1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vga 15 pin to s-video or 1 rca

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by jakowski, Aug 27, 2005.

1. jakowski

jakowski Member

I have a laptop with no s-video but it does have a 15 pin vga. i want a connector or cord that will go from VGA to s-video if not that then to one RCA. I found a cord to 3 RCA but i do not have a HD tv is it unneeded.

2. corkyduke

corkyduke Member

3. jakowski

jakowski Member

Thanks that is exaclty what i'm looking for.

4. jakowski

jakowski Member

do you know how the quality is when watching a movie (windows media player) through the cable?

5. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

Man I paid twice as much on ebay for mine.

I cant get it to work.

I think you Have to have tv out for it to work?

I have a line out I guess that aint the same,

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

for the video signal, they should be the same. tv's and computers have different shapes/resolutions of screens, and with that option, whatever is on your screen will show up on your tv. there should be a way (somewhere on there) for you to change your screen option from Monitor to TV.

7. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

well I tried it on a diffent TV and now I can see the screen but its split into two, blurry and black and white.

I tried about 20 differnt resolutions and NO luck.

I found a website that said the resolutions but the one it said was not listed I also opened the hidden ones but still wasent there.

Do you still think I need to switch my monitor to TV?

Or Do you think my TVs are just to Old?

Thank you

8. Chrispyb

Chrispyb Guest

HELP I've just bought a VGA to s-video and yellow video composite out cable when I change the screen to external a picture comes up but its grey and fuzzy I've tried to change the resoulotion but to no hope.

Any help would be appriciated!

9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

@ NINVIN21
    Set up your display as a TV, not monitor, in control panel, display, advanced.
    Set refresh at 60hz, 640x480.
    You'll have to have the latest drivers for your video card installed.
    NForce for GeForce cards, or Catalyst for Radeon cards.

@ Chrispyb
    See above.

10. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

Thank you for trying to help! I was at this for a while I kind gave up.

There is no spot to set it to tv.Some one told me Dell PC's are a little differnt to set up,

11. MrCub

MrCub Member

Admire the collective desire to feed VGA output to S-Video. This is more than a simple plumbing challenge. VGA is, of course, a digitally formatted signal while NTSC, whether composite, S-Video or Rf, is analog. What this requires is a VGA to PAL or NTSC converter. Chipsets designed to perform this function abound since many TV-Tuner and Video-Capture cards (WinTV, AIW ATI Radeon, Zoltrix TV Max, to name a few) exploit this capability to transform analog inputs for digitizing (viewing on VGA) and DVR functionality. If you're really up for the challenge of masking, etching, inserting and soldering components on a PCB along with sufficient testing, the following site has a somewhat dated example of what you're after:
    http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/vga2tv/vga2palntsc.html

Good luck,

MrCub

12. Darkmagic

Darkmagic Member

well from what i have seen i dont think it would be clear as hd if u want it to be clear get ur self a component tv or a tv that support dvi or hdmi or just plan old pc inputs

13. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

I have a adapter her for sale. 50.00 plus shipping. Even comes with a remote for adjustment. You just plus it into the vga and then it has outputs for rca or svideo.....plus the remote for adjusting it. Works good for watching movies of ya comp.....but you have to plug it into the mouse port to power it.....willing to bargain or trade....I have no need for it anymore cause my vid card has svideo output already built in...:>

14. Jorox

Jorox Member

I'm interested can you send me a pic or something, how does the picture look with that thing, by the way I'm in Lebanon so its a diffrent country what do you say.

15. panju30

panju30 Member

I am looking forward for a converter from s-video ( Dvd Player ) to VGA ( 15 pin ) computer monitor. Has anyone have this kind of experience.

16. MrCub

MrCub Member

Panju,

If you're seeking to extend video output functionality from your DVD (or any S-Video or composite device) then you may wish to consider the item on the following URL link:

http://www.grandtec.com/videomate.htm

This device handles the major analogue video formats. If you wish to expand your interactivity and perform video capture (stills) or realtime recording and you can live with using the computer as an interface device (with the monitor as your output device, of course), then you might contemplate investing in a fully featured TV card.

Try an eBay search on ATI's All-In-Wonder (TV Wonder), Hauppauge's WinTV, Easy-TV, or multitude of other products by looking for 'TV Tuner Card'. This should provide you with a broad spectrum of internal/external PC devices as well as PCI/VGA or USB/PCMCIA compatibility. (In eBay I used TV Tuner Card and received ~300 hits.)

eBay e-tailers often have knock-off (clone) products that perform identical functionality, but 'cavaet emptor' since these items are narrowly marketed and distributed with little consumer literature. An example of a product that may satisfy your requirement can be found at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8729544447

The prices on new and used converters varies as much as their functionality. Research as much as you wish; it's right at your finger tips.

Good fortune,

MrCub

17. Chrispyb

Chrispyb Guest

HELP!!

I've got a basic laptop with a shared graphics card with only a VGA out, I plug in my VGA to S-Video, and then from that my s-video cable, I have a picture on my screen but its black and white and a little fuzzy, could someone please help me!!

18. sparkyc

sparkyc Member

can I go from rgb to vga with that cable???

19. sparkyc

sparkyc Member

I bought my mama a dvd player to put pics on soas she can view the latests and greatest phots of family. thing is that I purchased an lcd monitor on sale (to get a decent view of photos w/minimal counter space (lookin out for mama)) but it only does 15 pin svga (pc). anyone know how I can go from dvd rgb to 15pin (svga?)???
    any help would be most appreciated as I know little of the formats.
    thanks in advance. sparkyc:

20. sparkyc

sparkyc Member

HEE HEE :| Sorry . followed a link that got me here and THEN read the post. will try that adapter and if anyone knows of a Less expensive option a reply would be great. ttfn