1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White overlay or white boxes while playing video

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Gibbs, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

I've never had it happen before but for some reason all my videos have like a white layer and sometimes just white boxes. I've reinstalled all my codecs , tried VLC and WMP and still it doesn't seem to get rid of it. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Demonized

Demonized Member

I have the exact same problem. Ive done just about everything i can think of to try and fix the issue. I even totally reinstalled XP Pro (been meaning to for a while so i had a good excuse) My setup

P4c800E-Deluxe Mobo
    P4 2.4c @ 3.2
    Nvidia Geforce 6800
    Dual 80gig SATA drives in RAID 0
    Two other data drives
    Creative Audigy 2ZS
    Dual SyncMaster Monitors
    Razer Diamondback mouse
    5.1 Logitech speakers
    Liteon 16x DVD Burner
    NoName 8x DVD Burner
    Windows XP Pro SP2 Fully updated

The problem is a first for me and pretty interesting. Whenever i go to play any media file like a movie or dvd etc, there is a white...like filter or overlay. As if the contrast was severly off. The wierd part is that if i load up a different movie to a different player while the other is still running the "Whited" one it works fine. So the files aren't currupt, The players aren't either. I have replaced every codec in the book, did a reinstall of XP and it came back up (i did not however play the movie files before i added software and updates unfortunately) If anyone could shine any lite on this situation it would be very much appreciated

Thanks
    Demonized

3. Aerethorn

Aerethorn Member

I'm having exact the same issue demonized, and thanks to your idea i noticed that yes, opening a video file to white it, then open any dvd/file in another player gets rid of the "mask" crap that is making me pull out my hair.

Asus P4G8XE Deluxe
    P4 2.4c @ 2.8
    1GBRAM DDR 333
    Dual 160 GB SATA
    DVD-/+RW LB GSA-4163B (updated to latest firmware)
    GeForce FX 5600 256MB AGP8X

Please any light on this dark hall would be really apreciated.

4. Demonized

Demonized Member

Though i dont know if this has anything to do with it or not, but what version of NVIDA drivers are you using. I have the latest 77.72, though I do not believe this is the issue, because it would not make sense that having two different movies, one being a "decoy", would make the second work. It appears to me as though it should be a codec problem but i just cannot figure this one out, I had a full set of hair before this crap, i dont have much hair to pull on at this point ;-).

5. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

I found out how to fix it...

Go into you Nvidia control panel and play around with your gamma/brightness. Works like a charm.

6. Demonized

Demonized Member

Thank God, lol i would was leaning toward the Nvidia drivers because i just could not imagine anything else, for a more detailed discription for what is needed (using 77.72 Drivers)

Right click the desktop ->
    properties ->
    Settings ->
    Advanced ->
    Geforce "" ->
    Color Correction ->

there is an option called "Apply color changes to:"
    then a drop down menu, select -> overlay from the drop down menu. Then there is an option to either do standard or advanced (another drop down menu near the bottom), select advanced and it will set you to zero correction so that you can start from zero. Once you see a straight line from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner, leave it alone, press apply and there should be no overlay from that point on.

It helps to have a video playing while you correct it as it does realtime changes.

Let me know if this fixes your problem as well.

7. Aerethorn

Aerethorn Member

Demonized, god bless you lol, it fixed my issue too.

it seems that the defaults for the 77.72 drivers are kinda crazy on the overlay palete.

Regards