1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spiderchip Nightmare

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by slautterb, Jun 15, 2005.

1. slautterb

slautterb Guest

Hello, I installed the spiderchip v1.0 to an XBOX v1.6
    The Enhanced Cromwell Bios appeared upon startup.
    I chose to unlock the HD thinking it would benifit me later on.
    I used the Xecuter 4389 bios to flash the chip.( because the instructions said use any bios you want)
    When the reboot process finished the XBox would not reboot.
    The XBOX would start and stop a few times then displayed
    an error screen telling me the XBOX needs service.
    Obviously I did a bad flash.
    The error code at the top left of the screen was 05 which I believe is for the HD.
    I purchased the Spiderchip Programmer, however it did not come with connection instructions, or any instructions.
    Also I believe I'll need the Enhanced Cromwell Bios to
    Reflash the chip and relock the HD.
    The trouble is I don't know where to find the Cromwell Bios, or the instructions I'll need to put everything back to
    where I started.
    Can you offer any suggestions?
    I'm thinking I should have just purchased another Spiderchip and reversed my steps.
    Can anyone help?
    The error screen remains even after uninstalling the chip.
    XBOX All JACKED UP

2. hazmat22

hazmat22 Member

From what I've learned after I used X2 v4981 on my spider chip, it doesn't work on 1.6 xbox's. I have another thread going looking for any way to fix this without buying the external programmer, since i want to avoid spending more if i can. The external programmer should do the trick on it's own for updating the bios, and the one you want to use i think is the evox m8_plus 16. as for instructions for it, try google for info if the included ones aren't good enough. where do you live? maybe i can buy your programmer off you when you are done =)

3. mdsup

mdsup Guest

Flashbios(cromwell) can be found at xecuter's site...as for the correct hacked bios to flash, you have 2 options.

1. m8 or m8plus
    2. x2_5035 v1.6 (will only work if the spiderchip allows a 512k bios)

@hazmat the only option you can try without a programmer is hotswapping the chip with another modded xbox...however, the best and simplest solution is to use a programmer...maybe next time you will do your homework and find out which bios will work with your xbox.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2005
  4. hazmat22

hazmat22 Member

Yeah, I know hotswapping is an option, but I don't feel like having to ask a friend if I can tear open their xbox too. Already ordered the progammer anyways. I was doing my homework actually, but due to the nature of this pursuit, there is a lot of outdated and contradictory information out there, so what I was reading misled me. It seems like a pretty common problem from the posts on other sites, since spider is a cheaper chip and doesn't have any extra memory banks or backup options. Live and learn.

5. jn420

jn420 Member

I bought the programmer and It doesn't come with any instructions. After a hour of connecting and reconnecting the programmer cords I got it to read the chip.

To be able to make the programmer work you need to first plugin the usb cord. Open up the SpiderChip programmer program. Then you need to restard you computer and plug in the chip. If your computer won't reconize the chip try diffrent variations of the chord set up.....

I would never suggest to anyone to buy anything from spiderchip. Their product sucks......

6. slautterb

slautterb Guest

Well I'm Stuck with it.
    The one thing I'm worried about is I unlocked the hard Drive when I had the Enhanced cromwell Bios screen.
    I'm hoping I can find that exact Bios to reflash the chip with
    in order to relock the hard drive because I think thats where the error
    screen is generated from.
    I'll try doing everything this weekend.

Thanks Dudes

If theres anyone who has anything to
    Add, please don't hesitate.

Keep rockin the Box!

7. mdsup

mdsup Guest

i told you where you can get the Cromwell(Flashbios) bios at...go to xecuter's site, and in the downloads section you will find the cromwell(flashbios).

8. slautterb

slautterb Guest

Will It Be The Enhanced Version allowing you to unlock and relock your Hard Drive?

9. williewon

williewon Guest

i can't get the programmer to recognize the chip either.
    which position does the red wire in the switch to chip harness go?

10. slautterb

slautterb Guest

Well, I've obtained the cromwell bios from the Team Xecuter site.
    The programmer is detected in the programmer software.
    The programmer software is displaying the ceomwell 2.4 Bios.
    I have connected the patch cord plug to the programmer, then to the go
    between on off switch that came with the programmer.
    I pluged the white end connector of the cord containing the male end
    for the pin header of the Spiderchip, to the other side of the on off
    switch go between board.
    Finally I pluged the male end of the cord to the Spiderchip pin header
    connector.
    The three blue lights are on.
    "The Spiderchip is not detected" is the message I get when I try the verify or write buttons of the software.
    I have tried all possible connecting configurations that I can see availible here.
    Maybe I should say a prayer over the whole mess.

11. hazmat22

hazmat22 Member

i will get my programmer on monday or tuesday i think, and after i give it a shot i will let you know how it went. That's pretty bad that it doesn't come with instructions though.

12. williewon

williewon Guest

slautterb that's exactly where i am.
    very frustrating.
    i can't find ANY instructions ANYWHERE for this thing.

13. hazmat22

hazmat22 Member

so far i've got the programmer hooked up using the on/off board in the middle, and i've tried plugging the male header connection in both ways, even though doing that made me nervous. same thing everytime, chip not detected. does the xbox with your chip need to be on during this process? also, has anyone tried the anti static shielding method they have on the website? I don't want to try it unless I have to, since it was hard enough to get all those wires in the first time, I never want to do it again. i sent an email to them today, and also to the place i bought it from, hopefully someone will bother to answer with some help.

14. slautterb

slautterb Guest

Well I don't have the chip installed at this point.
    I took it out when I got the error screen.
    I was hoping that would restore the Box to its original state.
    If I could get the Cromwell Bios back into the chip I think I can reverse my steps and straighten it all out.
    Of course all the hair like filiment wires have broken off at this
    point but I have an alternate solution for that.
    "Detect already, Damn chip"!

15. sga91

sga91 Member

Get a xenium ice chip, insatll, your done.

16. hazmat22

hazmat22 Member

helpful advice when you already own a chip you'd like to get your money's worth out of

17. Hitman122

Hitman122 Member

i need help i can not get evox on my xbox after i flashed the bios
    can someone help me !!!!!!!!

18. tyche7

tyche7 Member

The easiest way to get Evox on an Xbox if you're not experienced is to use Slayer's Evox Autoinstaller 2.6 (most recent version to date). Otherwise there are guides out there on how to install it using an Evox install CD. Either way you'll probly need to burn it on a CD-RW and boot from that CD to install it.

19. Hitman122

Hitman122 Member

i can not find it where can i find it

20. jn420

jn420 Member

I got everything to work but the vairfy part. The read of the chip took 20min and the write took 8 hours. Not to mention 2 hours just to get windows to reconize the usb programmer. I haven't put the chip back in to see if it works but I hope that this will help some of you.

What finally worked for me was plugging in the USB cord with nothing attached. Restart your computer and open the Spiderchip programmer software.

Then attach the programmer to the on/off switch and the spider chip to that switch.

Then plug it all in to the usb cord at once. All three should have blue lights on. If not something is hooked up wrong.

The program will see the programmer but not the actual spiderchip. At this time unplug the actual mod chip and plug it directly into the programmer chip(removing the on/off switch). Then you should be able to read and write to the chip(very long process).

I couldn't get verify to work and haven't tried to put the chip in to my xbox to see if it works. Hope this helps..... It took lots and lots of trial and error for me to figure this out.