1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

write error

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mech27, Jul 2, 2005.

1. mech27

mech27 Member

I'm new at this so any help is appreciated. I burned a dozen dvd's with no problem. Now all i get is A Write Error has occured,probably caused by a bad media. I'm using Ridata 8x DVD-R.My dvd writer is an HP DVD WRITER 640c. I'm burning at 1x.what should i be looking for.

2. mech27

mech27 Member

I forgot to mention it will start burning sometimes up to 90% and then it freezes and gives me the error.I'm getting a lot of coasters!!!!

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

what are you trying to burn and what programs are you burning with? do you have any error logs to post?

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

multiposting is frowned upon , just keep your answers to this one and i'll get a mod to close the other

andmerr

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

6. mech27

mech27 Member

I'm trying to burn dvd's copy to copy. I don't understand why it would stop working for no apparent reason.I'm using the same discs.
    Is it clone dvd that might be the problem?

7. mech27

mech27 Member

I forgot to write down the error code. Write DVD 10 11 W2

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Listen to me young grasshopper (mech27 that means you!) ....... Ridata disks are second class disks.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    check it out here!
    Then get yourself to the store or online and buy Verbatum or Taiyo Yuden disks! You can't go wrong that way! Then burn again and see if you get the same error message!

[bold]RULE OF THUMB[/bold]: if you can rip the movie to the hard drive you can burn it (PROVIDING YOU HAVE GOOD MEDIA)!
    If you are getting error messages in the writing phase of your copy proccess then you have bad media! Just because you used these disks before doesn't mean that the rest or some of the other disks in the bunch are just as good..... they can be the worst of the bunch! Thus the error messages!

now you say it might be CloneDVD..... well that program writes to a temp folder on your hard drive and then writes from there to your burner! As I understand it, from what you are saying, you have a problem as it writes the disk...... and all of a sudden it freezes and gives you error messages... thus a coaster is made! ok.... Listen..... IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE BAD MEDIA.... IF YOU TRY NEW MEDIA OUT GET THE GOOD ONES....... VERBATUM OR TAIYO YUDEN DISKS...... YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, then!

And here is another thing to think about.....do you have up-to-date firmware for your burner? Is it new? you should check that out too! That could be a problem too. But, again, from what you said,
    that's what makes me believe that you have bad media .... cause you burned successfully before! Hell, even Memorex can burn ok.... are they great media..... NO...... YOU WILL GET COASTER OUT OF A CAKE FULL!!!!!! So try it.... you'll like it!

Another thing.... if you are making a copy of a copy..... use something like Nero to do that. or CopytoDVD. CloneDVD is good but those are better. Did you try to do a copy direct to disk? if that's the case then you could have error messages from reading the copied disk and therefore it can't copy it to the new disk!? Which is it man!! there are too many variables....

9. mech27

mech27 Member

Thanks for the advise! I appreciate all the help. I will take your advise and try different discs.I will post my results. Thanks again!!

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Does this mean you are copying from one DVD ROM drive to the other (on the fly)?
    If that is true I would tend to belive your problem is not really a media issue. Ritek's arent the best disks in the world IMO, but they surely arent the worst either and to say your burner just wont write to them at all is pretty absured. Bad media can be a problem but not usually a can't write to the disk at all problem. It would help a lot if you could post a log. If your burning on the fly then you better not have nothing else running while doing it. Also check to make sure your drives are set to DMA mode and all the firmware is up to date. I wouldn't recommend you burn on the fly anyway you really don't save much time doing it that way and it is much safer and you will always get better results by copying an image to the hard drive first it only adds a few more minutes to the whole process anyway.

Cheers

11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

BB........ that's what I was saying in my reply just above mech's answer! LOL
    but we said the same thing in a different way! you went further to add, rip to HD first!
    and I always repeat this:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I know I was just trying to drive the point home LOL :)

No problem's :)

I just dont believe going out and buying new media is going to solve his/her problems is all :)

13. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

it's just a good start..... media is half the problem.... the other half is hardware...... then how to use the software.....but you start with good media and go from there, eliminating that and moving on to another!

so what do you think is the prob???

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

To hard to tell not enough info really it could be a whole bunch of s#$% but you are right quality media is always a good thing. On the other hand poor media will still burn it just plays like crap if at all. Mech27's problem is it won't burn at all and it is media he/she has burned to before with no problems so I highly doubt it is the media and Ritek isn't that bad heck if you ask some people here they swear by them. A log file would really help a lot but here are some possibilities
    IDE cable went bad or lose
    DMA is off and stuck in PIO mode (which it more than likely is with the errors)
    Firmware may need upadated
    Drive could be the problem (dirty lens or just plain had it)
    To many proggys suking up resources during the process
    Configuration of the drives (master/slave primary/secondary)
    ASPI Layer (is it installed) (Correctly)?
    I could keep on going but I think you get my point ;-)

PS It could be very possible he/she got a bad batch of media? The only way to be sure is to try a dirrerent brand and see..

15. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you're absolutely right about all that can go wrong.......and Mech has yet to inform us on his actuall error messages and logs for us to give him an exact answer! but if he/she said:
    how can all-of-a-sudden:
    when he was having success before! It's weird ...... or it can be just as simple as a bad batch of media..... and I'm not saying the Ridata sucks..... they are disks..... they burn.... just not the greatest of quality when you can get TYs or Verbatums at same prices! why not get the best and see!!! hey even I used Memorex when I was newbie at burning but aD showed me the light of my EVIL WAYS! I just didn't know any better when I was learning to burn. now with hundreds of burns and MANY COASTERS OF EXPERIENCE with Memorex I know better! it's just a way to start.

16. mech27

mech27 Member

I tried different discs with no success. I also tried saving to hd first with no success. How can i find out if my burner has up to date firmware? Sorry about all the questions i'm not very good with computers.Thanks again for the help.

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Were you able to save it to the hard drive at all? Is this only with one movie or several?

18. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

BB you got this one!

19. mech27

mech27 Member

Yes i was able to save to hd. All movies i try start writing and freeze. It seems like anydvd goes to sleep.

20. IHoe

IHoe Senior member