1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uSeR oPiNiOn PolL

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by ICP_RIP, Feb 11, 2003.

1. ICP_RIP

ICP_RIP Member

What do you all think is the minimum requirments a PC should have to run XP smoothly?
    Im talking minimum, not a dream machine, not what someone has who thinks everyone else should have, just an opinion of the essentials.

Thank you_X_X_X_X_X_[small]~Down with the clown,till your dead in the ground~[/small]

2. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

I have a 2GHz Pentium 4, with 1GB RAM and 120GB Hard Drives. XP still does not run smoothly ;-)

Must go higher.

Paul.

3. ICP_RIP

ICP_RIP Member

Interesting,

So i guess i should wait for something like a P5 3ghz processor?

Or just maybe, microsoft could actually put out a flawless OS? (ya right!!!!)

This begs the question, Is XP really better than 2000?, or is it really just 2000 with some eye candy attached?

Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2003
  4. loaded

I am sorry, I was just being facetious. My old Sony works fine with XP, but imagine this:

DOS is a biscuit

Window '95 was a chocolate coated biscuit.

XP is an organic, nut free, hypoallergenic, triple chocolate chip, toffee filled biscuit.

Here is the thing : IT IS STILL A BISCUIT

What do you think? Food for thought?

Paul.

5. ICP_RIP

ICP_RIP Member

Without a doubt, an interesting perspective on the topic.
    I guess in the long run, we cant complain too much about what we have to work with, I mean, what if we were still using DOS or windows 3.1?

Trying to stay on top of the computer technology market is like that episode of the flintstones where fred would strap a carrot in front of a dino just enough that it would try as much as it could to get it, but we all knew he never would.
    Same thing applies here, to walk in to a retailer and buy the top end system, then try to clain you have the best, as they are unloading the newer up graded model in the back.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Keep em comin

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

In my opinion, XP is a Windows 2000 added with eye-candy and draconian DRM systems that make it just more unstable and bloated than the W2k what it really is (when you reduce the amount of eye-candy and jello around the core). The version numbering itself is pretty clear: Windows 2000 == Windows NT 5.0, Windows XP == Windows NT 5.1, which is what it says in your system info when you look at it.

W2k has been the most stable Windows I've ever used, although as I've used it in production server environment as well, obviously Linux/Unix beats it hands down in stability. But it is still the best desktop platform you can get, considering the amount of software available.

7. ICP_RIP

ICP_RIP Member

I am pretty inclined to agree with you.

Windows 2000 was a turning point in OS, just as windows 98 was. However, what did Win98 S.E offer?, a few add ons, ans what did Win98 ME offer?, complete chaos!!

Now granted trying to compare any of those editions to Win2k isnt fair, 2000 blows em away, but is XP just another edition?, even though its a stand alone OS?

Some say that if you have XP, dont even think twice about turning back to 2000, cause apparently XP fixes all the problems 2000 had......like what?

Im running 2000 at the office and XP at home, and I think ive had more isssues with XP, along the lines of performance.

Keep the thoughts flyin!!

Thanks

8. jcb

jcb Guest

thanks the info was very useful

9. ICP_RIP

ICP_RIP Member

Glad that some idle chat could possibly solve a dilema or problem you may be having.

The Klown~

10. loaded

Whoever describes Windows, it seems to come down to food.

Paul.

PS : I had better not descrive here in these forums the technicalities of a Danish game called 'biscuit', as it is way off topic, and very strange/disgusting.

11. ICP_RIP

ICP_RIP Member

Well, im always up for some new interesting games or apps.....got a link to this game?

12. loaded

It is not a computer based game. It involves men, alcohol and a biscuit and beyond that, I am not being drawn.

Paul.

13. ICP_RIP

ICP_RIP Member

I aprreciate the lack of informationa as Im sure I dont wanna know the details of this game.

The klown~

14. loaded

And we are way off topic...

Paul

;-)

15. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Win XP Pro is running fairly stable on my machine and my computer isn't your every day off-the-shelfer either. Service Pack 1 made a big difference. I couldn't tell you what the minimum requirements would be for it to run smoothly. It all depends on what you consider smoothly, I guess. And it depends on what type of purpose the computer will serve (what type of work/play ;) will you be doing on it). If you are content to have it not crash but have to wait for documents to open and when you have a few programs open at once your whole system is sluggish then you could probably get by with a Celeron or a Duron. I would say bare minimum for memory is 256MB. Bare minimum for video card would be 16MB (don't expect to be playing any full/newer games with this). Bare minimum for sound card is Creative SoundBlaster Live!. Bare minimum for hard drives is one 40GB,7200RPM. You should use a good power supply brand. I use Enermax but there are a couple other good ones out there if you ask/look around.

As for my system config, it has 1 Athlon XP 2200+, 1GB PC2100 DDR Ram, 2 40GB 7200RPM ATA-133 hard drives striped in a RAID array as my OS partition, 1 100GB 7200RPM ATA-100 8MB buffer (Western Digital Special Edition) hard drive, 1 40GB ATA-100 7200RPM hard drive, 1 20GB 7200RPM hard drive (in a removable rack), 64MB nVidia Geforce-4 video card, Creative Audigy 24-bit sound card, 1 52X CD-ROM, 1 48X CD-RW, 1 16X DVD-ROM, 6 USB 2.0 ports, 1 Firewire port, and 1 ethernet port built in to the motherboard. By the way, if you're thinking of building a computer I can highly recommend SOYO motherboards. ASUS and Abit were thought to be good but lately their boards are just down the crapper. My mobo is the KT333 DRAGON Ultra - Platinum Edition (Athlon XP board).

I just list here what I'm running not to brag but so you know that XP is running stable on a system with these particular devices. There's also a printer and a webcam connected.

System stability is constant, barring user-intervention;) The other day I forgot *not* to open Explorer while the defrager was running. The system didn't crash or hang, just paused for 30 secs and then I was able to close Explorer to let the defragger finish.

16. ICP_RIP

ICP_RIP Member

Very imformative PopWeasle....

I am pretty positive to say that your maching comes close to what some would call a "dream machine", although my system doesnt quite match yours, it does have a few higher end components, but then again a users system should be built to what you would use it for.
    I gave my buddy my old 433 celeron with 128mb ram and a 20 gb hard drive, and i think im a god to him now, but thats getting off topic.

As far as my system stability, it is very good within the terms you had mentioned, occaisionaly sluggish with certain programs, lighting fast with others.....but you know what hangs my system above any other issue .......POP-UPS!!!!!!!!!
    Sure I have Pop-up Blocker via Tweak XP, but half the time it just hangs my system while I wait for the blocker and the window to duke it out.
    So, not to get to off topic, but when comparing system stability to causes, does anybody know a really good way to prevent pop ups?

Thank you to all of you for the continued support on this thread.

The Klown~~

17. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Ah yes, those pesky pop-ups: brain child/demon spawn of some over-ambitious webmasters... I have experienced the system slow-down that occurs when you get a barrage of them flying in your face. The worst are those that are made to pop-up off-center so you have to hunt all over for the "x" to close the window. The past couple of years I haven't been bothered with them at all and there's 2 programs I'm running that are likely responsible for this safe haven. The first is ZoneAlarm Pro. It's got great privacy options that prevent pop-ups. The second is the [free] Google Toolbar. http://www.toolbar.google.com While this has proved to be an invaluable and extremely convenient search add-on to my Internet Explorer, it also has the nice side-effect of suppressing the pop-ups that happen when you close certain web-pages. If you want to try this then go to that webpage, download the Google Toolbar (it will install automatically), then once it's installed, you have to click on the Google button and then click on "Toolbar Options." This will take you to a page where you can customize all the buttons that you want to show up on the toolbar. Don't forget to check out the "Experimental Features" near the bottom - that's where the "Suppress the onUnload JavaScript event" feature can be found.

18. ICP_RIP

ICP_RIP Member

Thank you so much for the advice, I am hoping that they will be as useful for me as they have been for you.
    It really is too bad that the internet has been mutated into an advertising tool for everything, and of course there has to be a pop up for everyone of em.
    Anyway thanks again for the advice.

The Klown~~~

19. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

I guess I go against the grain. I am a network admin and work with Windoze in all its permiations everyday. I like Windows. Its great everyday os. Kinda Plain Jane. So what do I run at home. I have a Dual P3 with 10000RPM SCSI drives and 1.5 gig of ram running LINUX!!!. I run dvd::rip and I never have any problems. I only started running linux as my main desktop os back in June, so I am still learning.

However I really think that the kernel stability and the speed of the linux os are way far ahead of the windows machines I work with everyday. XP seems kind of sluggish and bloated. I really like 2000. It is like an old comfortable sweater. It just works!! But I really have to admit that the performance gain and pure stability of Open source is really impressive.

The only drawback I see of linux is the learning curve. Its pretty steep but once you get started things just get easier and easier.

As for this site. I am new to ripping. I have not tried it under windows but my linux box has not had a bad rip in 76 rips that it has done. That is impressive. The software for windows seems to be having problems. I'm not so sure that allotof it isn't just plain junk. I only wish more folks would give linux a try. It certainly will open their eyes to a whole new world of software. Free and legally free.

20. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

PDR60, I tried Red Hat Linux (I think v7.3) on my older box about a year ago. I agree with you, the learning curve is steep - it's nothing like Windows. When I tried to put the latest version of Red Hat (Psyche) on my current machine, it gave me issues and wouldn't install correctly. Led me to believe that Linux didn't have the proper RAID drivers for my Highpoint RAID controller. Or it could be that I'm too much of a damn newbie when it comes to Linux. I was curious, could you please tell us what programs you are using to rip DVD's with on RedHat? And are they installed automatically or are they additional packages/prm's/whatever-you-call-'em-in-"Linuxese" that must be selected during the install of the OS. Any info you can provide would be much appreciated amongst us who are, as of yet, uninitiated with RedHat.