1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Eithernet adapter went out on pc and killed my xbox HELP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Xenokai, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

ok let me start from telling you my setup ok im on dial up and i use my pc's (BUILT IN) Eithernet port to hook it to my xbox to ftp and to play XBconnect 1 on 1 with freinds well the past 2 days we have been having storm's <hear me out b4 u said lighting did it)ok of course i kept my pc and phone line unpluged threw it all and that day thunder hit a tree beside our house <while my pc and xbox was unplugged from the power plug and my pc unpluged from the phone jack> ok i went to FTP to my xbox to find out it killed my xbox eithernet port and pc's <i tested if the xbox port was messed up by system linking it with my uncles xbox and it didnt work so i though it migh of been the crossover cord we was using so i took my bros xbox and my uncles xbox and system linked them and it worked fine but mine wont < and if i try to make a system link game on halo 2 even with a cord not hooked up it still lets me make a game but it doesnt work from the port> i found out the xbox thinks it hooked up to system link alway or somthn which i figured its fryed. ok i tested my pc eithernet port by trying to ftp and connect to my uncles xbox and my bros and it didnt even reconize it as connected but windows seems to think the port is working it just always unpluged so i tryed uninstalling the driver for it and rebooted so itl reinstal and it still doesnt work. ok i took my xbox back <best buy warrnty> and i bought a eiternet port for my pc $15.99 and that adapter works <just seems a bit slower than the built in 1 ive been using> the thing i need help on now is what mad this happen my pc was unpluged and if it would of hit my phone line wouldnt it of killed my dial up modem? ok Question is can i recover my built in adapter windows seem to think its working and stuff but when i plug in somthn it doesnt blink or light up at all =( BTW im sorry for the long post and the missspells im upset today my great granmother died and all this happend any help would be great.

2. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

was the xbox still plugged into the wall plug??

4. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

not during the big thunder and stuff no cause my pc and xbox are pluged up to the same power saver thing if it went thre that the swicth suppose to flip anyway

5. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

bump anyone?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  6. ddp

if the power saver was plugged into the wall, does it work still as that is the common factor. you took a power spike not a power surge so unless that power saver has a spike suppressor in it that that is what damaged the xbox & pc.

7. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

whats weird why did it get the eithernet ports only? why didnt it fry the xbox and the pc and ONLY the ethernet ports =/

8. ddp

what was the net cable plugged into before the xbox or pc??

9. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

the net cable is only ever linked to my pc and xbox im on dial up so i never use the ports for anything but linking

10. ddp

was the telephone line still hooked to both & to wall jack?

11. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

nope it wasnt

12. ddp

might have happened before the storm got to your place but still sent a surge thru the power line or phone line before you disconnected. who knows!!

13. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

i donno oh well >.> i dont see why it didnt kill the xbox itslef

14. ddp

if both still connected than went from 1 machine to the other. don't be surprised if your modem dies on you!

15. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

it was unplugged but my tv has sattelite threw the low quality cable hooked t it during the storm i forgot could it of went threw the sattelite into my tv and out the xbox hookup to the eithernet port that was hooked to my pc? it didnt blow my sattelite or tv or xbox just ethernet ports on both but meh maybe thats what happend prob 1 out of a billion and it happens to me figures

16. ddp

as long as both were connected to the outside world, that makes sense.