1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 questions re: Wavpack lossless codec & EAC

Discussion in 'Audio' started by RussReef, Jul 16, 2005.

1. RussReef

RussReef Guest

So, I've been lurking around www.hydrogenaudio.org, but I'm yet to find the answer to my questions... and for some reason, even though I'm registered there, I'm disallowed from posting a question in the lossless audio forum (Do I need to donate $$ first or something?? I don't understand. Mind you, I'm entirely happy to do so... It's just unclear what I need to do in order to post and ask questions there.)

Anyway, over the past 2-3 weeks, I'ved wrestled with picking a lossless codec (FLAC vs. Wavpack) to back-up my CD collection... Bryant's done such great work, I've decided to go with Wavepack.

Q1: Is this a mistake? Or is FLAC really better in some way I can't figure out. Talk to me about Monkey Audio too... Although, personally I think FLAC and Wavpack have more promise.

Q2: Is there AN EASY WAY to embed a CUE sheet automatically with EAC using wavpack as an external encoder (perhaps within the command line... I've tried a bunch of times and can't get it to work)? I've had only limited sucess using the CUESHEET switch if I scan the WHOLE disc in at one time... I don't like to do this, since I can't see if the checksums of individually scanned tracks match up... Also, Foobar misreads track #'s and song titles (every song is taged as "Track 1" and given the first track's name... even if it's really the 11 or 12 track). If someone knows of a straight-forward way to scan/embed CUE Sheets, please give me very direct STEP-BY-STEP instructions. I hate to have to resort to a batch file. Or, having to manually edit tags with Foobar or some front-end application. At present my EAC command line is:
    -hx2m -w "Track=%n" -w "Title=%t" -w "Artist=%a" -w "Album=%g" -w "Date=%y" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2" %s %d

Q3: Do you have a better EAC/Wavpack command line for me? If yes, please provide it and tell me why you think it's better.... even if it's just a minor improvement... before I encode +800 albums.

Q4: Is having an embedded cue sheet REALLY worth it? Or, is it not worth worrying about?? Maybe if I just keep a copy of the cue sheet in the same "D:\Artist(Year)Album" directory that will be sufficent
    if I ever need to recreate.
    Note: In EAC, I always "F4/Dectect Gaps" and "Action--> Create CUE Sheet --> Multiple wav files with gaps (non-compliant)" as soon as I put my CD in... then I "Ctrl-A (select All) --> right-click --> test and copy selected tracks --> compress"

Q5: On a seperate topic, is there anyway to Regainplay my albums without going Foobar-->Playlist-->Add directory... then selecting all tracks... then right-click Regainplay --> Scan selection as album.

Sorry for all the questions... I may know a bit about DVD, but I'm clueless when it comes to lossless audio despite the research I've down to date. Maybe our local AD audiophile can help me out!?! :)

It just seems to me that all this should be easier... Or am I daft? :)

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

You might find more help on this subject in the "audio" forum room!