1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athlon 64 x2 3800+ vs. Athlon 64 4000+

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by skidme, Aug 2, 2005.

1. skidme

skidme Guest

Hey guys I really need your expert advice. I have a dilemma--->I want to buy one of those to CPU's posted above. Which one do you think perform better overall? I am planning to OC the one that I buy so they both should run rather nicely, no? Any advice is appreciated

2. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I would get the AMD 4000+.......If your going to be multitasking alot than the X2 is the way to go. You get much better results with a single core 4000+ than an X2 3800++, a faster clocked single core scores better than X2s in game benchmarks. Dual core is without a doubt the future of gaming, right now most games are single-threaded so you will only be running one of the two available cores! I would wait until software is designed with multiple threads, then a dual- core processor would be advantageous over a single processor......hope this helps you out a bit??

3. skidme

skidme Guest

Yep thx for your help. I've decided to wait in buying my processor until I seee some benchmark tests performed on the x2 3800+. I saw somewhere(on aD i think) that the 3800+ x2 is acutally 2 3200+'s. We'll see wat happens.

4. skidme

skidme Guest

Oh yeah, and I've got one more question. If I get a fairly fast single-core CPU(such as the 4000+) it will be able to handle multi-threaded games rather well right? Obviously it won't be as good as the dual-core CPU, but I won't see a huge decrease in performance with multithreaded games?

5. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

That AMD 4000+ could handle any game you throw at it......end of story!! It is an absolute beast!!!!!

6. skidme

skidme Guest

Awesome...THX for your input

7. techguy26

techguy26 Regular member

I'm also with elusiv1 as I got a 3800 to that 4000 is a beast. and if you want to know the truth it is a fx 53 in disguise. amd said at the time they only wanted one fx chip, so the 55 was it, now that the fx57 is out I'm curious to see how far that 55 will drop.

8. skidme

skidme Guest

In that case I made the right decision in purchasing it. :) Ahhh I can almost smell the high fps hehe

9. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

That's a good point Techguy!! Hopefully, they can drop the FX-55 down to half price??? Say around $500 or so, maybe then i'll be able to take the FX plunge. Hey Skidme, you did make the right decision in getting the 4000+..........enjoy it!! Later Guys

10. spartan4

spartan4 Guest

hi guy's i have a AMD 4000+ san diego cpu but im just one of those people who just has to have the best or near the best,im thinking of getting the fx 55 or the fx 57 but between the two is there that much diffence??in performence wise? would the fx 55 57 be that good at handeling multitasking i know they are for single theaded app's realy but want your advise i mean gameing is the real reason im thinking about it cause ive just gone sli.

11. skidme

skidme Guest

Well, IMO it's kinda useless to get dual core right now anyway, and really fast signle core cpu's accomplish pretty much the same thing. While a dual core CPU can do two things at once, a fast single core(such as the 4000+ does one thing really really fast, and does it well.

12. spartan4

spartan4 Guest

yea i kinda thought that but the 2.8GHZ clock must give the fx 57 a massive boost over the other's i guess that's why i was thinking of getting it.

13. skidme

skidme Guest

If you get nice cooling, you can OC your 4000+ to FX-55 standards

14. spartan4

spartan4 Guest

i dont know that much on overclocking but would like to learn maybee you could help me (im running a asus a8n sli deluxe. oh yea and what speed do you think i could reach on a 4000+ i mean the san diego has had the best review's.

15. skidme

skidme Guest

Probably somewhere around 2.6-2.8 GHz

16. spartan4

spartan4 Guest

so what kind of tweaking do i need to do to overclock my 4000+ ?
    i have a asus a8n sli deluxe i dont know that much about overclocking
    can some one HELP!

17. skidme

skidme Guest

Try posting in the OverClocking forum...I don't know much about that board.

18. spartan4

spartan4 Guest

hi guy's just thought i would tell you all a realy good site to oder your computer stuff from it's www.novatech.co.uk lot's of there stuff is even cheaper than overclockers uk.check out there cpu's