1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qoob Pro Installed But Normal Boot Screen

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by homerjnm, Jul 23, 2005.

1. homerjnm

homerjnm Member

OK I installed the Qoob Pro modchip, followed the board diagram and flashed the Qoob up to 1.3a no problems.

But two things wrong. Firstly, my DVD doesn't spin at all but maybe that is because I havent screwed down my cube yet as I know the DVD part needs to lock into place but....

Secondly when I switched on my cube I got nothing, so I then covered the 2 points that got wired under the cooler with electrical insulating tape and now it boots but straight into my normal cube screen as no chip was installed. I have checked the soldering and it seems fine.

Any suggestions?

2. xxsaijin

xxsaijin Regular member

Well for the part as the disk doesnt spin, I think I can answer that part. Well you have the case removed right? If thats the issue then look at the back of the GC where the LID switch is, you should see 2 pointy switches, they're colored black, just turn the power to your GC and hold BOTH of the switches back and the disk should spin, if they dont that means your LID switch is messed up. Thats atleast what I think. Hope it helps.

3. homerjnm

homerjnm Member

Ha nice one, of course the disc wont spin unless the lid is closed and yes I have the case off!! Well spotted mate, I should have got that one!!!!

But what about my Qoob?

I have soldered the points and I am positive they are fine, I got black scren until I covered the two points under the cooler with tape and now my gamecube boots ok but to the normal screen as if there is no chip there.

Plug the USB cable into the chip and can flash it ok, its 1.3a bios on it!!!

Since my cube is booting as per no chip does this mean my soldering is not quite right? My cube cant be bust as it boots ok but just no chip aaaahhhhh.

Any help anybody?

4. BOy2K

BOy2K Member

you will prolly be able to connect to the qoob and flash it as long
    as its connected to the usb. i could be wrong but im sure you
    could do this before you install.
    sounds like your wires arent soldered properly.

5. homerjnm

homerjnm Member

OK,

I resoldered the wires and they all seem fine but my GC boots up just as if there is no chip.

Well actually it boots up but the DVD doesnt spin. I disconnect the Qoob switch near the 2 switches that control the DVD drive and put back in the normal switch and it boots up ok and this time the DVD does spin.

So anybody got any ideas? I'll maybe show pics of my soldering!

6. xxsaijin

xxsaijin Regular member

I have the same damn problem with my qoob... I took it to a professional HAHA paid him 30 bucks and he installed it. Besides first time I tried it I destroyed my GC, (I had warrenty :D).

Though Qoob is better over all Viper GC is a much simpilor installation, only 4 wires.

7. homerjnm

homerjnm Member

Well I sorted it and now my Qoob works a treat. I found another site where it tells me not to solder the Red wire to that gold point but if you follow the point down and solder it to the leg of the chip that where the wire goes into for the Control Pads it then worked!!!

Joy o Joys!!!

8. dmpjat

dmpjat Member

have u got a link for that site with the alternative solder point for the 5v wire...??? is it the leg that is the same side as the old solder point or is it on the front side?? thx

jay

9. jonwallen

jonwallen Member

I am having the same problem! Except mine isn't because the lid is not on. I installed the qoob chip and it seemed to work "okay". I soldered everything according to instructions then plugged in the blue wire where it's supposed to go. Well I had everything together except for the security screws. I plugged it all in and it didn't spin. But then I powered it down and pushed down on the cd and then turned it on and it spun up. My game then loaded fine and the qoob boot screen came up. I was happy. Turned the unit over and screwed the security screws in. Turned it back over, powered it on and no spinning. Kept messing around with it, pushing on the cd, etc. and it wouldn't spin up. So I took it all apart again, checked my soldering, added some black tape to some of the wires so there was no contact with the heat sink. No luck. The status light lights up on the chip so I know it's working, just won't spin a cd! It's very frustrating. I checked the blue wires and everything seems to be fine. I unplugged the chip, plugged back in the original plug where it goes and the cd spins up no problem (games load fine)...but when I plug the chip back in, it won't spin up!

Anyone else have this problem and a solution to fix it? Is there any particular wire(s) I should be looking at? Could this be that 5v red wire not soldered good maybe (seems like a lot of people are having problems with this wire)? I checked the blue wires and they seem fine.

Maybe I just got a bum chip :-(

10. makors

makors Member

I got the same problem.
    Qoob workek for about 4 days, then the drive stopped to spin.
    Now i have an error message like "Check the lid switch wire".

11. jonwallen

jonwallen Member

Well, if I figure it out, I will post what I did here. I'm going to mess with it tomorrow again and see if I can figure out what is going on.

12. homerjnm

homerjnm Member

Its your red wire mate as it happened to me. I had it all working then put the case on and the erd wire got dislodged, thats why I soldered it onto the leg of the chip.

13. makors

makors Member

Ok, now i unplugged the "LID-Switch cable" from Qoob and reconnected the original one.
    And it works, takes about 10 seconds more to boot, but it works.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  14. jonwallen

jonwallen Member

Nope, it's not the red wire. I disconnected my red wire and the qoob chip didn't come on at all. I then resoldered it to the leg of the chip (the alternate location) and the qoob status light then comes on, but same problem (cd will NOT spin).

I resoldered EVERYTHING and rechecked and rechecked. Put it all together and same darn problem. If I disconnect the cd wire it spins, qoob status light is on, but no qoob boot menu...I plug in the wires for qoob and the status light on the chip comes on but no spinning and the default nintendo screen comes up.

This is really getting on my nerves.

Jon

15. homerjnm

homerjnm Member

Your symptoms are EXACTLY what happened to me when my red wire was not soldered correctly.

As you say you have checked them and resoldered, not much more I can offer in advice.

I do know that when my red wire was not done properly the drive would not spin unless I disconnected the drive wire from the Qoob and put in the normal one and it would boot up on the normal nintendo screen.

Do you get a black screen when you have the Qoob wire in the drive? You say it spins but nothing on the screen? If that is the case then check the 2 wires under the fan as they need tape over them to stop them shorting on the fan itself.

16. jonwallen

jonwallen Member

Oh okay. It is probably that then. I think I fried the gamecube somehow lol...but I got another one on the way! :)...I think the gamecube was kind of messed up to begin with though. Once in awhile the thing wouldn't spin at all. Well, whatever I did it made it like that for good.

And, no, I didn't get a black screen. The Nintendo screen comes up because the drive won't spin. I put tape over the yellow and purple wires to keep it from grounding out. I now think you are probably right. It's probably just something to do with that red wire...it's a real pain to connect, and I'm probably just not getting it soldered good. I am going to try again in a few days when I have the chance.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Jon

17. poodude

poodude Member

Sounds like you didn't take those two cables from the chip that bypasses the lid. The qoob male connector goes into the GC's female connector, and the male connector of the GC goes into the female connector of the Qoob. That gold connection, you want to sand a little and clean with alcohol to get a good strong solder point. They're tricky. I have a tutorial up, using the qoob pro in this forum. Check it out.

18. skold

skold Member

SO i installed the qoob pro, and all looked well, but when i went to boot her up, i too go the black screen.......only, when i unplugged the chip and unsoldered everything and wanted just the regular cube back, i still got the black screen. Powers up fine, orange lights comes on, fan comes on, and the mod chip even boots up and can have a bios installed.............so what exactly causes the black screen? Does anybody know?

Thanks

19. boboclown

boboclown Guest

All this talk of black screen and inability to recover to a functioning GameCube has got me a little worried.

My QOOB is due here tomorrow. I'm really comfortable in my soldering skills, so as long has I know the right points to attach to (plus drawing 5V from the alternate location), I thought it would be a breeze.

I am assuming everyone is making sure they have solid connections at the solder points, not overzealous with solder, essentially factory looking weld points. I also assume that if you have LED light on QOOB light up, there is no question on your power connection.

People aren't inadvertanly using the the QOOB SX wiring instructions instead of the QOOB PRO instructions, are they? Comparing them, they seem the same EXCEPT the point where you draw power from.

I'm not sure why people aren't using the 1.3C Qob BIOS. Could this be part of the problem? That or even though you appear to have a good flash of the BIOS, you don't. Have people tried reflashing?

It looks like when you flash the BIOS, the flash utility asks you "how" you want to boot the BIOS... 4 options there it looks like: Boot when X key held, Boot when Y key held, Boot when game is inserted, or Boot automatically... What are folks here choosing for that option?

I wish I had better visuals on this Disk Drive wire QOOB thing. Is there a pair of wires (not shown in any QOOB Pro kit picture I have seen) that connects from the QOOB Pro over to the Lid Switch? Only wires I have ever seen Blue/Green/Black/Red/Purple/Yellow wires, and all those have solder points to the mainboard. Can someone explain this Lid Switch wiring.

One final thought is the disk drive not working because of some other wiring, unrelated to the QOOB PRO, get dislodged during disasembly or reassembly. Could that be? Like the wire strap that runs from the main board to the drive unit (Sorry, just going off of pictures).

Finally, a status check please from the posters on this thread:

homerjnm: still broken? same status?

jonwallen: ?

makers: ?

skold: ?

poodude, you have a handy link?

20. skold

skold Member

Seeing how i just attempted the mod yesterday, it's still down......I'm hoping I just did a sloppy soldering job, because I know those skills are lacking....so maybe i can remove the solder some how and try again.

You shouldn't be skeptical about atleast trying the mod.....what fun is NOT trying to do it? :) you'll always be wondering, What if....