people drop them because of pricing, maybe something positive will happen for consumers for a change, wadda ya think?

1412.4.2012 17:40

I cut out television over 10 years ago and telephone service 4 years ago. The only thing I pay for is internet access.

1512.4.2012 17:53

How can anyone pay that much for tv? I watch way too much tv and I would never pay that. I am disgusted at how much my bell satellite bill is ($100). I'm splitting that with 5 other people and I'm still probably going to cancel it soon.

1612.4.2012 18:02
kev3
Unverified new user

Quote:
You are an idiot (why? Cause rather than ask why it got that high, you assume I a single guy with no freaking life; wrong, I married with 2 kids @ age 5 and 2; my 5yo has a speech disorder, and the other is crazy smart. Both require constant attention both indoors and outdoors; while they are indoors they enjoy their kids channels (it's the only thing I ever play on my TV as I don't watch tv, I am a gamer).

Please read when I said at 1 point I paid $300 (why? Cause to get Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network through subscriber, I had to get two HD packages on only 1 box. It was insane how much that costs. Now my kids live with Treehouse and a few other standard channels. Whatever else they need I get off the net) now my bill is cut in half thanks. Like geesh.

However you are smart to go with Netflix and Hulu. I don't think Hulu is in Canada yet, but I know Netflix is. However, they suck up bandwidth like no tomorrow. And I got an 80GB cap, so cable it is.
I am very happy to know you have a family, because it was beyond me why you were paying $300 for tv. As for the internet caps....the cable tv company who provides the internet most times wants to keep you paying for cable tv. So they make sure you cant download any bootleg or stream any content. I think they want to kill off the competition like Netflix and Hulu. My over the air antenna provides me enough content, thus Comcast/Verizon and Cox can't put no cap on me lol.

1712.4.2012 19:09

Originally posted by kev3:
Quote:

I am very happy to know you have a family, because it was beyond me why you were paying $300 for tv. As for the internet caps....the cable tv company who provides the internet most times wants to keep you paying for cable tv. So they make sure you cant download any bootleg or stream any content. I think they want to kill off the competition like Netflix and Hulu. My over the air antenna provides me enough content, thus Comcast/Verizon and Cox can't put no cap on me lol.
You do not receive audio in Dolby digital 5.1 using over-the-air broadcast.

Bundle with second from the top level DTV sat programming, 40 gig optical internet connection and unlimited phone land line went from $122.xx to $160.xx in three months.

I called Century link to give them a piece of my mind. They said I qualify for $10.00/six month discount. Oh boy..

DTV charges $5.00 and up for movies when I can rent a Blu-ray disk from Redbox for $1.63 including tax.

It is partly the fault of the content holders and DTV received a 10% bump to transmit their content. DTV passed on to subscribers a 4% increase this year.

Something has got to give with the increase in cost or I will dump CenturyLink and DTV when my contract is up with DTV these last six months of a two year contract I have with them.

Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Apr 2012 @ 7:10

1812.4.2012 19:27

Originally posted by skeil909:
I cut out television over 10 years ago and telephone service 4 years ago. The only thing I pay for is internet access.
Same here. Kudos to you, sir.

1912.4.2012 21:43

Quote:
You are very correct here, and ty. I swear our internet companies are allowed to lower bandwidth caps in hopes to lure people into TV. Most internet providers in Canada supply cable or satellite so this is no surprise. The ISP that don't supply cable, tho have no bandwidth caps and are fairly cheap; sadly I can't get over 2mb/sec on the best of days. Hopefully when I move, I can get something more feasible with a descent connection speed. A buddy of mine went with the same DSL provider that got me 2mb/sec but at his place got 8-12. That would be a lot better.

greedy corporate bastards...

2012.4.2012 22:44

Wow I only pay $49 a month for unlimited net and home phone and stream and download anything I want. If I can't be bothered waiting 2 minutes to download a program I just watch FTA which is barely never anyway.

2112.4.2012 23:19

I hear you Mysttic, man Canada sucks ass for internet. Bell and Rogers being so greedy trying to make every ISP (that rent's there line's) in our country cap the net. It's funny cause Bell was offering a service like Netflix and guess what, the usage for Bells service was not counted towards your usage. It's just complete crap that all ISP's, cable, and cell phone services in Canada have to be Canadian owned. It leaves no competition and now we have a closed market with 2 giants to control price, usage, and everything else.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Apr 2012 @ 11:21

2213.4.2012 01:26

I dont know how you people can spend hundreds on cable tv.I live in australia and i only watch free to air tv.dont see the point in paying to watch tv.

as for those of you with children when i was a child we had an old tv (the ones that have the wooden sides and the legs on the bottom) and a 38cm tv for playing games on.we had a vcr and use to go to the video store.we turned out fine without 5 or so kids channels.

2313.4.2012 05:55

Cable TV and net i
s nice for ma bell,and the usual suspects.

Thankfully when I have a film I want to see, I run it in my private screening room on Philips / Norelco 35/70 mm projection equipment. Nothing like a 70mm six channel magnetic audio print.

I tolerate ma bell u-verse for video and net...and they are trying my patience. Full Uverse/ net $ 176.00/month after taxes and creative other charges.
DP70

2413.4.2012 05:55

Cable TV and net i

Thankfully when I have a film I want to see, I run it in my private screening room on Philips / Norelco 35/70 mm projection equipment. Nothing like a 70mm six channel magnetic audio print.

I tolerate ma bell u-verse for video and net...and they are trying my patience. Full Uverse/ net $ 176.00/month after taxes and creative other charges.
DP70

2513.4.2012 08:20

Originally posted by dp70:
Cable TV and net i

DP70
Nice!
Nothing like viewing a two-four-oh anamorphic movie.

Lately I've been collecting old movies shot in 35/70 on Blu-ray like Le Mans. Six channel audio rocks. Seems the audio has been remastered to 5.1 or 7.1 DTS which I believe is still used by movie theaters to this day.

Jeff

2613.4.2012 09:32
JAYMES71
Inactive

Cable TV? What's THAT?? You dummies go ahead and pay these crooks. I don't watch it at all. It's all propaganda of some kind or another anyway. If I watch, I watch Netflix (all the cable I have is internet and they charge me almost $70/mo for it!) or I tune into my DTV antenna for FREE.

I remember when I was a kid and cable first came out. It was COMMERCIAL-FREE. Then they start putting ads on some of the channels a little bit at a time until now you're paying through the nose for what USED to be free when our parents were kids. DUMMIES DUMMIES DUMMIES! Stupid Americans can't live without being programmed by the one-eyed hypnotist in the corner of the room. You're getting what you deserve :D

2713.4.2012 09:52

Originally posted by JAYMES71:
Cable TV? What's THAT?? You dummies go ahead and pay these crooks. I don't watch it at all. It's all propaganda of some kind or another anyway. If I watch, I watch Netflix (all the cable I have is internet and they charge me almost $70/mo for it!) or I tune into my DTV antenna for FREE.

I remember when I was a kid and cable first came out. It was COMMERCIAL-FREE. Then they start putting ads on some of the channels a little bit at a time until now you're paying through the nose for what USED to be free when our parents were kids. DUMMIES DUMMIES DUMMIES! Stupid Americans can't live without being programmed by the one-eyed hypnotist in the corner of the room. You're getting what you deserve :D
Sorry Mr. elitist. Guess some of us dummies would prefer to watch current programming and sports.. That is anything but soccer. ;)

DTV is not free so you must pirate it. Notty, notty! Over the air digital does not have multichannel audio.

You get what you pay for.

Snotty little Brit.

Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Apr 2012 @ 9:56

2813.4.2012 10:34

Actually......it's a tinge over 42 minutes since you felt compelled to henpeck Mr_Bill over a minute.
You're going to argue with someone who's been in the radio & television industry for 40+ years? I gave an average. Between local amateur hour idiots re-editing re-run shows in order to throw in even more local adds, to the bible belt literally editing 'on the fly' any material they deem 'unfit', it can be from 44, which is the customary 22 minutes per 30 minute broadcast or doubled for an hour broadcast; actual productions are built/edited to the 44 minute time frame.

The only reason this could be less is if the format is less 2 minutes for the European format, which I didn't work in. Thus, I'm not commenting for, so the 'biting' can commence...

Doing a Google search & going with what the happy masses 'think' is the right answer don't make it so. Accordingly, what you saw as hen pecking, I was intending as simply a bit of 'insider information'. You, on the other hand, seem to want to inflate yet another deflated sack as king atop that pissant mountain of 'right'.

Take up a more righteous cause than that so radical as 'honor police'. Moan & complain about the cable companies as the article dictates instead of roaming like cattle off on a tangent. Mr_Bill is a big boy, if he was angered I'm sure he'll let me know.

As usual, all I've seen you do in here is brow beat & belittle people for they do/don't have or chastise them for a particular situation they may find themselves in. A little empathy goes a long way. Hubris sir.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Apr 2012 @ 10:48

2913.4.2012 10:35

Originally posted by Semperfipal:
My sat bill is almost $70, and we are thinking of dropping that in favor of an old fashioned roof mount antenna, plus viewing videos on Netflix streaming/dvd and hulu. We only watch maybe 10 different channels on the average. Alacarte would be nice, but the greedy cable/sat company's won't even think of that. If enough people drop them because of pricing, maybe something positive will happen for consumers for a change, wadda ya think?

3013.4.2012 10:49

They're predicting $200/month by the end of the decade for watching tv?

All I can say is EXCELLENT!

Why, because I love seeing these greedy corporate scumbags kill themselves off. They've lost site of the fact that THEY need US, and not the other way around.

The way streaming is taking off now, by the end of the decade "cable programming" should be nothing more than a joke that's told while sitting around at the bar.

And satellite is right there behind them.

They keep their customers locked in to paying for "blocks" of channels because what other choice does the customer have. There is none. It's not like you can dump one cable company for another who'll let you choose your programming. They all use the same format.

But now we, the customers, are at a turning point. We have the options for picking and choosing what we want, when we want, via the web.

And it's only going to get more and more popular as more and more of the general population find out how to cut the cord.

I dumped cable tv ages ago and went with sat. And as sat. continued to climb, I dumped paid tv all together.

I bought an o.t.a. hd antenna for locals and everything I want to watch I now stream at my own leisure.

3113.4.2012 10:50

SOON! I am already paying over $200 for cable and internet what a joke they have you by the short hairs so you have to pay what they are asking or it's back to living in the dark ages.

3213.4.2012 10:59

Originally posted by duke8888:
SOON! I am already paying over $200 for cable and internet what a joke they have you by the short hairs so you have to pay what they are asking or it's back to living in the dark ages.
Bullshit.

Take the leap, brother. Speak with your wallet. Drop the cable tv. There really is so many better options.

Honestly, I did have that "/deep breath/ Am I sure I want to do this?" moment when I first picked up the phone to call the satellite company to cancel my subscription.

And it was a weird change for a few days. All the sudden it wasn't sitting down at 7 to watch this or that.

These days the wife and I are doing a lot more besides planting our asses on the couch. And when we do sit down to watch tv, we actually have more choice.

3313.4.2012 11:13

OK... Several of you guys are touting a 'cable free' lifestyle & all the comforts, but lets get a few things straight first...

1. Where are you living? If it's near a metropolitan area, you can still get all your locals. Some of us hillbillies aren't so lucky.

2. What is your ISP. I really don't think a dinky 3Mb DSL is going to cut it with 4 people hitting it looking for entertainment at the same time during the evening.

3. Not that I'm inept, but let's face it, there's a lot of folks that don't know the first thing about looking up all the entertainment options out there on the net, are you guys using a 'one stop shop' for all your choices or are you selective?

I know about XMBC & there's obviously Netflix & paid Hulu, but other folks would cower in the corner liked greased sheep to a twisted slobbering herder on the whole subject.

I mean, it's nice to tell a guy "just do it!!!!", but when you still have to go to cable for the hi-speed ISP & possibly a lengthy (dare I say more $s) set up for your show, it gets a bit daunting.

What say you folks that made the break?

3413.4.2012 12:18

Looks like there's a correlation in the bill and the weight of the average American, both keep rising. get off your duff's and go outside and DO something. I wonder how many who complain they can't afford health insurance are paying $200 for cable?

3513.4.2012 12:22

LR,

I'm one of the "old timers" around here (nearing my mid 40's), so I'm not as technically advanced as many of these young guys.

But if you can read then you have no excuse for, at least, not trying.

For me, all it took was a discussion exactly like this topic. I, too, was one of the many who were growing more and more tired of corporation's grasp on my wallet.

I seen mention of "set top boxes", "htpc", "xbmc", "streaming", etc. etc. and that's all that got me Google-ing. While reading up on one topic, I came across a whole new slew of options.

The more you read up, the more you say to yourself "why haven't I been doing this years ago".

For your locals, read up on hdtv antennas. You'd be surprised on the reach some of them have. I'm about 25 miles from the city so I was able to get away with a cheap hdtv antenna. But there are some that will pull in a signal from 100 miles or more.

Programming; right now we just record/download the few shows we like and watch them at our convenience. There's shows my wife likes which I don't, so she'll watch them when I'm busy. And the same for my shows.

As for internet, I just have a 10mb line and it's MORE than enough for my wife to browse the internet AND talk on the phone (voip, I use an OOMA) while I'm gaming online (loving BF3) and using Teamspeak.

So yes, everyone should take the leap. Really, what's the WORSE case scenario? The cable companies will still be there if it doesn't work out.

And if it work out then there's one more convert to help pass on the knowledge.

3613.4.2012 13:06

Cable/Satellite? No thanks. But then I have no internet cap! When I have paid for such a service, I still had trouble finding something worthwhile to watch. Commercials, multiple channels airing the same thing! Not to mention a strong percentage of sports channels! I'm not into sports :p The internet is evolving rapidly. If the cable/satellite companies don't evolve with it, they may find themselves left behind ;) Most people seem to be wising up. Quite frankly, we've become a rather lazy race anyhow. I suppose sitting at my computer for hours on end is lazy too though :p But at least I'm working to accomplish something.

3713.4.2012 13:40

I cut the video part of cable off 3 years ago & just have cable internet service. Still my bill (for internet) runs $70 a month which is better than twice that for digital preferrred (from Comcast) plus the internet service they offer. With all the movies I recorded off cable TV, bought & converted into DVD's from internet downloads + Netflix? Who needs cable with the box? I sure don't!! And oh yeah I watch 5 out of about 70 channells over the air with an antenna for free if you count all of the digital subchannells.....

3813.4.2012 14:14

I'm sorry but none of the internet crap is a good solution nor is there a one stop shop. Plus a lot of the streaming still comes with commercials and you can't fast forward through them either like you can on a set-top box, the quality just isn't there.

I use Pandora for music on occasion but the sound quality is horrible, so as background music it is fine but if I'm going to enjoy what I'm listing to I have to go back to CD/DVD/Blu-ray music or extremely high quality MP3/WMA rips.

Streaming A/V is even worst and takes a lot of bandwidth plus there are a lot of bad feeds/rips too.

You can't get live sports on the net without special subscriptions to each provider typically for each sport.

@Russ, Was it necessary to squabble over a minute when in fact it varies on the broadcast channels and some are worst than others? That was really pretty petty I think.

@Kevin, You need to play with your mini-MAC more. :) LOL Although you are absolutely right that even with 300+ channels these days you still can't find something good to watch.

Sports would be the biggest thing I would miss in dropping pay TV but I would also miss TCM. News and other crappy TV I could careless about the quality so the Internet, that Al Gore invented (LOL), would suffice, MAYBE.

Years ago when I moved to pay TV it was to get away from COMMERCIALS, but now they double dip as I'm getting paid commercials in the TV content and from the reselling providers in their Guides and overlapped on the original broadcast. To me that is unacceptable but most think nothing of it so here we go. And this is why they get away with what they are doing. At some point we will have to drop them to put them in their place but until then they will continue on the path, much like Netflix did until everyone fled them on poor decisions.

Originally posted by bhetrick:
I'm one of the "old timers" around here (nearing my mid 40's), so I'm not as technically advanced as many of these young guys.
You're still a young pup. :) The LordRuss and I have you beat for what it is worth by at least a decade as Russ is getting really old. LOL And actually both Russ and I are technically savvy considering our old ages. :0

@Russ again,
Your 3+ point is pretty much right on in my opinion.

3913.4.2012 14:17

Originally posted by bhetrick:
LR,

But if you can read then you have no excuse for, at least, not trying.

For me, all it took was a discussion exactly like this topic. I, too, was one of the many who were growing more and more tired of corporation's grasp on my wallet.

At the risk of becoming crotchety, speaking for myself, I already know the how's & where's, I was speaking more in reference to folks that truly don't know or are too scared to make the leap.

Simply passing the buck & telling them to read isn't going to cut it. That's why other corporate manufacturers come along & try to whip up a solution like Boxee & SlingBox ect... as a 'supposed' cheaper solution, only to nickel & dime you to death later down the road.

I'm perfectly capable of self educating, as well as you are, but you can't tell me that at 60:1 (not in our favor) individuals want a turnkey solution. This is why corporate America has everyone by the nuts & then the 60 want to know what happened.

I'm sure you still change the oil in your cars too, but on occasion I'm sure you get the notion to just let someone else do it for a change as well. Or better still; how about when you went to get information on how to change the oil for the first time? What if some smart ass up & told you to get a book?

Sans the ethical implications about doing for ones self, I believe we're trying to touch on a more global implication here. I'm certainly not making excuses for the sheep. Ignorance is absolutely excusable. Stupidity should be punishable.

4013.4.2012 14:28

Originally posted by Mr-Movies:

@Russ, Was it necessary to squabble over a minute when in fact it varies on the broadcast channels and some are worst than others? That was really pretty petty I think.
Like I was saying in the blathering "idiot monologue" I was trying to divulge a little insider information. I can't be as animated in print as i am in real life so Arial font looks like 'pissy old fat bastard'.

I guess I'll just have to take my lumps as they come...

Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
@Russ again,
Your 3+ point is pretty much right on in my opinion.
Get some right, get some wrong... I've thought about doing stand up for a while, but then there was this dangerous cross breeding into politics as well...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Apr 2012 @ 2:29

4113.4.2012 14:39

I have yet to ever buy cable and im 31 years old. Just dont see a need for it. I never even had a converter box. Cable is not air. Home phone is not air. Let me teach, and you can learn. Any show is on the internet just look around. Free. Internet $40 a month. Magic Jack $104 for 5 years and comes with free long distance, Caller ID, Call waiting, Voice mail. What more could u want? Movies. I go to the pawn shop when they have sales once a month and buy like 20-60 at a time. Buy two for $4 and get the third for free. Cheaper then cable, and resell able. TV 52" bought from a repair shop for $250 works like new. Stop being a slave sheep and you will still have what you want, and tell the crooks to kiss off.

4213.4.2012 16:05

Yes, I must agree that there is no "easy" solution.
I absolutely refuse streaming because I just cannot handle the quality, nor the inability to FF / RW...
And a commercial makes me flip channels, so if I get a commercial in my STREAMING show and am unable to change channels or FF ... well, you get the idea.

The reality is, though, that while there is no easy solution, there are CERTAINLY solutions that are not so easy.
That means that the not so easy should eventually become easy, so keep your eyes open.
Yes, you'll probably have to change a few viewing habits but in the end it will be significantly better.

Currently I am able to watch all the currently running shows I want, (including most any sport I want if I don't mind watching it delayed). The show appears automatically in my X Box Media Center XBMC and it requires very little management.
No, it's not for everyone. It requires forethought, time, and patience but... the fact that it is doable now with these tools means that it will/should soon be available to all.
This is why I am so frustrated. I know what is possible. I know how easy it is. I know how AWESOME it is to have a full season of a show before I start watching it.
And I know that the media companies could do it for everyone if they would just quit being so GD greedy.

4313.4.2012 18:57

If we got to "choose" our channels, how else would the cable companies be able to rob us?

If it did happen I'd only need three channels,
Movie, Sports, News or Cartoons. Can't believe the amount of shyt they put on the damn channels nowadays.

4413.4.2012 22:33

I'm at the point in which I'll think about soon cutting off the Cable TV and just have the internet (I'd rather read books or surf the 'net anyway.)

4513.4.2012 23:20

Originally posted by getanacct:
I'm at the point in which I'll think about soon cutting off the Cable TV and just have the internet (I'd rather read books or surf the 'net anyway.)
Ya lol, or fill the car over halfway.

4614.4.2012 01:20

NJ has no TV Services to Cardboard boxes thanks to the Big CC...[/

4715.4.2012 09:04

i have 100mb glasfiber internet fup policy and 85 tv channels from wich are 15 hd channels .i pay apox $90 usd for it .i can use op to 4 tvs in my house .

and i thought europe(the netherlands ) is expencive .

4816.4.2012 13:52

Quote:

Canada. Our cable companies have to pay US cable companies for the rights to air their shows in our country. That cost in turn gets deflected to us Canadians. The more channels you have the higher the charge for those rights to view those stations. Add on top your regular charge, your service fees, your HD fees, etc. It's ridiculous in this country.

I only have 1 box, and 2 TVs that were getting basic cable without the box at $10 extra on my bill. I also live in a backwater town where its more expensive to cable to your house. Still the price is outrageous even after I lowered it. My internet bill is tied in with my cable bill btw, that was $100 a month now its $60. But still it's very costly in our country which is why we download or stream a lot here.
We are talking CABLE BILLS here people......not "internet + cable". They are two different services and this article is regarding the expense of CABLE only. Please stay on track my friends.

4916.4.2012 14:37

I'm sorry everyone, but I don't see how you can have such cheap bills unless you are paying for VERY basic cable/satellite or have an intro/promo offer, such as being a new customer, where they obviously give you the world and screw over the existing customer base.

For instance, I have DirecTV, which BTW, I love. Yes, I have some perks. 4 HD boxes, HD package, DVR, HBO and Showtime. After FTC and other baloney taxes, my bill easily exceeds $140.

Now, it is my choice to pay and continue to pay for this service. I used to have Time Warner, which was one of the worst choices I had ever made and will never go back to TV that goes on the fritz, or jumps out of HD or even color! What I can't understand is how some of those posting can survive off of barebones TV. Afterall, this is Afterdawn, home of techno junkies, right? Do we not have bleeding edge home theater setups, yet we'll get by with OTA TV and streaming video? That sounds a bit off.

Personally, I can get how some are able to get by. If you're not into sports, there's one reason you wouldn't need to stick with cable/sat. Let's be honest, outside of local NFL (and sometimes not even that) NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, college, just go down the line, they're not on regular TV. DVR kills it for me too, because I can't record my OTA, unless I want to use some clunky setup or pay (extra bill) for TIVO.

Hulu isn't great either. Okay, it solves the DVR issue IF you can stay current within a few weeks of most shows. Even then, lots of content is tied to "PC only" and not mobile devices or Roku style set top boxes. (I ditched Hulu after the trial personally.)

Netflix can get you by. I personally like it and use it. But as someone said above, when you have a full household, it's much more difficult to make these decisions.

In the end, it's still your personal choice and TV is still a luxury. Oh and please don't respond with illegal solutions to obtaining these shows or movies. That's not a logical replacement plan for most of us. But I would like to hear more of what people are watching when they do cut the cord as I've always been intrigued.

5016.4.2012 16:29

It's the avid book readers that cut the cord since they hate TV anyway.

However if sports continue to get worst and hollywierd continues to put out shat for movies I could see myself cutting the cord too as I'm tired of paying for commercial TV, that is just stupid really.

I use to watch all sports my favorite being pro hockey which was by the way the first sport I gave up due to poor refereeing and changing rules. Then basketball went to shat in the 90's and now the NFL is too, with baseball coming up next. Soccer use to be good too but has gotten horrible as well. I'm only left with college hockey, NCAA64 basketball, and MLB maybe.

I've had DirecTV for over a decade now and although I still like them they have gotten worst not better and now their system is plagued by commercials in the guides, the system is slow and has gotten more mickey mouse as they have expanded over the years. Plus they continue to cost more for essentially less. I have 4 HD boxes which two are DVR's, one of which I own and still pay the leasing/service expense for even though. My monthly bill was around $170 with HD service, all movie channels, and the basic sports package but we complained and now I'm paying $135/mo. For most of the decade I've been with them it has been around $115/mo but in the last 3-4 years it has gone up quickly and since Tivo was banished the service hasn't been the same, even with the new BS they provide now in their own DVR boxes.

If there was an alternative that was better I would change but Cable totally sucks and Dish isn't a good alternative either. Besides I hate those HOOPER commercials even if the box is a good deal. LOL

Such is life, times are getting worst.

5116.4.2012 16:47

Direct TV tried stiffing my mother with an outrageous bill. We discontinued. Netflix and the internet will suffice. And we get 5 digital stations. I like a good book too. Unfortunately I'm currently hooked to the internet. Especially facebook! LOL!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Apr 2012 @ 4:49

5216.4.2012 17:04

Originally posted by SProdigy:
I'm sorry everyone, but I don't see how you can have such cheap bills unless you are paying for VERY basic cable/satellite or have an intro/promo offer, such as being a new customer, where they obviously give you the world and screw over the existing customer base.

For instance, I have DirecTV, which BTW, I love. Yes, I have some perks. 4 HD boxes, HD package, DVR, HBO and Showtime. After FTC and other baloney taxes, my bill easily exceeds $140.

Now, it is my choice to pay and continue to pay for this service. I used to have Time Warner, which was one of the worst choices I had ever made and will never go back to TV that goes on the fritz, or jumps out of HD or even color! What I can't understand is how some of those posting can survive off of barebones TV. Afterall, this is Afterdawn, home of techno junkies, right? Do we not have bleeding edge home theater setups, yet we'll get by with OTA TV and streaming video? That sounds a bit off.

Personally, I can get how some are able to get by. If you're not into sports, there's one reason you wouldn't need to stick with cable/sat. Let's be honest, outside of local NFL (and sometimes not even that) NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, college, just go down the line, they're not on regular TV. DVR kills it for me too, because I can't record my OTA, unless I want to use some clunky setup or pay (extra bill) for TIVO.

Hulu isn't great either. Okay, it solves the DVR issue IF you can stay current within a few weeks of most shows. Even then, lots of content is tied to "PC only" and not mobile devices or Roku style set top boxes. (I ditched Hulu after the trial personally.)

Netflix can get you by. I personally like it and use it. But as someone said above, when you have a full household, it's much more difficult to make these decisions.

In the end, it's still your personal choice and TV is still a luxury. Oh and please don't respond with illegal solutions to obtaining these shows or movies. That's not a logical replacement plan for most of us. But I would like to hear more of what people are watching when they do cut the cord as I've always been intrigued.
Shoot. I survive with out an antenna. Never seen a converter box. I buy dvd's or play a ps3. Thats the only time my tv is used period, and its been that way for years. I dont even spend $140 a month for gas. If a company thinks they deserve that much of my hard earned money then they have another thing coming, when I can get 3 dvd's for $4. I make smart moves. Thats why my entire house on 5 acres will be paid of in less then 5 more years. Maybe then I will get direct tv. No im not old. Im 31 and my wife is 23. For now its just not the best idea. Id rather have other things.

140*12= $1680. I paid only $200 for a our family boat and have enjoyed it for 3 years. You can do a lot with money if you know how to use it and are somewhat handy. A boat on the lake is way more fun them watching tv IMO. I dont even have a cell phone cause its not worth it. Magic Jack is $2 a month.

5317.4.2012 02:26

i spent $60 a month on internet and i spent about $30 a month on petrol (i drive a 93 corolla $30 is 3/4 of a tank or more).i live in australia and the free channels we get are sbs1,2&3,abc1,2&3 plus abc 24hour news,71,2&3,1sports,11,9,99,90,44&tv4me.I have watched pay tv and most the stuff is repeats of popular tv shows here and the sports channel if you pay an exta $10 or so a month.personally i think cable tv is a waste of money.People have problems if they think they need cable or pay tv for a good life unless your just very rich person with heaps of money and nothing to do its a waste of money.as for those of you with kids sure they can live a normal life without pay tv.

5419.4.2012 10:41
maglev1
Unverified new user

Quote:

I live in Canada too, and I will tend to agree with the previous posting...$300/month is way too high even in Canada regardless whether Bell ( my provider) is paying a royalty for US channels or not. You can always negotiate a good deal and in general they are flexible and they don't want to loose you to a competitor ( Bell and all other providers). The full HD Package is around $10/month. I have a la carte 30 + basic + HD + Movie Channel package and the listed price is $95 to $100 but since I have 3 services with them I get a discount and with some negotiation I got another 20% off. Internet Fibe ( Fibe 25, with real FO lining) would be around $65/month with another $10 off for the same reasons mentioned above. Finally with your phone you can go from $35 up to $45/month depends on what feature you have added; another discount will be also applied if you have the 3 or 4 services. I pay around $180/month for all services and I have many phone features ( that I don't really need , so my bad) and the TV is well loaded with so many channels.

Cheers

5527.4.2012 06:57

i think that i might actually have everyone beat. I use Sprint for my cell phone service provider. I pay $82.40 after taxes. My phone is an HTC EVO 4G. Granted my 4G coverage is awesome where I live. But having unlimited data is awesome. I have an antenna and pay less than $19 a month total for Netflix and Hulu. I use over about 3GBs a day too. Have for over a year. FTW!!!

5627.4.2012 13:01

Originally posted by SoulGLOW:
i think that i might actually have everyone beat. I use Sprint for my cell phone service provider. I pay $82.40 after taxes. My phone is an HTC EVO 4G. Granted my 4G coverage is awesome where I live. But having unlimited data is awesome. I have an antenna and pay less than $19 a month total for Netflix and Hulu. I use over about 3GBs a day too. Have for over a year. FTW!!!
Nope. I pay under $50. Cell phone free. Internet $45, home phone $2. I had netflix but when I moved and the internet connection speed went from 15mb to half a mb. So streaming is out of the question.

5727.4.2012 19:26

If that is true the gov is paying your way and you are subsidized. That's not the same.

5828.4.2012 01:47

The cell phone is free and thats it. I dont get cell service here but my wife gets off work around midnight and she needs something in case the car breaks down. We never use it really. They make us use it or they will shut it off. They send us reminders to do so. I make a call to my house when im on the road where I get service, and talk to the voice mail for a second or two. Thats it. No need for a cell phone. Some people are just spoiled. I live and breath just fine without one.

The home phone is Magic Jack and its $104 after tax for 5 years. Thats $1.74 a month. Has VM, CI, CW and long distance. What more would you need?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive