1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Booktyping with DVD Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by -Marlin-, Sep 1, 2005.

1. -Marlin-

-Marlin- Regular member

Ok I know how to booktype using DVD Shrink, but how do I do it using DVD Decrypter? Instaed of the DVD Video tab, do I select the DVD-ROM tab?

Also.... say i have already burnt a dvd once, and I want to burn it again... is the best way to just go into Shrink and open the movie file, delete the old temp files in the previous burn directory when it asks, and burn?

Thanks!!

2. l8nights

l8nights Guest

dvd-rom would probably be your best bet as far as compatability is concerned just depends on what you plan on watching the disk on and what type of media you are burning on to!?!

to reburn the disk you have already backed up if you don't have the original files then just pop the back-up back-in and use dvd decrypter in iso mode to rip the pre-compressed video to hd then burn that file back to disk
    if I misunderstood the question feel free to let me know but I think this is what you were wanting to know

if you have the files just open decrypter in iso write mode and load the compressed file and burn

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2005
  3. JVC

JVC Active member

4. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

I never knew exactly what booktyping was. Is it nessecary? I never do it.

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Here's how to book type using DVD Decrypter on DVD+R/DVD+R DL media:

01) Open up DVD Decrypter
    02) go to Tools, Drive, Change Book Type (now look for your Dvd Burner and click on it)
    03) Change For: arrow down to "DVD+R/+R DL Media) and Highlight it
    04) New Setting: arrow down to "DVD-ROM" and click on "Change", click on OK (when Success), and OK. That's it... easy as smoking!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Book typing your DVD+R into a DVD-ROM format is good if you have any stand alone dvd player that's over 2 years or older and older PS2 model. Not only that but DVD-ROM will be 100% compatible with all functional dvd players, this is good if you're backing up a dvd movie for a friend or family member of yours, especially you have no idea how old is their dvd player. Nero is another good burning program that can "automatically" set your DVD+R/+R DL into a DVD-ROM format flawlessly, if you set the settings on Nero's correctly.

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

interesting the sony booktypes with lite-on.......

7. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Rotary,

Yeah... that's kind of interesting to me too, when I first did it. According to my understanding, some of Sony's and Lite-On dvd burner(s) is(are) basically the same burner, right?. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm not 100% sure that by using the "book type" on DVD Decrypter using the "Lite-On" for "Sony" will guarantee to work for sure, but it did took it with a "success" book typing anyway, and for instance, if the burner is not list on DVD Decrypter's list, it won't except regardless "without" any "success". I think I did it once or twice when I backed up my GT4 copy roughly 3 months ago and to my surprise it did turns out as a DVD-ROM format as result.

However, I prefer the Book Typing using Nero better though as it always "automatically" book type any of my DVD+R into a DVD-ROM whenever I'm backing up dvd movies.

8. jmet

jmet Regular member

Sony's are just re-badged LiteOn's. (Or it could be vise versa)

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes i have heard some drives use others insides, but wont dvd decrypter set the drive permantly, as if you read the drop down box its says stuff like booktype drive or next write or disc ???

also i think dvdinfo pro will bitset drives permantly, click the +RW icon

10. Ryan32us

Ryan32us Guest

I have seen this option to book type, could someone explain exactly what this is , or does, how does it increase compatibility. I transferred some home movies to a dvd, worked at my house but not on a relatives dvd standalone player?, is this a possible solution?

11. jmet

jmet Regular member

Setting the booktype to DVD-ROM makes it more compatible because, pressed DVD's (The DVD's you buy) are read as "DVD-ROM" by your DVD player. So setting the booktype as "DVD-ROM" makes your DVD player think it is a actual store bought DVD. Booktype settings is only for +R media though, not -R.

12. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Book typing your DVD+R or DVD+R DL into a DVD-ROM format is one of the best and or safest way to go when it comes to burning/backing up dvd movies. As a matter of fact, all commercials (original purchased) dvds are pressed as DVD-ROM format only. If your friends or relative's stand alone dvd player can read original pressed DVD-ROM movies, then changing the book type to DVD-ROM will solve their misery.

I highly recommend doing so. However, you have to have the right dvd burner that will support "book typing" though. Both Nero and DVD Decrypter can book type easily if you have any of these dvd burners, such as Sony, Lite-On, LG, BenQ, NEC, Plextor, Ricoh and Nu Tech.

13. Ryan32us

Ryan32us Guest

Hey guys thanks alot for the info, I have an Lg drive so I will give it a try..!

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Not all sony dvdrw's are capable of bitsetting but any drive including DRU-700A and after is a rebadged lite-on and are capable of bitsetting.

Also most phillips drives are rebadged benq's and are capable of bitsetting. If useing dvdd to change booktype to dvd-rom select benq tab if you have a phillips drive.

I just learned that there is even now some modified f/w available for pioneer DVR-109'S to make them capable of bitsetting.

NEC's must also be flashed with some modified f/w to be capable of bitsetting.

@Ryan32us,

Here's some more info and explanation on booktyping/bitsetting. http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150

Mort

15. DuneDog

DuneDog Member

Hello, This is my first post.. I'm trying to Booktype a DVD+ disk to work on a Xbox. I have DVD Decryptor but don't know what drive to pick or how to find out what one will work. I am using a (Memorex DVD 16+/-DL4RWD2) drive.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi DuneDog,

Your drive is a rebadged lite-on SOHW-1673S.

17. DuneDog

DuneDog Member

Thanks... Still have a question. I follow the instructions above change the lite-on settings to DVD-Rom and it said success. But when I go to the main screen with a blank DVD+R disk in it says (Current Profile :DVD+R) & (Book Type :DVD+R). I burned a disk and it's not booktyped? I think.. just reading the info off DVD Decrypter it still has DVD+R as Booktype

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Download dvd identifier and see what it says the booktype is for your burned disc. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Do you have nero? I prefer useing it to set booktype.

Mort

19. DuneDog

DuneDog Member

Mort81

this is what is said:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-E01-000]
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
    Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
    Media Type ID : [E01]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
    [ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Does this mean it is a DVD-ROM Booktype

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

OMG, CMC Mag discs - look in mort81's signature (and mine if you want to)