AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

Sharp intros 90-inch HDTV

news article released on:

The struggling Japanese TV maker has unveiled the world's biggest commercial LED TV. The 90-inch Aquos LED TV is a full four feet tall, 8 feet diagonally and 6 feet wide with a depth of 5 inches. The TV is a very hefty 141 pounds, as can be expected. Beyond its size, the TV features Sharp's own SmartCentral service, which has apps for Netflix, YouTube, Hulu Plus and other content providers. ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 31 messages.

Originally posted by mukhis:
consider the difference between DVD/DVDrip (480i, sort of) and BD/BD1080rip. is there a difference we see? the answer is yes.
You should have stopped right there, simply because the statement was overkill from from the start. 480 to 720 is more than enough to see a difference. Obviously the next step is observable.

Again, to use another anecdotal example, if you can't tell the difference between a Swisher Sweet cigar or a fine Cohiba Lancero at $20-25 then you won't care for the cheaper purchase.

It becomes AGAIN what your TRAINED eyes, ears, mind have become accustomed to. Garbage blinking eyed bullshit animation like that of the mid 70s thru the 80s that supposedly passed as entertainment was great for kids under the age of 4, but anime out of Japan with an R rating certainly maintains a healthy adult crowd with no problem.

Just because you can't immediately see, smell, sense, taste it doesn't mean the rest of the planet shares your sentiment. What is it, some 3% of the populace can't take part in the 3D movie presentations being made. Are you going to tell me that that technology is a waste & can't be reedily seen too?

AfterDawn Advertisement
I think we're comparing apples and oranges...looking at a laptop screen from not more than 2 feet away is not the same experience as looking at a big screen from 10-15 feet away.The closer you get, the imperfections will become visible.
A lot of this HD resolution mambo-jumbo means not much for a lot of Average Joes, but it does make a greater difference on paper, for people that like to play with numbers.

I bet many of the so proclaimed experts, in a blind study, would have a hard time telling the difference between 720p/1080p on an average screen size from the proper distance(If you're gonna be breathing close enough to the screen that you would fog it, sure, you'll notice the extra hair line...).
Is there a difference? Of course, the numbers are there, even a monkey would probably tell you there's a difference between 720P/1080p. Now, DOES it make difference? For the greater majority, probably not.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Jun 2012 @ 12:38
Originally posted by LordRuss:
Just because you can't immediately see, smell, sense, taste it doesn't mean the rest of the planet shares your sentiment. What is it, some 3% of the populace can't take part in the 3D movie presentations being made. Are you going to tell me that that technology is a waste & can't be reedily seen too?

and just because "you" (and some selected others) can FEEL it well, it does not necessarily imply that everybody has to feel the same way. it is a well-established fact that resolution theory works with screen size and distance from the screen. a human eye does NOT see less than ~60 micron object, you wanna argue? ok, publish your paper to prove it.

um-ah, 3D? well, i love 3D, and to the best of my belief, nobody denies that 3D works. it's just the technology that is not well accepted. yes, i repeat, it is NOT well accepted.
reasons:
# you have to buy too expensive hardware/software
# you have to wear a pair of stupid, expensive, painful glasses
# most 3Ds in the market are fake as of now
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Jun 2012 @ 12:52

ASUS G73JW | Intel Core i7-740QM, 1.73GHz | 8GB DDR3 | Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M, 1.5GB | OCZ 120GB SSD + Seagate 500GB Hybrid 7200rpm | 17.3" FHD/3D | Blu-ray Write | Win7Pro64
Originally posted by cyprusrom:
I bet many of the so proclaimed experts, in a blind study, would have a hard time telling the difference between 720p/1080p on an average screen size from the proper distance(If you're gonna be breathing close enough to the screen that you would fog it, sure, you'll notice the extra hair line...).
Is there a difference? Of course, the numbers are there, even a monkey would probably tell you there's a difference between 720P/1080p. Now, DOES it make difference? For the greater majority, probably not.

couldn't agree more. i also do agree there are differences but more often than not, we won't be surprised by that.
Originally posted by mukhis:
ok, publish your paper to prove it.
100awg Kodachrome film as apposed to 400awg echtochrome film. Simple. Kodak has done the tests for me & the frame size is virtually the EXACT plenum as that of most expert filming apparatus used in today's still & motion capture devices. Yes, I was & am a professional photographer, so let's not start splitting those hairs.

The resolution of the silver halide in the 100 Kodachrome is fine enough grain that when blown up will still maintain proper enough resolution that you can't see the particles. The 400 however, you'll start seeing it. That's why in several of the older movies you'll see a deeper 'grain' in scenes where the heros are in a cave with the torches going & nothing else but that available light.

To bury that hatchet deeper, do this with your 720 & 1080 analogy. Use it with the flames. Filmed with todays HD equipment & played back on one of the 2 HD monitors. I don't care, big or small, you'll see it in a heart beat with an untrained eye - an immediate difference.

There's your published. Started back in 1985, Japan. I saw the white papers AT the NAB 1996. Thus endith the lesson.

Originally posted by LordRuss:
Yes, I was & am a professional photographer, so let's not start splitting those hairs.

O_o got you now...the avg people don't have a photographer's eye, therefore, for most of them, resolution difference may not matter. a scientist (like me) may see lot of things but avg folks would not care.
why do you think larger HDTVs were not available at 720p? because for large screens, difference becomes apparent. now-a-days, even the small screen TVs are available with 1080p, not because at those sizes, you see difference, but because the cost difference between 720p and 1080p has become trivial.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.