1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial: How to flash your Spider & DuoX 2 modchip

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by PimpDawg, Jul 9, 2005.

1. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

I have been seeing many posts lately (on this forum and others) about people not knowing how to flash their Spider and DuoX 2 modchips. Many flash their chips w/ the wrong bios, and therefore ruin it. So I am going to post a tutorial on how to effectively flash your Spider & DuoX 2 modchips!

[bold]Spider[/bold]
    [​IMG]

First of all, if you are having problems getting the Spider chip to work correctly after it is installed, check out the "Squeeze Method" here: http://hackdabox.eternalnoob.net/spiderchip_squeeze.html

Even though the Spider chip is a "Solderless chip" the best and most reliable way to install it is to solder it. I know that sounds difficult, but it is really not to bad. Many times going the solderless way will prevent problems when starting up your Xbox, because there is a connection that is not solid.

[bold]Choosing the correct bios[/bold]

If you have an Xbox Ver 1.0 - Ver 1.5 Use the X2 4981.06 bios (256k)
    If you have an Xbox Ver 1.6 - Ver 1.6b Use the Evox M8 Plus V16 (256k)
    Find these bios's on #xbins

Here is a guide on how to put your bios on a disc, http://www.teamxecuter.com/flashbios/cd.htm

Here is a guide on how to flash your chip using the disc,
    http://www.teamxecuter.com/flashbios/disc.htm

[bold]NOTE:[/bold] If you did already happen to flash your chip w/ the wrong bios, then you can get the Spiderchip Reflash Cd off of #xbins.

[bold]DuoX 2[/bold]

There are three different kinds of DuoX 2 modchips

[bold]1) DuoX 2 Lite[/bold]
    [​IMG]

The DuoX 2 Lite modchip usually comes pre-flashed with the Evox M8 Plus V1.6 bios which is designed for V1.6 xbox's only. If you have an earlier Xbox version, you should probably flash it with a more compatible bios for your Xbox. If you do not, your Xbox could break down on you later down the road. You can use the Spiderchip Reflash Cd that can be found on #xbins to reflash the chip.

[bold]2) DuoX 2[/bold]
    [​IMG]

There are two 512k banks:

Ver 1.0 to Ver 1.5 on bank 0 (switch to left side)
    Ver 1.6 & Ver 1.6b on bank 1 (switch to right side)

The DuoX 2 modchips come pre-flashed with X2 4981 on bank 0 and Evox M8 V16 on bank 1.

[bold]3) DuoX 2 Cromwell/Flashbios Edidtion[/bold]
    [​IMG]

There are two 512 banks:

Cromwell on bank 0 (switch to left side)

Flashbios on bank 1 (switch to right side)

[bold]Using Flashbios[/bold]

If you have an Xbox Ver 1.0 to Ver 1.5 - Use the X2 4981.06 or Evox M8 Plus
    If you have an Xbox Ver 1.6 - Ver 1.6b - Use the X2 5035 or Evox M8 Plus V16
    Find these bios's on #xbins

Here is a guide on how to put your bios on a disc, http://www.teamxecuter.com/flashbios/cd.htm

Here is a guide on how to flash your chip using the disc,
    http://www.teamxecuter.com/flashbios/disc.htm

[bold]Note:[/bold] If your controller does not seem to work in the Flashbios, then you should remove all memory cards and use an official Microsoft controller that is plugged into port 1. If it still doesn't work use the Microsoft DVD remote control and manuver around.

[bold]Using Cromwell[/bold]

To flash your chip using this bios you will need the bios disc you made earlier and the Eurasia Pro Generic Flash Disc 1.22. Download Eurasia off of #xbins and burn the ISO either to a CD-RW or a DVD-R using the newest version of Nero.

Make sure to flick the switch to the left before going on.

Insert the Eurasia Pro Generic Flash Disc 1.2 at the cromwell screen. It will then flash the chip.

If you are unsure about something above, feel free to ask me. If you need help accessing xbins, follow this tutorial, http://webpages.charter.net/modchipzone/xbinshowto.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2005
  2. slautterb

slautterb Guest

Hello, as you may have read on the spiderchip nightmare thread I did a wrong bios flash I am trying to reflash the spiderchip with the
    Enhanced bios or something similar because I unlocked the hard drive
    thinking it would be benificial later.
    After the flash I got the MS error screen code 05.
    In your tutorial you say I can get the Spiderchip Reflash Cd, at
    #xbins.
    I'm not familar with this term.
    Is it a web site?
    I did a google search and didn't find anything directly related to the
    Spiderchip Reflash Cd.
    Could you specify exactly where I could get this Spiderchip Reflash Cd?

Regards

3. CatNip

CatNip Member

I have a xbox 1.0, and a spider chip 1.1, i can't get it to flash the bios? I get this now [​IMG] so i did the cd bios and now i get this [​IMG] so the cd bios i made worked but now what? i get the same thing now but different screen.

4. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2005
  5. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

CatNip, in Flashbios 3.3, go to the "Load Bios from disc" option. Now, on a QUALITY DVD-R (such as Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, Maxell, Fuji, Verbatim, Sony etc. etc.) burn the correct bios (the X2 4981.06 bios) to the disc. Make sure to make a 100MB dummy file. Actually, just follow this guide here, http://www.teamxecuter.com/flashbios/disc.htm

If you still cannot flash the chip, and you are using quality media, then you may want to get somebody else's Xbox DVD drive that can read DVD-R's, and put that in your Xbox.

[bold]Do Not attempt to do this unless it is your last option![/bold]
    If that still doesn't work, you could do a HD flash. If you have a friends chipped Xbox, unlock your hard drive using the spiderchip menu. Now remove your hard drive and put it in your friends Xbox and copy the BIOS you want to flash into the C:/BIOS folder. Then put your hard drive back in your xbox and lock it again and then choose Load BIOS from Hard Drive and flash it.

6. slautterb

slautterb Guest

Hmmm, Not quite sure it looks like you used an Xecuter bios from the heading.
    Which bios, I used the 4983 with a 1.6 version because the instructions
    on the spiderChip website said use the bios of your choice.
    Now the XBOX is unuseable.
    It looks like you can still reflash the chip from what I see.
    Try a different bios and make another CD.
    The Xecuter 4983 Bios works great with the Xecuter 2.0 Lite Plus Chip, and a 1.0 XBOX.
    Thought I try Id try spidy for the soderless benifit on the 1.6 v Xbox.
    big mistake.
    4983 might be ok for the 1.0 v XBOX, using the spiderChip.
    I'm certainly no Expert.
    Don't try the unlock HD option.

7. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

You can't just use any bios, you need a 256k that is COMPATIBLE w/ your chip. Just because it is an X2 bios, it doesn't mean it will not work w/ the chip. Just use the bios I listed above, as that is what everybody and their mom use on Xbox-Scene. If you want to use something else, I'll get some of those geeks over here to yell at you :)

The X2 bios is the only known bios to work 100% of the time w/ ver 1.0-1.5 Xbox's. So CatNip, if you want it to work for sure, use the X2 4981.06 bios. If you do what slautterb said, you will be disagreeing w/ the whole Xbox-Scene community on what bios to use.

8. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Here is a website to look at for a reference to my tutorial, http://hackdabox.eternalnoob.net/

The guy who made this site is probably one of the smartest guys on the Xbox-Scene forums. So disagreeing w/ me means your disagreeing w/ him.

9. slautterb

slautterb Guest

Hello Pimpdawg, my last reply was without knowledge that you replied
    to catnips problem, I didn't see you reply.
    By all means, if 4981.06 is the bios your saying to use then I'll agree.
    My problem started when I tried it with a 1.6v box.
    So as I said, I'm no expert.
    Just exchanging my experiences.
    Sorry, didn't mean to misguide.

10. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Sorry slautterb! I just read your post and it seemed to me like you were telling CatNip that is was ok to flash his/her chip w/ a different bios than listed above.

Anyways, did you find the reflash cd?

11. CatNip

CatNip Member

I try making another cd-rw and a dvd-r,with the bios 4981.06_256k and EvoX M8.bin but they won't load anymore? like i said before i did the cd-rw and it work, thats how i got the blue screen now, but i try to do the same but with the 4981.06 bios and nothing? i did it with both cd-rw and dvd-r, i get a messege " No Bios Update Found... Halting! " ? now i'm stuck there, anything else i can do? or maybe something wrong? cause the first cd-rw i made with the bios work?

12. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

hmmm, I'll have to think about this one for a little bit. But while I try and figure out your problem, did you follow this guide exactly when putting your X2 4981.06 bios onto a DVD disc?

http://www.teamxecuter.com/flashbios/dvd.htm

13. CatNip

CatNip Member

yeah i did, might be the dvd disc? i need to buy some any ways, what cd or dvd? is good for the xbox? do i need dvdr, dvdrw or cdr, cdrw? thanks for the help

14. slautterb

slautterb Guest

Yes, Pimpdawg, I did get the spiderchip reflash cd file from Mirc.
    With much trial and error and determination, and with out your tutorial I'd be lost, it worked.
    My problem was I kept connecting to the wrong servers, then I used the server from the header of your screen shot.
    Its awsome, I only wish it didn't disconnect every time I download a file.
    I couldn't use the drag and drop feature in Flash but by right clicking and viewing the file I was able to extract to a specified
    folder.(about 54MB)
    I burned the iso image to a fuji DVD-R, however if I open the file
    from the disc there's nothing to view.
    I don't know if this is normal with this type of file.
    Anyway I'm not sure where to go at this point, I have a SC programmer
    but I can't get it to detect the chip.

Thus far I just want to say thank you for
    help, keep it comming.

regards.

15. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

CatNip, just get some Verbatim, TDK, Sony or Maxell dvd-r's. Make sure to follow everything in the tutorial in the post above, and use the correct bios. Also, did you actually flash your chip w/ flashbios?

slautterb, Sorry but I am not familiar w/ the programmer, seeing as I have never had to reflash a spider chip before. But don't worry, you can still get help, but none further from me at the moment. I would ask that same question here http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showforum=3 in the Xbox-Scene forums. A guy named HackDaXbox from that forum will most likely be able to help you out w/ the programmer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2005
  16. CatNip

CatNip Member

i'm pretty sure it was the FlashBIOS v3.03, then i got the blue screen from the black, and it was loading, but then nothing?

17. spiffyman

spiffyman Member

could you tell how to get the programmer to work please.

SPIFF

18. CatNip

CatNip Member

spiffyman (Newbie) 19. July 2005 @ 19:24
    could you tell how to get the programmer to work please.

SPIFF

Give me your email and i'll send you a guide on how to set it up and get it working to reflash your bios, but to do that it takes about 9 and up, i know that suck but it works, you can get it set up in five minutes but to flash it take so long, why? i have no idea

19. spiffyman

spiffyman Member

Well my Email Is spiffydudex@gmail.com and THANK YOU ALOT THANK YOU

20. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

CatNip...

Since this thread is a tutorial, could you possibly write one on how to reflash your bios for the spider chip and post it in here?

I would greatly appreciate it :)