1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE: CONVERT PAL TO NTSC

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by DVDBack23, Aug 11, 2005.

1. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Use vso DIvx to DVD converter
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm

Open up DivxToDVD. Under input,input your PAL avi, wmv, mpeg, OR .VOB (thank you Dallison) file and then change the aspect and standard (circled in red) to [bold]force 16:9 and force 29.97[/bold]

Works 100% of the time with high quality disks. Has played on the dvd players i have tried it on with no visual problems, including the PS2.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  2. dallison

dallison Member

This worked great! I just used this process to successfully converted an old movie in PAL DVD format to NTSC. It was simple 2-step process to convert the movie using DivxToDVD to convert it to my Harddrive and Nero to burn it to a DVD-R. Having never done this before, I appreciated the simplicity - Thanks.

3. dallison

dallison Member

I forgot to mention that I just pointed DivxToDVD to the first *.VOB file and the software converted everything (*.VOB, *.IFO, *.BUP) to the target folder on my PC.

4. DVDBack23

Excellent! Glad to help, i love this simple process as well.

5. huskylord

huskylord Member

I'm just a little confused...am I right to assume this guide starts with the file format being DivX? ...and then you convert into NTSC?
    If you are starting with a TS folder with all the .vob files that are in PAL, would you need to convert first to .avi and then back to NTSC?.

sorry if I'm making this harder than it should be

cheers.

6. DVDBack23

Yes, this guide assumes you are starting with an avi, wmv, mpeg, etc and then trying to get an NTSC video-files. I have never tried running VOB files through and please try it out see if it works, i think it probably would.

7. dallison

dallison Member

I did not have a *.AVI file. This process worked converting *.VOB files from PAL to NTSC for me (see comments above).

8. JJLodge

JJLodge Member

will this work NTSC to PAL ??

JJ

9. dallison

dallison Member

> will this work NTSC to PAL ??

I have not tried it, but the software has options to convert either direction.

10. DVDBack23

Just press "force PAl 25" if you want NTSC-Pal conversion. THank you for the comments Dallison, i can now tell people that VOB work perfect as well.

11. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

I've tried 2 PAL DVD's so far. As the Source File I select the first VOB of the main movie. For Aspect I have "Force 16:9", and for Standard I have "Force NTSC 29.97 Fps".

This results in VOB files which have been converted to NTSC but I'm not getting the IFO and BUF files as some people seem to be getting. This means I'm not getting sub-titles either.

For those of you who are getting everything (*.VOB, *.IFO, *.BUP), how are you doing it?

12. seanmcgu

seanmcgu Member

DVDBack23,

Thanks for your great walkthrough but I've got one problem. After converting, the audio is fine but the video skips slightly every second or so. Any way to even this out?

Here is what Video Inspector reports for the AVI file before converting:

[​IMG]

And do you know if "DivX to DVD Converter" converts XviD? That's what my AVI is. (Maybe that's my problem?)

......Sean

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  13. DVDBack23

It does convert Xvid so that shouldnt be a problem. The playback is jerky on your computer or your standalone DVD player?

14. seanmcgu

seanmcgu Member

Sorry...on my computer. All other videos play normally and the AVI I'm trying to convert plays normally before conversion.

15. DVDBack23

seanmcgu,

Im at somewhat of loss for your dilemna as i have never encountered jerky picture on a dvd i made using VSO. I have done the same movie and had no problems, (perhaps different avis) but all i can say for now, is reinstall your xvid codecs, use the FREEWARE version of VSO if you arent already, and then try using divxtodvd again, without changing the aspect ratio only the Standard to "Force NTSC 29.97".

Hope this helps, if not i will try my best to help you furthur.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  16. seanmcgu

seanmcgu Member

Thanks. Will give it a try and let you know.

17. seanmcgu

seanmcgu Member

DVDBack23,

Well, not too sure what to do now. I did as you suggested and loaded XviD codec v1.0.3 for Windows from http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/. I left the settings all on default for both the Configure Decoder and Configure Encoder settings:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4707/temp19go.png
    http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/8606/temp27zh.png

I then left the Aspect ratio on Automatic and forced the Standard to 29.97 but with the same, jerky results. Audio is fine, though.

Don't know if I have the FREEWARE version of divxtodvd; I didn't pay for the one I have, just downloaded it. It's version 0.5.2.99.

Thanks again for your help but don't worry if you can't think of anything else.

18. Mary13

Mary13 Guest

Just wondering ...with this program...how long does it usually take for this process.
    Mine says like 4 hrs ...is that normal?

19. DVDBack23

Mary13,

On my slow 2.8 intel p4 processor it takes 1 hour 10 minutes for a 2 hour movie.

Seanmcgu,

OK, one last thing and then im out of ideas. Try forcing whatever aspect you havent already, 4:3, 16:9. If that doesnt work im sorry I couldnt have been of more help, but i have never had this problem. :(

Edit: Have you tried playing the .vobs before burning to disk to see if they are jerky?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  20. bmanhas

bmanhas Member

when you say first vob file, how do i know which one is the first one, or do you mean just point to any of them and it will do it.

also, there's a whole bunch of other files other than vob inside a video_ts folder, is it possible to see a step by step.

sorry but i'm a newbie to this conversion thing

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005