AfterDawn: Tech news

Survey: iPhone owners admit to being blindly loyal to the phone

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 15 Feb 2014 10:13 User comments (34)

Survey: iPhone owners admit to being blindly loyal to the phone According to a new survey, about 1200 of 2000 iPhone users questioned said they will always switch to the latest iPhone when it is time to upgrade, admitting to blind loyalty for the Apple brand.
When those surveyed were asked why they would not consider other brands, 78 percent said they "couldn't imagine having a different type of phone now."

54 percent said they owned a previous version of the handset, and 37 percent said they bought a new one because they were familiar with the iOS interface. 28 percent said the iPhone seemed to be the best phone for them at the time of upgrade. Another 25 percent said most of their friends and family had iPhones and they wanted to keep Apple-only features like Facetime.

Breaking the iPhone down even more, 52 percent had a 5, 29 percent had a 4 or 4S, 10 percent had a 5C or 5S and 9 percent still had a 3/3GS.

Tags: Apple iPhone
Previous Next  

34 user comments

115.2.2014 10:30

Sheeple!

215.2.2014 12:12

Originally posted by hearme0:
Sheeple!
I disagree, and agree to some point. I look at this 2 ways. I like how my apple products work together. I am tired of making things work on the old ways with doing things. My least favorite was back in the day, with setting iRQ through the bios.

Would I buy another 1, maybe because I have no reason to switch, I like the way it works for me in my life.

That being said Apple, Andriod, or Windows cannot make me follow anything blind. For now I like Apple products, but I have been a strong Windows supporter in the past. I just cannot care enough for brand preference. Just like pick up trucks in America, everyone has their favorite brand, based on their own belief. I think same hold true here.

315.2.2014 12:37

its a way of doing things for most,basically i didn't really get into smart phones.i find them difficult to use and basically apps arn't practical mostly just good for time wasting or playing classic games on an tiny screen (rather play games on my 22.5inch computer moniter or 46 inch tv).

Basically its a way of doing things,on pcs i'm use to windows and if i go another pc i'd go with windows (probably windows 7) basically cause i know how to use it well.

think people would just use another apple cause they are familiar with the os and know how to use.

free upgrade on a locked in contract means free upgrade anyway.

415.2.2014 13:23

I use a Canon Camera. I've started with the old 35mm Canon TX and moved into the digital; Canon is what I've used all my life and a system I am most familiar with. I tried Nikon and Olympus, but I just couldn't get used to using it. This is the point I understand from the article.

In terms of phones, I just won't go and out pay an arm and a leg for a phone like Apple. If another phone can do the same for less and requires you to learn for yourself how the phone works, then so be it.

Knowledge is power.

516.2.2014 03:54

"Blindness" happens on both sides of the fanboy vs. hater arguments.

616.2.2014 10:11

It is either blindness or ignorance. Just look at the numbers who are keeping with Apple for facetime...google has a cross-platform alternative that works better, and those are not the only two free video call services. If you look at the hardware specs and price of an iPhone and compare to an Android, you are spending a ton of cash for a couple of apps that; by the pricing standards of the industry; should cost between $0-$5 each. Facetime is basically hangouts; a free app. Siri was free before apple bought it, even with their R&D (which even Woz admits made Siri worse) it wouldn't be worth more than $5. Apple maps is a joke; apple users complained so loud when google maps was removed that Apple had to backtrack on it. Everything else that comes on an iPhone is inferior to free offerings in their own store...offerings that are on google play too. Their OS is so similar to android that they have won lawsuits against Android makers for being so similar (in spite of the fact that 95% of the iOS gui design is copied from Windows Mobile 5). About all the differences between the Android and iOS guis are the extra features in Android (and 3rd party android guis).

The truth of why people keep buying iphones again and again? Part is the rolex factor; a rolex doesn't work as well as a timex but people know you have money to waste if you wear a rolex. The same is true of an iPhone. There are also people who assume that Rolex must make great watches since they are so expensive, and they buy blindly (this is why iPhones are not displayed next to Androids in the Verizon store; the screen size difference would be too obvious). The other part is the retail sales people. They see someone come in with an iPhone and they know they have an easy sale of an expensive device. No need to trot someone around the store showing them options, no need for the customer to think "is it worth X more for feature Y?" No need to know specific features...it doesn't even have a microSD slot. It is an iPhone...there is the "cheap" one that comes in lots of colors, the expensive one that comes in two colors, and other than memory configurations, that's it. Program it, box it up, and sell them $200 in accessories...done.

716.2.2014 12:29

Actually, I'm surprised it's only 1200/2000! And I agree with killerbug. "Convenience" for me means that I can expand the storage, change the battery, add or remove as I care to.

816.2.2014 17:07

edited by ddp

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Feb 2014 @ 11:43

916.2.2014 19:04

Originally posted by Mrguss:
edited by ddp
Wow...I'll assume you are being sarcastic.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Feb 2014 @ 11:44

1016.2.2014 19:23

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Wow...I'll assume you are being sarcastic.
Sorry...it was a "panic attack"...my apologies .lol
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Feb 2014 @ 7:33

1116.2.2014 21:11

despite the fact i'm defending apple users i don't own or use an iphone,im currently using a nokia 2960.
The reason i'm using a nokia is apart from phone calls and text messaging i don't actually use a mobile.
i did put an mp3 on it the other day using nokia suite as my ringtone,it also has a micro sd slot & mini usb slot.

1218.2.2014 11:03

CRAPPLE SHEEP!.....Right this way....lemmings!

1318.2.2014 11:45

Mrguss, post edited & don't do that again!!!

1421.2.2014 08:05

iphone/ipad/and all sorts of other apple stuff does not work so well together fact.
I sell them all. My preference? Windows Phone and Surface 2. Now there is something that really does work together and I can access my work PCs through OneDrive(skydrive) and Skype is integrated throughout. Yes, it's been a while coming together but it all works now.
No need to tie in to the expensive iTunes Or have tons of crappy apps. You simply don't need them all. Android? yes I have a Nexus 7 2013 but really only for showing it up against the beautiful Surface 2 (otherwise is useful being rooted for running some IT related mobile apps).
Even the Xbox Music is free... what a fantastic service. No need for Spotify or Facetime or What's App.
When will people wake up and smell the roses?
Apple, rotten to the core :)

1521.2.2014 11:11

@magictown

That's interesting. I was thinking if they could get it together with more power it might be promising.

Still, I do like Android too.

1621.2.2014 12:25

Originally posted by Jemborg:
@magictown

I now use the Surface 2 with Windows RT. I know that most tear it to pieces but I find it an incredible device. - When you actually take time and sit down with someone who is so dead sure that there is only iPad worth considering, they do change their mind. It just takes a little time to show them the virtues.
For instance, I demonstrate how simple it is to stream video from a PC on the network to it compared to an iPad. Slowly but surely those around me are moving over but it's hard work. It feels like I'm an unpaid MS campaigner!

1721.2.2014 14:56

Originally posted by KillerBug:
It is either blindness or ignorance. Just look at the numbers who are keeping with Apple for facetime...google has a cross-platform alternative that works better, and those are not the only two free video call services. If you look at the hardware specs and price of an iPhone and compare to an Android, you are spending a ton of cash for a couple of apps that; by the pricing standards of the industry; should cost between $0-$5 each. Facetime is basically hangouts; a free app. Siri was free before apple bought it, even with their R&D (which even Woz admits made Siri worse) it wouldn't be worth more than $5. Apple maps is a joke; apple users complained so loud when google maps was removed that Apple had to backtrack on it. Everything else that comes on an iPhone is inferior to free offerings in their own store...offerings that are on google play too. Their OS is so similar to android that they have won lawsuits against Android makers for being so similar (in spite of the fact that 95% of the iOS gui design is copied from Windows Mobile 5). About all the differences between the Android and iOS guis are the extra features in Android (and 3rd party android guis).

The truth of why people keep buying iphones again and again? Part is the rolex factor; a rolex doesn't work as well as a timex but people know you have money to waste if you wear a rolex. The same is true of an iPhone. There are also people who assume that Rolex must make great watches since they are so expensive, and they buy blindly (this is why iPhones are not displayed next to Androids in the Verizon store; the screen size difference would be too obvious). The other part is the retail sales people. They see someone come in with an iPhone and they know they have an easy sale of an expensive device. No need to trot someone around the store showing them options, no need for the customer to think "is it worth X more for feature Y?" No need to know specific features...it doesn't even have a microSD slot. It is an iPhone...there is the "cheap" one that comes in lots of colors, the expensive one that comes in two colors, and other than memory configurations, that's it. Program it, box it up, and sell them $200 in accessories...done.
Good job

1821.2.2014 21:05

Originally posted by magictown:

I now use the Surface 2 with Windows RT. I know that most tear it to pieces but I find it an incredible device. - When you actually take time and sit down with someone who is so dead sure that there is only iPad worth considering, they do change their mind. It just takes a little time to show them the virtues.
For instance, I demonstrate how simple it is to stream video from a PC on the network to it compared to an iPad. Slowly but surely those around me are moving over but it's hard work. It feels like I'm an unpaid MS campaigner!

Indeed, especially when so many schools insist that the kids get iPads.

@Killerbug , good one.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Feb 2014 @ 11:11

1922.2.2014 10:06

@Killerbug - Well done! luv your post!

@Magictown - I actually considered purchasing a Windows phone this last time, but the lack of apps that I needed/wanted at that point was appalling....I saw tons of ovulation trackers, but nothing much that I'd be able to use and/or enjoy, so that's why I went with the S4 and I couldn't be happier with it! I had to laugh the other day when one of my friends asked me if I'd be getting a new phone soon. After a quick calculation I realized that I've had it for just shy of 1 1/2 years, and not once did the thought of upgrading ever enter my mind...unlike the days that I counted until I was finally able to ditch my crApple 3G. Yes, that was many years ago, and despite the minor issues I had with the Captivate that I had before the S4 I would NEVER consider even getting a free crApple product ever again, much less paying tons of cash for the "new version" of the iPhreeze.

Finally, for my short commentary on this story: I read the same article in a digest email I got earlier this week, and coincidentally (or perhaps not) the story directly beneath it said that 1 in every 4 people does not know that the earth orbits the sun. I couldn't help but wonder (and laugh) if these 25% are part of the 75%+ iSheep out there...lol! :)

2024.2.2014 07:29

Some worthwhile comments here. You know, I presume that Afterdawn is probably read by those of a more tech savvy disposition than other forums. Their appear to be no haters being rude about each others preferred device just user experience and preferences.

It is a shame that the user experiences above are not able to be shared on other forums or news sites without getting flamed!

2124.2.2014 13:16

magictown, it can be a bit nasty here sometimes tho i do try to keep a handle on it.

2224.2.2014 20:08

Originally posted by ddp:
magictown, it can be a bit nasty here sometimes tho i do try to keep a handle on it.
It's not you keeping a handle on it, ddp. everyone here is just old and mellow. IMHO lol

2325.2.2014 02:29

Don't go putting him off now haha. It's nowhere as extreme as some other sites.

But yes, you are on the ball.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Feb 2014 @ 2:32

2425.2.2014 05:09

:)
Have received the Afterdawn news email for years and one of the very few I actually look forward to reading.

2525.2.2014 06:34

:)
Have received the Afterdawn news email for years and one of the very few I actually look forward to reading.
This'll cheer you up then Magictown:
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.c...ks_apple_update

----------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Feb 2014 @ 6:35

2625.2.2014 07:03

Yes you do ddp, and believe us when we say we really appreciate all the work you do! :) I've been an Afterdawn member for quite a while now, and like @magictown I look forward to my weekly digest email...this site is all I need to keep up to date on the latest tech news! I've had my share of negative comments to posts, but nothing like you'd get elsewhere. I'd like to take this time to apologize to anyone whom I may offend by my posts, but I consider myself a very honest person, and I treat my friends the same way...at least they always know where I stand...lol! :)

271.3.2014 17:54

I'm sure that some of it comes down to familiarity with the operating system. I also think that you can't underestimate that iPhones have basically become a status symbol.

283.3.2014 05:48

you're quite correct wheelstb, they have become a status symbol but is that changing now? I don't know about anyone else and perhaps it's just me but when I see someone with an iPhone now I sort of think that they can't be that tech savvy and probably just have because their friends have then. Admittedly, I bought one for my daughter for Christmas and she admits that it was only because everyone else in her friends group have them and she would be laughed at if she had anything else. Talk about peer pressure ha!
My son has a Lumia. He doesn't care what others at school think. He is a bit geeky (like me) when it comes to tech and does in fact garner kudos in his group for going against the grain.

293.3.2014 07:01

you're quite correct wheelstb, they have become a status symbol but is that changing now? I don't know about anyone else and perhaps it's just me but when I see someone with an iPhone now I sort of think that they can't be that tech savvy and probably just have because their friends have then. Admittedly, I bought one for my daughter for Christmas and she admits that it was only because everyone else in her friends group have them and she would be laughed at if she had anything else. Talk about peer pressure ha!
My son has a Lumia. He doesn't care what others at school think. He is a bit geeky (like me) when it comes to tech and does in fact garner kudos in his group for going against the grain.
Once again, you hit the nail squarely on the head @Magic...and Apple is capitalizing on every ounce of peer pressure and bullying, for without that their sales figures would be MUCH lower. Don't get me wrong, I feel for your daughter having to put up with that nonsense but my standard response to her would've been "If your friends jumped off a cliff, would you?" :) The pressure to feel "hip" and "now" is part of the whole iSheep thing.

Let me share an anecdote of my own: My girlfriend finally broke down and switched to an Android phone about a month ago. After using it for that period, she told me just yesterday that it is just as easy to use as her old iPhone was. Granted, she's not as tech-savvy as most of us "geeks" are, but for her purposes she's extremely happy with it. She just discovered that she can use the GPS navigation and use the speaker for phone calls simultaneously, and she thought that is an incredible tool...lol! :) The whole problem began when she went to the AT&T store 3 years ago(before we met, btw) and told them she wanted the "easiest smartphone to use". They were more than happy to push an iPhone on her, but now she sees that she made a grave error in saying that.

303.3.2014 08:11

Originally posted by sternrulez:
My girlfriend finally broke down and switched to an Android phone...
What, you bullied her into it? lol

Must admit, my brother and his partner seemed be be sold on iPhone etc. Imagine my surprise when they changed to Sammy Galaxy phablets.... and loving it!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Mar 2014 @ 8:15

313.3.2014 09:10

Must admit, my brother and his partner seemed be be sold on iPhone etc. Imagine my surprise when they changed to Sammy Galaxy phablets.... and loving it!

ha ha like it :)

323.3.2014 14:42

i can't use iphones or smartphones very well,short fat clumpsy fingers hit too many things on the screen at once,i'm not to bad with an ipad.Think you can get a pen thing to use that might work if i had to great desire to buy a smartphone (which i don't atm)

333.3.2014 20:40

Pretty sure the Sammy phablets have an eQuill

344.3.2014 07:13

NO, I did not bully her!! lol :) She had a 3GS she was holding on to with a death grip because it was "fine for what she needed", and even when she DID consider getting a new phone, she was going to get a 5C since they come in "different colors". I responded with, "Really? And I can't get you a colored case on Amazon for $5 and you can get a better phone?" lol! She finally got an S4 at Best Buy for $1...even SHE couldn't argue with that price!! :)

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive