1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying 90/99 min media

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by burnproof, Apr 4, 2002.

1. burnproof

burnproof Guest

Hi!

Several posts talk about ATIP etc. How can I identify media that supports 90 or 99 minutes recording? What is "Long Strategy" etc?

Appreciate any info on this.

2. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

Most media that are 90 or 99 minutes can't be identified by the ATIP, since that capacity is attained only by overburning. Generally, the three ways to determine are:

1) Check the box/spindle;
    2) Do a test/simulated capacity test burn (Your recorder might not support this)
    3) Do a real big sized burn (If the disc doesn't, you'll make a coaster), this is the most sure way.

"Long Strategy" and "Short Strategy" refer to the burner's strategy with that media type.
    Long Strategy means more time is spent burning a pit = more laser power, and those discs that use this dye generally use cyanine or azo dye (Generally cheaper/shorter lasting and better with slower as opposed to faster burns).
    Short Strategy is the opposite. Smaller time per pit, which means less laser power used and a phthalocyanine dye (or one of its many modifications). Generally more expensive and longer lasting, better with faster (24x+) burners.
    Worth noting that if your burner is 8-16x, then both types of disks should generally be OK.
    Also, worth noting is that, even being cyanine, a good cyanine disc will last longer than a bad phthalocyanine one.

3. burnproof

burnproof Guest

Hi fallen_br,

Thanks for the info.

The spindle doesn't say anything (except for the std 80 min, 24x...).

Guess I have to buy and try.........

Most media that are 90 or 99 minutes can't be identified by the ATIP, since that capacity is attained only by overburning. Generally, the three ways to determine are:

1) Check the box/spindle;
    2) Do a test/simulated capacity test burn (Your recorder might not support this)
    3) Do a real big sized burn (If the disc doesn't, you'll make a coaster), this is the most sure way.

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Long strategy should be more tolerant to inaccurate burn time/laser power, so they are more compatible with less-than-perfect writers.

5. burnproof

burnproof Guest

Thanks, cd-rw.org

6. jase

jase Guest

That's true, but bear in mind that Cyanine discs are not really all that good at high speeds.

I'd say the following applies with media/speed in general:

Cyanine type 0 (eg Ritek, CMC, TDK, Fornet): up to 4x, 8x maybe at a push. Be careful of TDK-manufactured discs, which say 16x recording but often with some writers are only reliable to 8x.

Cyanine type 1 (Ritek, Prodisc, TY, Lead-Data): up to 12x, 16x usually OK, 24x is really pushing things and I wouldn't recommend such speeds. 40x out of the question!!!

Phthalocyanine (gold/silver media): tends to write at high speeds regardless of rating, will usually go to 24x with no hassle, 32x may be borderline for the cheap stuff though.

Also it has to be said that you often need to slow down further for 90-minute media due to tracking issues. If you don't have a high-quality writer such as TEAC, Plextor, Yamaha >12x recording is unrealistic with 90-minute discs, and 8x is the realistic maximum for 99-minute media even with the best drives due to the tolerances being taken to the limits.

To be honest 8x and 12x recording is a good idea to avoid bad burns even with 24x+ rated discs with the best drives. 16x is often OK, but once you get above this speed things often become flaky. I have yet to see a 32x or 40x burn that I would class as "excellent"!!

7. burnproof

burnproof Guest

Jase,

Thanks for the info.

You mentioned the TEAC, Plextor, Yamaha as hi-quality writers. Would the Sony CRX1611 or the Liteon 40125S qualify?

8. no[i]se

no[i]se Guest

What about TY's Super Cyanine II? It claims 32x capable.

9. jase

jase Guest

burnproof: Both of those drives I think are manufactured by LiteOn. They are OK, but their calibration routines are a bit less than optimal. They work with a very wide range of media but work on the premise of "well I can read that test write OK so the disc must be calibrated" rather than actually seeking out the optimal strategy. That said they are above average, and I'd say you should be OK to 16x.

Interestingly I've just bought an Artec 32x writer, and it can write the Ritek 99-minute discs (phthalocyanine) well at 24x. That really surprised me, as this is just a cheap little burner with a Ricoh (spit!) chipset in it. It actually performs really, really well considering its price, putting many more expensive drives to shame!!

nose: Taiyo Yuden are the inventors of Cyanine, and seem to want to get the most they can out of it. I think it's a matter of pride, they won't want to use another manufacturer's product in their discs. The new cyanine dyes coming out are quite good, and are still more compatible reading-wise than phthalocyanine, but the format is running out of steam -- they have to reformulate every time the speed is increased. It's becoming more and more a fudge to get the discs to burn at high speed.

That said, again this little Artec is burning 12x TY discs at 32x with no readability problems or C2 errors. It shows that perhaps the format is more capable than some of us give credit. It also shows how good this Artec is!

10. burnproof

burnproof Guest

jase,

Thanks for the info. Are you sure the Sony CRX1611 is made by Liteon? Tried flashing it with the Lite-on firmware to upgrade it to 24x. Says no compatible drives found.

11. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Burnproof,

The Sony has different hardware ID, which means that you just can't go with LiteOn firmwares?

Jase,

Can you give more details on the Artec? Perhaps we could dig out if it's rebagged drive?

12. jase

jase Guest

It's similar to the Ricoh, Samsung or Aopen 32x drives. But it is manufactured by Artec themselves.

I have a review lined up which will be published on CDRLabs within the next week. I was impressed -- it's cheap, it reads audio, mode2 and CDRW at full speed, it is one of the fastest 32x writers around, its very media-friendly and its even quite well made.