AfterDawn: Tech news

Court orders to seizure of domains, bank accounts, more for DVD ripping software company DVDFab

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 15 Mar 2014 10:14 User comments (27)

Court orders to seizure of domains, bank accounts, more for DVD ripping software company DVDFab DVDFab, the once popular DVD ripping software company, will be completely wiped off the map by a new court ruling.
New York federal court Judge Vernon Broderick ruled in favor of the AACS-LA, a group that includes behemoths Disney, Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Warner Bros., IBM, Toshiba and Sony. AACS is the DRM used on DVDs and Blu-ray media, an encryption that has been cracked since 2006.

DVDFab, one of the more popular DVD ripping software, was sued by the AACS-LA, with accusations that it violates the DMCA's anti-circumvention clauses in relation to DVD encryption. "The DVDFab Group openly touts these illegal circumvention attributes of the DVDFab Software on the DVDFab Websites, advertising that, among other things, its software products 'remove all Blu-ray copy protections,' and 'can remove ... all known AACS copy protections'," AACS wrote in the initial complaint.

The company, which is based in China, never responded to the AACS-LA's preliminary injunction filing, so Judge Broderick was quick to grant their request. The injunction states that the domains for DVDFab.com, DVDFab.net, DVDidle.com, 3d-videoconverters.com, 3dBluRay-ripper.com, Blu-Ray-ripper.us, Blu-Ray-Software.us, BluRayripper.jp, BluRaysbs3d.com, BluRaysoft.jp, CopyBiuRay.us, DVDFab.jp, DVDFab9.com and DVDvideosoft.jp must all be shutdown and seized.

All of DVDFab's hosting providers have also stopped servicing the company, and all of DVDFab's social media pages have to be shut down. Perhaps worst for the company, several banks and payment providers have to freeze and stop processing the company's funds and accounts. This includes Paypal, Amazon, Visa, Mastercard and more.

The Chinese company does not seem to be giving up, however, with a spokesperson writing, "Existing bookmarks for either site may not work from some locations, so temporary sites for both are being prepared and will be online shortly."

Tags: DVDFab AACS-LA
Previous Next  

27 user comments

115.3.2014 16:12

This happen 5 days ago, & +10 new DVDFab websites "mirrors" come out the same day: right after.
https://torrentfreak.com/u-s-court-orde...s-funds-140310/

Update: ...Popcorn!?
https://torrentfreak.com/companies-with...lawsuit-140314/

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Mar 2014 @ 8:13

215.3.2014 17:10

the problem is dvdfab uses mostly american owned sites and services.
They start switching to chinese servers and marketing from china and get the chinese government backing them they can survive.

315.3.2014 21:48

I wonder if they will go after Slysoft AnyDVD. Does anyone have an opinion?

416.3.2014 02:35

slysoft is on an island that cant be touched

616.3.2014 11:35

Sly Soft did that a long time ago. So far as not using USD. Smart. Sign of the times, i guess.

716.3.2014 16:36

I really got to like this software. Hope they switch to user friendly countries. The Yanks think they govern the world.

816.3.2014 18:27

Originally posted by sikosrus:
Slysoft has already responded:

https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.ph...d-we-be-worried

And, they have released a website that is not a dot com one (which the US has no jurisdiction over)

http://slysoft.ag

917.3.2014 05:32
zxe
Inactive

Originally posted by sikosrus:
This happened with another DVD software program, seems they chase down any one, but as been said, one goes another one springs up

1017.3.2014 07:15

This is a damn shame! I've been using DVDFab for several years, and have been quite happy with the results. As zxe said, there are tons of alternatives available, but with varying results.

1117.3.2014 10:47

There's always Canada. Lol. www.dvdfab.cn

1217.3.2014 12:00

Bobbydrake81, *.cn is china not canada as that is *.ca

1317.3.2014 17:29

I wonder how much the pirate bay paid the judge...after all, blocking people from watching legally purchased bluray disks is an ideal way to encourage piracy.

1417.3.2014 20:02

Yeah not sure why they did not see this coming. The view the U.S. has towards piracy and peoples freedom with media is pretty much no tolerance to them it's as bad as murder if not worse. Any company that sets up shop in the U.S. that helps people decrypt there rightfully purchased media will be under fire. It's very clear what the U.S. wants with the amount of stupid lawsuits, home breaches they have done and will continue to do. They are just after cash and control and screw what the people want.

1518.3.2014 00:59

Originally posted by Mr_Bill06:
Yeah not sure why they did not see this coming. The view the U.S. has towards piracy and peoples freedom with media is pretty much no tolerance to them it's as bad as murder if not worse. Any company that sets up shop in the U.S. that helps people decrypt there rightfully purchased media will be under fire. It's very clear what the U.S. wants with the amount of stupid lawsuits, home breaches they have done and will continue to do. They are just after cash and control and screw what the people want.
i don't think usa itself cares about money thats more a thing the piracy groups want.usa just wants control of everything,they seem to ignore the fact companies and citizens are not us citizen and not living in usa and say we are usa you will do as we say,unfortunately most countries just agree and won't put up a fight for its own citizens and there rights.

1618.3.2014 03:46

Originally posted by ddp:
Bobbydrake81, *.cn is china not canada as that is *.ca
Thanx for the heads up.

1718.3.2014 04:19

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
They start switching to chinese servers and marketing from china and get the chinese government backing them they can survive.
Yeah,you are right.
That's really ridiculously to suspend or block the DVDFab's website.I also need to backup now and then. I am a user of this ripping software.I notice that the site dvdfab.cn has been used to take place of the original one.They also appeal to support and vote for DVDFab by establishing the site ilikedvdfab.com. I think we users should go to vote to protest our own right and interests.

1821.3.2014 16:51

Originally posted by albertsmiths:
Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
Yeah,you are right.
That's really ridiculously to suspend or block the DVDFab's website.I also need to backup now and then. I am a user of this ripping software.I notice that the site dvdfab.cn has been used to take place of the original one.They also appeal to support and vote for DVDFab by establishing the site ilikedvdfab.com. I think we users should go to vote to protest our own right and interests.

It isn't just about backup...if you have a CableCard tuner in your computer, about the only option for using it is Windows Media Center. If you want an grandma-friendly AIO solution to media, then you have to use a program like DVDfab to decrypt blurays on the fly. Of course, you can save a lot of money by simply canceling cable, returning the cablecard, not buying blurays, and pirating everything...and it would seem that this is what they want people to do.

1923.3.2014 09:41

Originally posted by Frogfart:
I really got to like this software. Hope they switch to user friendly countries. The Yanks think they govern the world.
You know, you're right! Let's all move to Bikini Atoll. Nothing could happen to us there.

2024.3.2014 12:21

BOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!

2126.3.2014 14:13

EFF should know all the above. IF I win the Lotto, I would
donate money to EFF to defeats Govenment's DMCA and AACS.
But the race is still on, such as one will defeats our freedom
and to rip DVDs, other will keep it alive, until the world ends.
Or until IF the NEW generation by young people who would run
for office that would make the difference to defeats the DMCA
law and AACS.

I used DVDFab NOT only ripping DVD movies, but most of the time
my own DVD RWs disc that other software wouldn't copy onto the
computer. It's one of the TV shows I recorded from TV or
satellite TV, and I couldn't back it up to edit out the
TV commercials. So, I used DVDFab to fix it by backing up
onto my computer. THEN I can use the other software to edit
out the commercials.

So, you can use Slysoft AnyDVD to rip your own DVDs if your
other software cannot back it up onto the computer.

I use DVDShrink to edit out the TV commercials.

So, support EFF or write to them to express yourself
about this up-to-date by the LIBERAL communist govnement.

IT'S OBAMA!!!

2226.3.2014 16:13

can't be liberal & communist at the same time.

2326.3.2014 16:50

Actually that's just my "Expression".

In October 1998 Clinton signed the DMCA into Law.

Bush signed to upgrade it on April 20, 2005.

So, who would defeate it in upcoming year????

Doublt it. It gonna take years to come and a long time.
And it takes NEW generation to do so.

2426.3.2014 19:55

Originally posted by ddp:
can't be liberal & communist at the same time.
NO...but you can be a member of the "liberal" democratic party...a party that copied communist party posters to help get the current president into office.

2526.3.2014 20:47

obama is no more communist then putin is the leader of the free world & putin is not the leader of the free world as proven in crimea.

2626.3.2014 21:54

Nobody likes the man in the White house.

He support Hollywood to fight against us in DVD ripping tool.
Besides, he's NOT in control of the US Govenment. The Govenment
itslef is in control. Usually the President can, but only the
executive order.

2727.3.2014 16:06

Any Government in the whole world serve the AUTONOMOUS Upper-Class . Control & repress the middle working class & pour class (+- 90%).

All Governments are worse that Scammers:
Like when 1rs. World Countries go into War with 3rd world countries: Killing their Villages, steal their natural resources & expand the Upper-Class Imperious.
Is The Middle or Pour Class benefice in any way from The Rich people Wars !?

There is not distinctions between political parties. They all are supported by the same corporations and rich people: to carried their same garbage interest agenda.

I don't want to talk about churches & religions, 'cos they "almost" in the same game (Psychologically speaking).

The Upper-Class know that the more Divided WE are (Religions, race & color, sex orientation, languages, political affiliation, etc, etc, etc.); The more easy for them to control all of us via Govt. with Over-Rich Laws or go over illegally jurisdiction Areas.
Just like the rich people "Lapdogs Cops" making laws at their will as they go or killing people & get away with Murder.
Same happen with The TOO BIG TO JAIL Criminals that NEVER go to Prison, 'cos many corporations owns the Private-Prisons now on days and the CIO's robing the peoples blind all they say is: Blame The Corporation. I call this Unpunished Corporate-Crimes.

NOTE: Wake-up from the American, German, Russian, etc, etc, etc. "Patriotic Dream" most of you live on.

Oh. I'm not "Mad" ...I'm just Awake !

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Mar 2014 @ 3:59

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive