1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial: making mp3 ringtones

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by arcanix, Jun 26, 2005.

1. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Why should you pay 3 to 4 bucks for a one ringtone?
    This is a tutorial about how to make one for free.
    For this tutorial you need audacity, lame, and razorlame (lame gui).

You can get audacity and lame here:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

And razorlame here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/24544393/razorlame115a.zip

First open the mp3 you want (I'm using green days' basket case ^_^)

Select end of the song, and delete it (shown below) (I left only 15sec but it could be more if you like)

[​IMG]

Then select about 2 last seconds of your mp3 and put a "fade out" -effect (shown below - optional)

[​IMG]

If there's too much silence in the start of the song, you should delete it too (shown below)

[​IMG]

Now export the final edition of your tone as wav. You could export it directly as mp3, but I didn't find out how to change the quality. That's why you'll have to get razorlame.

In razorlame use the settings shown below for optimal filesize and decent quality

[​IMG]

Then add your exported wav and push the encode-button -> ready ringtone!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  2. arcanix

arcanix Active member

I Hope this helps somebody ^_^

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

sure is nice of u to write that :) changed to sticky

4. neewbie

neewbie Regular member

sweet mate!

great guide! :)

5. pconyers

pconyers Member

Thanks for the info but I have a different question about this. First off, my girlfriend has the Motorola v220 phone and I am trying to give her some custom ringtones but I have a few questions. First, what file formats will this phone play as ringtones? .wav’s or .mp3’s or both? I know how to cut and make files in either .wav or .mp3 format on my computer but once I do that how do I move it over to her phone? And once on her phone where do I put in on her phone and how do I link it up so her phone recognizes the file as a ringtone?

A MILLION THANKS!!

6. arcanix

arcanix Active member

I think it plays just mp3's. There's several threads about how to transfer files to your phone, look for them. But in a nutshell; you need an usb-cable (most digicams use the cable) and a software to transfer them to your phone (mobiledit is good, or motorla's own mobile phone tools).

edit:
    Lord of typo's.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  7. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

Yup it's mp3's make sure the output is at 22.05hz, and a quick tip to take away some distortion in audacity, is to select the high pass filter to take out freq's below 100hz, so set it to 100 hz, and you will have a little louder, crisper ring tone!

8. uglyusa

uglyusa Member

I have a Motorola V551. Followed the guide and emailed the file with Outlook Express to. The file is on my phone and I can make it the default ringtone but the file type has been changed to .AMR and the bit rate has been changed to 8 kbps! Why is this happening. Sound is crummy. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  9. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Does V551 support mp3 ringtones? Bad sound quality is understandable at that bitrate. Also the maximum bitrate on amr files is 25kbps, so even that's not good.

10. uglyusa

uglyusa Member

yes it does support MP3. Thanks for the response.

11. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Sorry I couldn't help. I don't see how it's possible that your ringtone is converted to amr on the way. You sent it as mms? Maybe mms supports only amr sound, that might be it. If you have a chance to use a cable, then try it.

12. uglyusa

uglyusa Member

Ok, thanks for trying. I was able to upload the file via FunForMobile.com and it worked. It kept it's format and sounds pretty good. Just for my own knowledge would really like to know why though. I think I will get a data cable. Thanks again.

13. Brett06

Brett06 Member

Ok I need some help. I've got my .wav file of the part of the song I want as my ringtone from Audacity and I've tried using Razorlame to convert the quality of it to fit on my phone (V551), but when I press encode it says "blah blah...LAME.exe" couldn't be found. Please specify in the following options dialog the correct location of LAME." Well as far as I know, that is where LAME is but the computer says different. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? And to get the ringtone from my computer to my phone do I have to buy the USB cable, or is there another way I can?

14. V13T

V13T Member

Is there any way that you can set the rate of the vibrate to sync with the ringone? Like to have the vibrate shake to the beat of the song? It doesnt have to be that precise, Im just mainly looking for it to vibrate and ring at the same time, its for a V188 if that matters.

15. arcanix

arcanix Active member

V188 does only have pre-defined vibration patterns (sounds like I'm pro 'eh :p) so you can't modify them.

16. Piro-man

Piro-man Member

hello I have a motorola v180 I have USB cable... i have a driver (i don`t know if is good ) but I don`t have program to transfer pics, mp3,phlofonic music from calculator to phone.. so sameone PLS tell me a site whitout money from were i can take a GOOD driver and A PROGRAM to transfer mp3 from PC to Phone .... PPPLLLSSS .. Send me a short mail on No Posting Email Addresses or let me a offline message on my Yahoo messeger my ID : No Posting IM Nicks Either

SO i need a driver for Motorola V180 and a program to transfer music from pc to phone

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  17. rolls1400

rolls1400 Member

hi i cant fing the lame_enc.dll file everywhere i download it and get ready to unzip it says the file is corrupt or empty

18. rolls1400

rolls1400 Member

also the file has something in it because when i mouse over it it says file size 581 kb but when i extract it it says no files to extract..... anyone?

19. rolls1400

rolls1400 Member

does anyone know of any freeware to cut down mp3s for ringtones?

20. fantom

fantom Member

Made my own truetone file and tried to email it to my phone which worked but my motorola e815 would not assign that mp3 true tone file to any of my ringer id's. Guy at Verizon said u have to buy the tones. I emailed myself midi files with no problems. anyway around this?