1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i close GOP in Canopus Precoder 2

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by TonyDo, Jul 13, 2005.

1. TonyDo

TonyDo Member

I want to close GOP because in DVD-Lab Pro, i always get a messege about how i should close GOP, blah blah blah. I know how to close GOP in Tmpeng, but i am not a big fan of that program. So once again, how do i close GOP in Canopus Precoder 2?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I think You Click the "Closed GOP" button in the Advanced settings....

I get this message also but I just Ignore it because you can expect slightle better encodeing Quality with an Open GOP....

I have never Noticed any negitive effects from useing an Open GOP accept for that stupid error message....

Cheers

3. TonyDo

TonyDo Member

wow thanks for the quick reply, but i tihnk i have encountered a problem with the GOP being open, when i authored a dvd with a scene selection, each scene only played for about 2 or 3 minutes, then freezes. If i choose the option of playing the movie as a whole from the beginning, its fine. Im not sure if this is because of the GOP, but those GOP errors are really annoying, so i just want to get rid of them. But thanks for the advice. One more thing, heres the description that Canopus says about closing the GOP:

In a closed GOP, the last frames of a GOP aren't able to reference the first frame of the next GOP. This reduces compression effciency, so normally shouldn't be used. However, closed GOP is required for multi-angle DVD content, and for Video CD.

I found that interesting, and can someone make that a little clearer for me.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Message basicly says that a closed GOP is only needed for Multi-Angle DVD"s (Which you aren"t makeing) and it also says that a Closed GOP is Less efficient so it will not produce as good of Quality as an Open GOP....

It is actually only this very latest version of DVDLab Pro that Complains about the Open GOP as the earlier versions didn"t give any Problems with an open GOP and a Closed GOP is only Needed for Muiti-Angle DVD"s so it should Cause any problems with a Standard DVD.....

Cheers

5. TonyDo

TonyDo Member

Well, would you happen to know why my scenes freeze after about 3 or 4 minutes after playing?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

I wouldn"t have a Clue But I don"t think it is from haveing an Open GOP because the only adverse effect of haveing a Open GOP is that Chapter Navigation might not be as accurate but That should only effect Finding the Chapters but should not cause them to Freeze after 3 or 4 minutes.....

The only way to really know if that is causeing the Problem is if you Try encodeing with a Closed GOP and see if the Problem stops...

Good Luck

7. TonyDo

TonyDo Member

Thanks, ill try different think to see if i can solve this little problem of mine, and ill let you know just incase somewhere down the line another person may have this problem.

8. gr|mmy

gr|mmy Member

Hey guys i got the same problem as the 1st guy did. only problem is that i cant leave it open with DVD Lab Pro becasue it runs out of memory when compiling the mpv's.

bascially i got about 30 little movies totaling 1.7gb i want to put on dvd but it says GOP size is over 2,800,000 and then it just stops.

i have looked everywhere for this advanced settings area where is says "closed gop" but i cant find it, can someoen tell me where it is please??

thanks
    mark

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Closed GOP setting in procoder is in the "Video Basic" settings right under the "Quality/Speed" setting......Cheers