1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XviD Codec & Sony Vegas 6

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Ethrieltd, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Ethrieltd

Ethrieltd Member

Specific question, right.

When trying to import XviD files into Vegas 6, it reports that the video stream is unknown, i can play XviD files fine and have the codec installed (Koepi - 1.0.3.20122004), anyone know how i can remedy this as converting them to a different format (which i can do, but will lose me quality and take time) is a pain.

Failing a solution, can anybody tell me WHY i can`t import them after installing the codec, i works with everything else after all?

Ethriel

2. Kingbug

Kingbug Member

Search for a fourcc changer (there's a program called 'cfourcc' that does it), and use it to change the fourcc codes of your xvid files to 'divx'. For some reason, Vegas will then load them in perfectly!

note: this doesn't actually change the files to divx, just makes them look like divx, but they'll still play perfectly in any player because xvid and divx use the same file format.

3. arombauts

arombauts Member

Did it solved the problem? I have a similar problem with DivX 6 Pro codec... :-(

4. Ethrieltd

Ethrieltd Member

Yeah it did work, some of the files had odd audio (VBR) and that didnt import still but as it was the video i was interested in (and exporting the audio wouldnt be a pain as much and wouldnt lose me quality then this was fine)

and yeah i got the same problem with some divx 6 files too! not tried to change the fourCC on them yet!

Maybe it will work there too!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  5. MadCow06

MadCow06 Member

I'm having problems with the Divx 6.0 codec and importing it into vegas. I tried downloading a "four cc" changer (although i'm slightly confused about this still) and I opened up the file. I can't really change anything according to the above post as it says

FourCC Description Code: divx
    FourCC Used Codec: DX50

Can anyone tell me what to do to get divx 6.0 avi files fixed so I can import in vegas? Help is very much needed!

Thanks.

6. Ethrieltd

Ethrieltd Member

try changing it to a "open divx" 4 or later

Thats what worked for my xvid files

will test it out with the divx and report back but i`m away from my machine at the mo

7. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Changing XviD's fourCC would force Vegas to use DivX to decode it. Now since the DivX files are already using DivX as the decoder I am not sure what changing the fourCC would do.

The XviD files that worked, was that before you updated to DivX 6?

8. Ethrieltd

Ethrieltd Member

Nah was after installing it, just reencoded some video to divx 6 and tried it in vegas "no go", changed the fourCC in abcAVI tag editor, to "open divx 4 or later" yep, works for the video but the audio still not right.

dunno cant play much here, not my pc

9. MadCow06

MadCow06 Member

Well, I just changed an avi clip of mine that looked like this:

FourCC Used Codec: DX50

to look like this:

FourCC Used Codec: DIVX

I was now able to import it into vegas. Something happened with the picture though and I can't really explain it. Like, movement became blurred, as if it were having trouble keeping up with the speed. There's sort of an after bleed. It's not too noticeable in my case though. Maybe this will help some of you with divx 6.0 problems. I think my problem is solved, but right now I'm going to sleep.

10. Ethrieltd

Ethrieltd Member

yeah a "divx" "divx" setup would be the same as setting it as "open divx" and would support my findings with the xvid, seems like vegas may have a problem with divx 6 or something, now if i could discover the way o import the audio too then all would be right with the world.

vegas used to import all my files that "I ENCODED" with divx 5.05 with no issues at all in both vegas 5 and 6 although never tried xvid till now. (was thinking it it was my pc, must admit windows here is a bit flaky but i`d rather not format just yet) So after installing divx 6 i cant import the files I encode into vegas (without changing the fourCC) is it an issue with divx or vegas?

would try to see if vegas still imports divx encoded files done with divx 5.05 but how would i ensure they had been encoded with that.

OH and would the profiling options in divx 6 have any effect on how a third party program would play the file? (as to why vegas plays 5.05 encoded files and wont play 6 encoded files)

11. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If you check the userdata tag, there should be one containing the version info. Works for both XviD and DivX. For XviD you get the bitstream version though.