1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player that just tears it up!!!

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by bilg25, Jul 26, 2005.

1. bilg25

bilg25 Regular member

Hey Im looking for a DVD player that simply plays everything you put in it. Im more concerned with a DVD player that plays DVD-R's considering I have more of those as my backups. Let me know what has worked for you and plays the best, thanks!

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Don't get the Philips DVP642 ... It is touted as being able to play everything ... It does play everything - [poorly!] ...

3. bilg25

bilg25 Regular member

Yeah they had a thread on that player. Isn't that the one with Divx capabilities?

4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

There's probably more information at this site than you need .. but

http://search.ecoustics.com/Consumer/Reviews/DVD-Player/Alpha-Name/All/

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  5. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, i am looking for a player that will support mpeg-4, have a dts decoder, do dolby digital, play both dvd-r and dvd+r and have hdmi output as well as an optical output...........
    any suggestions????

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2005
  6. bilg25

bilg25 Regular member

Yeah im just looking for a DVD player that plays DVD-R's really well.

7. gear79

gear79 Guest

i ended up buying from best buy, an LG dvd player, model number LGDVB418 ....... i supports everything, and had all the features i was after. i wanted the LDA 511, but it was an online purchase only. i haggled the guy, cuz it took them over 45 minutes just to help me out, so i got it at a lower price...... paid 165.00 out the door. today i am going to buy my HDMI to DVI cable and put it to the test on my Hitachi 57" w/s
    dont know if i can pimp this page (mod.. edit if need be) but here is the link with the player from best buy..
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1087341116425
    and this is the one online only...
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1107957009599
    not a bad price, for all it does... even a media card reader too...

8. SuckRaven

SuckRaven Member

I compared the specs of the 2 LG players on the BestBuy links you put up. Very Nice. When you have the 2 windows up side by side however, the comparison is ultra-funny lol. Up near the top with the bulleted specs, the LGDVB418 lists all the supported playback formats (including XviD) while the LDA-511 does not. The funny part comes when you scroll a bit further down to the product details... The LGDVB418 with all the fancy stuff at the top now only lists playback formats as DVD and CD, while the LDA-511 lists them all here in the bottom part. Basically this is just a rant for the sake of consistency in the layout of BestBuy's pages. (I mean what if someone else like me who had way too much time on their hands pulled up those 2 pages side by side and was confused?) Tho I am now left wondering if the LDA-511 also supports XviD... I suspect it does, but it would be nice to have some solid confirmation of this. By the way, how you liking your new player?

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Here are more DVD player reviews than you could possibly ever read ... Enjoy

http://search.ecoustics.com/Consumer/Reviews/DVD-Player/Alpha-Name/All/

10. mike6989

mike6989 Member

um try a divx dvd player which you can get at a best buy or something
    that should be able to play your dvd-r data disc and all forms of divx, if not get a file converter such as avs video converter to convert it all to ifo/vob/buf format, which standalones can read

11. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ suckraven
    i love this player, when i bought it at best buy, it was $199.99 and the best buy online had it for $179.99 (for the 418) and the 511 was (online $170.00) so i got the best buy guy yo match the online price. i took it home, hooked it all up with the hdmi cable (my tv takes a dvi, so i got the hdmi to dvi cable) and played it, the picture was amazing. but after time, i got a lip sync problem. i have researched this player in other forums and found that it is an issue with older models (prior to may of 05). i called up lg and they sent me a firmware update, which is available on the net too (i dont have the link here at work, but its at home). anyway, i loaded the cd and all seemed well for about 2 movies, then i noticed a slight pause in play occasionally and sometimes a flat out still image. i sent them one more e-mail and they told me to send it in for repairs. this player is just over 30 days old, so best buy may exchange it out for me. but the 511 is the exact same player, the only real difference, is slightly slimmer and a vacuum operated cd/dvd door. soon after i bought this player, it went on clearance, so i took back my receipt and got an extra 40 bucks credit (price now was $139.99 (and i had 20 bucks in best buy points, so actually i got it for $119.99 + tax.

@ mike6989
    this player (the 418) plays all formats as well as the 511, the only thing i dont think it plays is packed bitstream
    it plays data flawlessly.. i can put up to 12 movies on a s/l dvd and it plays them just fine. it supports divx, xvid, mpeg1, 2, 3, & 4, data, sacd, vcd, mp3, svcd, cd, dvd, card reader, and more... i have not used every single option on this player yet, but it rocks. and the price is good too.

12. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Bilg25

here's a thread I posted a few days ago about a DVD player that I have that I bought Dirt Cheap.......

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/229473

It's a Terapin TT-2600.got it for $21.00

Just go on Ebay & type in I think Zone Free DVD Player...

The sellers name is ...texasscrub.....
    another friend of mine got it for just $13.00.....

It's region free and plays just about any video format.
    I've had mine now for over a year and have been very happy with it.

Cheaper DVD Players play wider video formats, than the expensive one's.

hope this helps.

13. gear79

gear79 Guest

yeah, but some cheaper dvd players don't support other important features. for example, optical and coax outputs (digital), component out, dts, 5.1 multi channel out, options.........
    i guess i am spoiled, i like bells and whistles on my electronics. sure you may find a cheapy dvd player and it work fine for you, but i am an electronics junkie........ i like being able to have all my electronics with gadgets and also to connect to anything and even for future purchases.
    to each their own !

14. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

gear79

This one does have an optical output, but not coax.

15. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ dabig25
    i have read mixed reviews on optical outputs and coax outputs as to which is better.... i am running on mine an HDMI to DVI cable (since the DVI does not support audio) but HDMI to HDMI does, so i run a good optical cable instead. i did return my LGDVB418 back to best buy and traded it for the LDA-511... this one does just as much as the last one, but has only (so far from what i see and read) only a few different options... vacuum loading cd/dvd, different front display, cool blue lights next to the cd/dvd load area (it has no tray in this one) and seems a tad bit lighter...
    it is selling at best buy for the price of 179.99
    here is the 418
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1087341116425
    and here is the 511
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1107957009599
    funny how both are identical prices, but just shortly after i had bought the 418, it went on clearance, saved me 40 bucks, but now its back to its original price.
    i will test out this LDA-511 for a while and see what happens with this one (i took the 418 back for sync problems, and LG sent me numerous firmware updates with no fixes yet, just made things worse)

16. kameleion

kameleion Guest

Both of these are the HD conversion dvd players,,,I bought the Samsung yesterday and it shows a great pitcure when hooked up to the Hdmi and I see now Sony has came out with their HD conversion which will be in stores Tuesday here ,,,has anybody had personal experenice with either one of these. I've never purcahsed anything from Samsung until last month when I purchased the 50 inch dlp (AWSOME),,the only quirks the samsung dvd player has is that it only fast forward or rewind in 2x,4x,64x and its very choppy and after forwarding and rewinding it goes to the next chapter plus the remote sucks but sears has a sale on them for $109 but still mite exchange for the sony because of the great players they have put out so far,,,,any advice will help..
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...sem/rpsm/oid/131360/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...tical=ELEC&pid=05757045000&subcat=DVD+Players

17. SuckRaven

SuckRaven Member

@gear79

I have a lot of short clips of my travels in Europe that I have converted to the DivX format. Is it possible to just burn these to a DVD as-is, and have (the 511 say) play them, or would I need to get some sort of DVD authoring program and create menus or something for which clips to play? Or if I just dump a bunch of .avi files on a blank DVD, will it play them as they come in order?

18. gear79

gear79 Guest

@suckraven
    the LG LDA-511 does support divx format, so does the LGDVB418 (which i took back) but there are many other dvd players out there too that support many formats, such as divx. but yes, you can burn your clips with many burning programs and have workable menus. nero is a very good program, retail value around 35 bucks. there are others as well, but i only use nero and know nero the best, but with nero, you can do more as well........ make cd/dvd labels/covers, back up your hard drive, make audio cds, the list goes on and on, and for the price, its a great tool.

19. generalno

generalno Member

Nero is trashy! It has only been causing me problems. Audio is consistantly out of synch 1-3 seconds using Nero 6 & Nero Vision Express2! Horrible product unless you like watching video while waiting for audio portion to catch up a few seconds later like Really bad lip synching.

Though it usually burns data discs fine.

20. JVC

JVC Active member

I've been using Nero for a couple of years, without any problems.
    generalno............... I think you have other issues, that mainly show up when you burn cds. I don't know what the issues are, but they are there. There's too many people using Nero, without problems.
    Good luck!