1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd won't play

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by et82271, Jun 17, 2005.

1. et82271

et82271 Member

Just installed dvd burner and I am having problems playing a dvd. I'm using Nero and I also have windows media. I can't get either one of them to play a purchased dvd. I have downloaded dvddecryptor and dvd shrink to burn. Do you have to decrypt to play these dvds?? Thank you for any help you can give, Eric

2. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

what dvd player software do you have?

to play back a dvd you need the dvd codecs, these dont come free with windows so you need some additional s/w

get power dvd or something

3. et82271

et82271 Member

Thank you bablfish. I'm using NERO as my player. I will check out the program you suggested. If you have any other ideas please let me know. Thank you, Eric

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Eric,

Did you installed your dvd burner correctly? You should be able to play any original dvd easily on your dvd burner. Check the jumper cable on the back of your dvd burner, make sure it's on "Master" and your other dvd rom (<--if you have one) is on "Slave" on your "Secondary Channel". Primary should be your main HD and it should be on Master.

You said: do you have to decrypt to play these dvds? No... any dvd burner or dvd rom should be able to play any purchased dvd easily. You "decrypt" and "rip/burn" because you want to have another copy/back up of your purchased dvd only, or simply because you want your original copy to last longer that's all.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  5. et82271

et82271 Member

Thank you alkohol. I know that my dvd burner is on master but ill try checking the other. It will do everything but play a dvd. Ill check if you have any other ideas please let me know. Thank you, Eric

6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Eric,

You said it will do everything but play a dvd? This is kind of odd to me. Do you have the latest from Windows Media Player? Perhaps, you should try to "uninstall" any players that you have right now from your computer and "re-install" it again, reboot your computer and try it one more time. Have you tried to play the dvd with PowerDVD or WinDVD yet? Was there any error message when you're trying to play the dvd with Nero's Showtime or Windows Media?

What is the dvd movie that you're trying to play on your computer and what's the region code or dvd format i.e. NTSC or PAL? <---- This shouldn't really matter though because I can play any region and any NTSC/PAL dvd on my dvd burner easily.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  7. et82271

et82271 Member

Ok with windows media it gives me this Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. Open Display in Control Panel, and then lower your screen resolution and color quality settings. To view the DVD Troubleshooter, click More Information. Then I click for more info and it says C00D116A: Cannot play DVD video
    A troubleshooter is available to help you solve this problem. To troubleshoot the problem, see the DVD Troubleshooter in Windows Help.

Note

To play DVDs, you must have a DVD-ROM drive and a software or hardware DVD decoder installed on your computer. If you do not have a compatible DVD decoder installed, DVD-related commands, options, and controls do not appear in the Player and you cannot play DVDs. By default, Windows does not include a DVD decoder. For more information about DVD decoders, see the DVD Support in Windows XP Web page at the Microsoft Web site.
    Error ID = 0xC00D116A, Condition ID = 0x00000000
    Web Help

Maybe this info will help you help me. I have checked connections and master slave format. dvd is master and cd writer is slave. Thanks for what you've done so far and any further help, Eric

8. biogray

biogray Member

Your drive is visible in the system so i don't think there is a problem with master/slave connection, but you'd better check, that [bold]master[/bold] is attached to the end of the IDE cable, and [bold]slave[/bold] in the middle.
    It usually doesn’t matter but sometimes does.

The other test: disconnect that other cd-drive (slave) and leave DVD drive only as a master (on the end of the cable).

[bold]Firmware:[/bold] check the manufacture's site for any new firmware versions for your drive. It is usually an exe file which u just have to run.

U should also try to install the drive in [bold]another computer[/bold] and check it out.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member