1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial/FAQ: Xbox Softmodding

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by tEChniiQue, Sep 2, 2005.

1. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

//End of line

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007
  2. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Wow nice guide. I want to mod my xbox, but still want to play on xbox live. I mostly play halo 2, sometimes Madden and a few other sports games. I don't really want to get a modchip, and I dont want to get banned. I also have heard of XBC. I dont think I would want to play on that thought because I like actually playing the right way too, with no autoaim, superjumps ,etc. What would you suggest?

3. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Thanks.

If you want to play LIVE and run "no risk" of getting banned then you need just play online with an unmodded xbox.

You have to be able to turn off your chip to play online otherwise it's a no go. It's a risk you'd have to take but like I said, there is only one secure way of playing and not getting banned.

As for XBC and haing to wait to play...It's rare, there are so many people online line all the time playing that game it's unbelievable. But I personally think it's a small price to pay for being free and having no fear of being banned.

**edit: X-Link Kai is also another option.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005
  4. Wardy

Wardy Member

Hey, this tutorial is great, i want to softmod my box because i wish to back up my games onto the hard drive. Just a couple of questions, my xbox is PAL and i want to use splinter cell for the files. Which files do i need, im guessing i would need the SID.Splinter.Cell.v2.0.PAL.Xbox-Hq file, but do i also need the SID.Splinter.Cell.v2.0.Xbox-Hq file, and does that one matter which region you are in. Also, if you softmod your xbox do you lose all your game saves? And one last question, would my max drive work for putting the files accross to my xbox? [​IMG]
    Thanks

5. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Thank you...hope it helps(ed). Yes, you need the PAL file for your softmod. As for the saves, I'm not sure...I've never paid attention to the saves...nobody has ever mentioned it when I mod their box and I've never worried about it when I've done the mods on my personal boxes. I would guess you don't since the Softmod still exists but I'm mot sure...I'll pay attention to that on my next box and see what happens.

6. Wardy

Wardy Member

Cheers :D

7. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I think I already know the answer to this question but still need to ask, a regular USB thumb drive with a Phantasy Star Online USB keyboard adapter will work with this tutorial right? (For the transfer of the save game files?)

8. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@Oner

It should but I've never tried it before.

9. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

@Oner What threads do you normally hang out at? I'm in almost all the forums and havent seen you so far

10. xyron

xyron Guest

hi mate does it matter what kernal you xbox is, i mean i read this http://www.how2xbox.com/mod.htm and the bottom of the page it says some about the UDE1 and 2, and it says that UDE2 can only be used for us/canadaian xboxes but i have a new zealand xbox with a kernal higher than 5713.

11. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@xyron
    I have never heard of nor had problems modding an xbox via softmod or chip due to what you've stated. "If I'm understanding you question right". I even have a Japanese console that was done successfully initial with a softmod and later with a chip. Hope that answers your question.

12. evocre8r

evocre8r Member

13. pattyrulz

pattyrulz Member

i installed evox and wen i try to sign on xbl it says start troubleshooter nd i go on it n it coms up in finny ritin :(:(:(:(:(: do i need to buy a new xbox :(

14. evocre8r

evocre8r Member

Hey all. I got everything I need!

What files from the Softmod Deluxe do I transfer? I transfered the splinter cell and the splintercellNTSC zip files to the PC database in Action Replay. I then transfered it from there, to the memory card but it installs the "LINUX INSTALLER" folder and the "INSTALL LINUX" file. Is it supose to do that? Also, I have the option for LINUX_PROFILE and SAMS_PROFILE. Which one do I choose?

Thanks,
    evocre8r

15. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Linux...It probably says Run Linux. That's the initiation of the softmod

16. evocre8r

evocre8r Member

So everything else is ok? It's copying the folders and everything? Just double checking before I take the big plunge.

Thanks,
    Evocre8r

17. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Yep, should be. Just make sure you backup your EEPROM once the mod is complete.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2005
  18. evocre8r

evocre8r Member

Thanks So Much! I am by my xbox now. I have only one more question. Am I supose to copy 2 or 3 files? The files that I have copied already are:

Linux Installer > Linux Install (485 Blocks - 7/15/2000)
    and...
    Splinter Cell > Linux_Profile (4 Blocks - 7/16/2000)

Are these the only files? Also, when you say "Reset" the xbox, does that mean to turn it off, turn it back on and insert the game, or insert the game now and then turn it off and then on?

Thanks,
    Scott

19. evocre8r

evocre8r Member

Thanks so much uniique1!

The mod was successful.

If I didnt have any doubts, it wouldve taken 5 minutes or less. Instead it took me 2 hours (Skeerdy cat).

Well it Great! I installed the Unleashx dashboard.

Thanks,
    evocre8r

20. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

You're welcome...glad I could help. Enjoy your box!!