1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDA w/mp10

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by rasrock, Aug 28, 2005.

1. rasrock

rasrock Member

Hello Movie Fans,
    Well I got this bright idea to play movies on my IPAQ 4705 w/mp10.
    I recorded a movie with Clone DVD. Stored it on my PC with RatDVD, which shrank it to an awesome 874MB. I copied this to my 4GB CF card on my PDA. mp10 for PDA will not recognize or open. Does anybody have a solution, or something like this working? It plays fine on my PC.
    Thanks

2. kinza

kinza Regular member

Ok, the reason your file is not playing is because it is now a .ratdvd file and your media player is not compatible with that. I recommend using this free program called Pocket DivX Encoder: http://divx.ppccool.com/

It works great and shrinks to a resolution suitable for your PDA. Just tweak the settings to your preference and an average movie will be around 400-600 MB. Before you use that program, what you want to do to speed up the process, burn the DVD onto your hard drive as an IFO using DVD Decrypter, also a free program: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

I'm assuming you have a DVD-ROM drive or a DVD burner. Insert the disc, open DVD Decrypter, go to MODE-->IFO. Then just browse to your disc, choose where the file will be encoded to, then press Write or the big icon. This is a key part of the process, it will take around 8-16 minutes depending on the speed of your drive. It could take longer if you have a lower-end computer, I don't think you do. If you do not convert to IFO through Decrypter, the process could take 4-8 hours longer.

I don't think Windows Media Player will play .avi files so install this media player on your PDA, also free: http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/download

I think it is inifinitely better than Windows Media Player in terms of functionality. Hopefully this will all work out. Please feel free to ask anymore questions.

3. rasrock

rasrock Member

Kinza,
    Thanks for your solution, I have succeeded playing movies on the PDA. The TCPMP is very good.
    Thank you for your help!
    Rasrock

4. kinza

kinza Regular member

no problem, glad to be of help. how much space did the movie end up taking?

5. rasrock

rasrock Member

Kinza,
    Well, I thought 874mb was good, however, DivX compressed it to an unbelievable 310mb. The video and sound is good at home, however on the airline jet it was a little dark and hard to hear. The next movie I am burning I am boosting the volume and brightness with the controls for use in aircraft.
    Thanks Again,
    Rasrock

6. kinza

kinza Regular member

Did you try tweaking the settings in TCPMP? If you go to it's menu bar while playing and movie and go to the video tab you can increase the brightness and if you go to the audio tab you can amplifly the sound.