1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

inputting into a PVR

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by buscuit, Aug 8, 2005.

1. buscuit

buscuit Regular member

Can anyone recommend a past or present PVR model (TiVO, ReplayTV, etc.) that will allow me to dump video into it from an external source (i.e. home movies, personal DVD made items, etc.)?

2. sundy58

sundy58 Member

I'm assuming you don't want to play your video from the source to the DVR. In that case no.
    ReplayTV will network with your home network. You can then install DVArchive on a PC (Mac or Wintel) and stream to the ReplayTV.
    You haven't given us enough information to actually help you. I can think of 20 different things to do but we don't know what you video source is why you want to dump it on a DVR do you have a network a HTPC? I could go on but perhaps you have an idea now as to getting people to help you.

3. buscuit

buscuit Regular member

OK, what I'm looking to do is basically dump home video footage to a DVD-RAM on my Panasonic DVD recorder. Edit it the way I want, then dump it from the DVD-RAM to the PVR so I can then dump it back to the DVD Recorder onto the DVD-R format. Therefore so it will be playable in most DVD players (for friends & family). I did have a Panasonic DVD recorder that had a 400GB built in hard drive that I could do this more easily with, but I didn't like the thing as I felt it was WAAAAAAY to expensive for what it didn't do & I wanted. Didn't pause live TV like I thought it would, doesn't record to DVD-RW, controls are clumsy, etc. I wound up returning it and getting this simpler Panasonic DVD recorder for a LOT less. I figured I would then buy a separate PVR unit with cooler features & also so I could pause live TV. But maybe they would allow me to dump footage into them as well so I can accomplish what I mentioned above.