1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW do I copy MY Video (store bought) tape to a DVD?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by kaxmir, Aug 24, 2005.

1. kaxmir

kaxmir Guest

I have a Sony [Video to DVD] [DVD to Video] recorder/burner unit.

Problem is I want to [bold]record my store bought legal videos to DVDs [/bold]to clean up and make more space for storage. However, the videos are encrypted/protected and I'm not able to copy to a DVD.

Anybody know what I can do?

Much appreciated for ANY and ALL advise.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

So from what you are Saying you are trying to Record VHS tapes to DVD useing a Standalone Sony DVD Recorder??

Most all Store Bought VHS tapes are protected From Copying useing macrovision copy protection so if you want to record VHS tapes with your DVD Recorder you will need to Buy a Video Stabilizer or a Clarifier of some Sort to remove the Macrovision.....

Something like this would Work:

http://www.facetvideo.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=83&cat=0&page=1

3. kaxmir

kaxmir Guest

hi minion. thanks, very much. But what is this fastclick.net.... page loading error so I could not get onto site to see what this is?

Is it a piece of equipment?

Please let me know [bold]what I need to hook up from stand alone SONY video/DVD recorder to laptop.[/bold]

Whatever you suggest would be very nice to read about.

Thanking you in advance.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Yes it is a Piece of Equipment that you put in between the VCR and the DVD Recorder that removes the Macrovision from the Video signal...Just do a Google search for "Video Clarifier" or "Video Stabilizer Macrovision Remover" and you should Find a Bunch of devices that "Claim" to be able to remove Macrovision but from what I hear only a few of them Work very well....

I don"t think there is a way to Hook the DVD Recorder Directly up to your Laptop and I don"t really see why you would want to as your DVD Recorder doesn"t have any Video Stored on it(Unless it has some sort of Built in DVR/PVR and a Hard Drive) but after recording your VHS tapes or TV shows to DVD you can Put the Recorded DVD into your Laptops DVD Drive and Transfer the Video to your Laptop so you can Possibly edit the Video and Re-author it back to DVD with Menu"s and Chapters if you wanted to....

Here are some E-Bay links to Video Stabilizers that will work for Transfering VHS to your DVD Recorder and they are Failry cheap but do not have some of the advanced Features of the More Expensive Ones....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Optex-VO760-Digi...Z5802907447QQcategoryZ294QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or

http://cgi.ebay.ca/brand-new-electr...Z5801527367QQcategoryZ294QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.ca/W-W-DIGITAL-VIDE...801772322QQcategoryZ32864QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

5. kaxmir

kaxmir Guest

Hi minion, found a site [bold]http://www.checkhere22.com[/bold] that carries a Video Stabilizer. I emailed them and they said it would work with my Sony DVD/Video recorder. It's a black box that you attach to the either the input or output of the unit. it's 50.00 (USD)

Said it's guaranteed to work, will be ordering in a couple of days, will let you know how it works.

Take care,
    Until later
    Thanks again!!!
    Cheers to you too!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
  6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, That is the exact same one I used to use for Copying VHS tapes back in the Early 90"s and it worked fairly Good....

The Price on that is only $29.99 Pluss $5 for Shipping but you could Probably Find one Cheaper on E-Bay but at least there is a warrenty with that one were on ebay there most likely isn"t....

Cheers

7. kaxmir

kaxmir Guest

Don't talk about EBAY, I am having a major prob. with them, and the seller, bought something back in March 2005, emailed seller, told her I want to send back, she said fine. STILL waiting for a refund, filled out all the EBAY online reports, AFTER seller refused to refund my money, etc......

EBAY is "f*(*(*^^)(*" ridiulous with refund policies. "Caveat Emptor" Buyer Beware. Wish I new a good phrase for EBAY Buyer Beware.

But, will try this device, will let you know how goes....

P.S. Are you from the United Kingdom?

I live in NY.

Later.....
    Andreja

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes E-Bay can be a Bitch if you aren"t carefull...I got ripped off on e-bay quite a few Times when i first started buying off of there but now I only buy from sellers who have a 98% possitive feedback or better and who have sold at least 200 Items....

I actually Live in Western Canada, I work in Vancouver as a Video editor But I live on Vancouver Island...I actually have never had any problems buying from Canadian Sellers but I have had Problems with things getting lost in the Mail comeing from the US, Lots of My stuff allways seems to get lost By USPS or in Customs when I buy from US sellers so Now I allways get Insurance.....

Take It Easy....Cheers

9. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

What would be the best video stabilizer? Any suggestions?

Jesse

10. kaxmir

kaxmir Guest

Hi Jesse,

The video stabilizer, WHICH IS NOT HOOKED UP YET - I bought from:

http://www.checkhere22.com for $29.99 + $4.95 S/H USD.

click on the second picture which states VIDEO STABILIZER.

Here's the descripption from their website.

[italics]Digital Video Stabilizer[/italics]

[bold]The Digital Video Stabilizer stabilizes the picture on copy-protected videotapes. The copy protection can degrade the signal going to your TV. The law prohibits you from making illegal copies of videotapes using the Digital Video Stabilizer. This device is sold only for the purpose of improving the picture going to the TV.
    The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) may allow non-profit libraries or educational institutions to use this device to make copies of videotapes. This device allows copy-protected videotapes to be copied to DVD or videotape.

In some cases, it may be legal to make backup copies of videotapes under the Fair Use law. You may only purchase the Digital Video Stabilizer if you agree that it will not be used to make illegal copies.

Click here for answers to your technical questions about the Digital Video Stabilizer.
    Try the Stabilizer risk free!
    Return within 15 days for any reason and get a full
    refund PLUS we refund the money you paid us for
    shipping! No RMA required! Just send it back.

Digital Video Stabilizer

BATTERY INCLUDED[/bold]

11. titosanta

titosanta Member

12. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

So far so good. Not sure about video quality yet. I have done a couple of older tapes to DVD and they are not really good examples. I will let you know when I do something newer with a better video quality.

13. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

I didn't realize this when I purchased it but it will not copy protected DVDs. It will certainly do tapes.

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

You are Better off Ripping a DVD to your HD than trying to capture it....

15. cashman1

cashman1 Guest

I had a number of VHS tapes I had purchased over the years and I wanted to get them onto DVD's. What I ended up doing was to purchase a TV card for my PC that will record from my VCR playing.. I think it was about $30.00 and it works like a champ. It records to an MPeg2 file which can be worked by a number of free programs and then burned to a DVD. Plus you get TV as a bonus on your PC....

16. jesse100

jesse100 Guest

Did you install this yourself? Was that easy to do?

J

17. softman

softman Member

hi, i just installed a tv card in my computer! i have lots of vhs tapes to put on discs ! as well as the tv card you will need : 3.5 stereo 2x phono plug, 3 phono scart switch 1.5, hama svhs lead 2m or a composite colour cable instead of the hama svhs lead 2m ! ask the guy in the shop how to connect these correctly, and if he has a tower box of a computer opened ask him how you fit the tv card ! its really only a push in fit ! well worth the money ! best of luck with this !

18. kaxmir

kaxmir Guest

Hi Titosanta and all:

This stabilizer was just hooked up. I had to hook it up to a stand alone video VCR player and then hooked up the cables to the output VCR/DVD recorder.

I tried one really old VCR tape, however, their were alot of "blank" spots. Not sure if the tape was messed up or what. I'm going to try another encrypted tape to see if it works.

I will certainly let you know.

Thanks for replying

19. jAmEsTn

jAmEsTn Member

you all DO realize that this guy "CANNOT" hook any type of equipment between the VCR and DVD player on a VCR/DVD combo; of coarse i believe the prior post mentions he had to hook a second vcr up to complete his task. Honestly, i wouldnt ever buy a standalone DVD Recorder unit... waste of money and full or restrictions. Instead to complete this task on my own at home i use my Tv Tuner card and hook my VCR into the inputs and waalaa.. click record and dub the show; of coarse i've only done this with home videos or videos i've already owned.

O.T. question?... if i own the VCR tape am I legally allowed to rent the same title on DVD to backup and archive?.. or is this another example of how music and movie rights owners expect one to pay them a second time for something they've bought on a different format?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  20. kaxmir

kaxmir Guest

JamesTN and all: actually I ALREADY had this equipment on hand. Another point, I am NOT a guy, I am a female.

AND I have had good results, just decrypted, using the stabilizer device, A video tape from "stand alone" vcr and taped perfectly onto a DVD media.

Any more questions or suggestions, write me.

Thanks