1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning copy protected dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bcakt6, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beltline

beltline Regular member

Wow, exactly what did I say to get scolded so abruptly from you guys? I clearly stated in the beginning I was a newbie and asking questions. I noticed from reading the threads that you frequently wanted to know what media the person was using. So I figured I would put it into my post to save time. I clearly stated I was embarrased of the media I was using. I clearly stated it was a cheap off brand. So you all choose to blast me with insults. Sorry I didn't buy the recommended brand, but how was I to know. I purchased these a month ago and just found your site 3 days ago.

My question on the software I believe was legit. I left the same disc in the wirter and tried dvdshrink and had no problem. The software I was using wouldn't even try to write. If it won't even try to write, a newbie is going to think it's the software. Especially if you put another movie in and it has no problems. I've read where Nero won't do some, but dvddecryptor would. So I tried DVDSHRINK and it had no problems. However I burned it with Nero and it wouldn't play on my DVD, but would play on my pc. I switched from burning with Nero to burning with dvddecryptor last night, and it worked fine.

Yes I now know I bought the wrong DVD-R's. You'll probably yell at me next for buying DVD-R's and not DVD+R's. So I'll save you the trouble.

[/bold]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  2. Shaddy

Shaddy Member

Thank you for the uncrossing of wires, BigO! You are right - media won't affect speed. Your recommended combination of Decrypter/Recode is as fast as when I first started burning using Pete's suggestion of Decrypter/Shrink - about 30-40 minutes. Now it's 4-5 hours and several error messages which I just click Cancel on and strangely the results are fine.

To the other Canucks who suggested sources of media, thanks.

I just wish, though, that I can produce a usable disc with the faster combo of Decrypter/Recode.

In fact, I made yet another coaster just now using Recode. This time, the progress log contained the entry: "Power calibration error", and at the end of the process, "Burn process failed at 2.4x (3,324 KB/s)"

I cannot download dvd_identifier because the process freezes at around 33%. Look, call me stupid and you could be right but I REALLY do not think that I have bad media. If I did, I would never have been able to make a single good copy, and I have about 10.

Now, BigO, let's do this systematically. Tell me where I went wrong . . .

Decrypter:
    Mode - File
    Settings - (File Mode tab) On Startup Select Files All; Stream Processing Search 50,000 Sectors; File Splitting By File; Check marks next to Remove the following - IFO/BUP RC Protection and IFO/BUP RCE Protection, Patch M2V Timecode. (Just so you know, I did not change anything, so these must be defaults).

Recode:
    I select Recode an entire DVD to DVD when it launches.
    Check mark against "Fit to target: DVD 5 [4.7 GB]"
    Then I click Import DVD, browse to the folder where Decrypter put the hundred-and-one files and click OK.
    Twenty minutes later I've made another coaster.

Can we use expletives in this forum?

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Shaddy,

Nothing at all wrong with Sony Brand media - it will burn up a storm :)

Go get'em good guy, go get'em :)

Cheers,

Pete

4. freyjaque

freyjaque Guest

Another newbie here...now that I've read all the posts, I feel confident that I could possibly attempt to burn a dvd. But first, I need to buy a dvd burner, right? :)
    I would really appreciate any recommendations!
    My computer stats (not sure what info you need):
    Dell Dimention DIM4400
    Intel[R]
    Pentium[R] 4 CPU 1.80GHz
    1.79GHz, 256 MB of RAM
    Windows XP

thx

5. Pattykmn

Pattykmn Member

Hi there guys -- sorry it took so long to reply; I've been at work all day (still am!)
    but thanks for all the info on the Fugi media, and especially the link (.39 a piece I can live with!)

Now just so I don't make an assumption, but may I assume that these quality disks will have a good chance at playing in other people's players? Say, the "pioneer certified" ones?(aside from the whole +/- issue, I mean just in general).

Thanks!

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi freyjaque,welcome to aD,

If I were in your position I'd buy a Dual-layered burner, NEC, Pioneer, Plextor - all should be good. Priced at or cheaper than some other drives, they are backwards compatiable so that they'll burn rye bread if you need it (Lol)

When the Dual-layered discs come down in price, you can then use them to burn a perfect 1:1 copy of any DVD :)

Cheers, and Good Luck -

Pete

Pattykmn,

Use this tool to tell -
    Generally a disc with an unknown dye type shouldn't be trusted - as per my posts, Mitsubishi is excellent -

You'll be an expert in no time :)
    http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

7. brobear

brobear Guest

ScubaPete
    Nice of you to clarify things and come off the peacemaker, especially when you start the crap. No one was speaking to you and you have a pattern of trying to harass me because of past disagreements. I'm getting a bit tired of it. Your being an addict gives you no right to act the way you do. I said very little about what you said and only clarified the manufacturer situation with Imation. In fact I paid you a compliment and you come back with your belittling actions. Don't try to play nice when you've acted like a prick.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Shaddy,
    Without going back through your whole situation, have you completely deleted the Nero program, run your clean up and reg cleaner and done a fresh install after rebooting. Nero after a lot of work sometimes becomes corrupted. I had the same problem and the clean install of Nero took care of the problem. Excuse me if I covered something that's already been done.

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Jesus H. Christ, what the hell is this crap!?!

Who cares who started it? An apology is an apology for crying out loud. Accept it and move on.

There are people trying to get some help and they don't need to sift through a goddam argument to get it.

THREAD CLOSED!

For all you folks still needing help feel free to start another thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.