1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle Studio 9 plus problem to render

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by rayosx, Sep 4, 2005.

1. rayosx

rayosx Member

Hey guys

I have a big problem with pinnacle studio 9 plus when I try to render, I captured everything right with the maximum quality on DV and well, that is not the problem, I can capture very well from my camcorder, edit very well , add efects, text, voice, music, etc, no problem at all, but when I go to the part 3 to render , it finish the process, I have tried to do on mpeg and disc and it does not matter if I select to burn directly to DVD -r or to save to the hard disk, the same problem, it stops suddenly without finish the entire process, but it does not crash or the software stop responding, no, the program is fine and the computer does not crash, just it does not keep saving or working the hard drive anymore and then I have to press cancel and If try to start again the process , the same thing, I do not know what is the problem with this, I am running a notebok with amd athlon 64 3.7 GHZ, a hard disk of 100 gb 4200 rpm ( I do not think that this is the problem ) a good vieo card aty radeon x600 128 , 1024 RAM, so I am fine with my hardware, windows xp pro xp2 all latest patches installed, I installed the last patch for pinnacle studio 9 plus that was the 9.4.3 so I do not know what is the problem, any hint, help , experience that you have had with the same problem ? I still wanto to try to figure out what is the problem and I would like to use this program because I want to add those transitions effects that it has I do not know what can you advise me or someone who have had the same problem

thank you
    ray

2. rayosx

rayosx Member

Ok, also additional information so you can see better what I have,

I have some videos that I captured on full DV ( best quality ) and pinnacle studio 9 automatically put me scene on some of my videos, I added all scenes for one video for example 7 different escenes and it completes 15 minutes of video I tried to render that and it stuck sometimes on 5 or 6 minutes or 10 minutes something like that it is not always stuck on the same but it does not blink the led of the hard drive anymore the pole bar from the preview video get stuck and does not advance but weird that the software is active if I press ctrl + alt + del and see if it is on the status of " not responding" it is not, it is in good shape and it is not using cpu % so it is not working anymore but it is like it it were on suspend , that's very weird and it is responsive to the button cancel if I press it it cancels the operation, any clue ?

3. abczzz

abczzz Member

I have the same problem.
    Raw video is processed well, but after adding effects and music it just stops somewhere in the project. CPU usage is suddenly from 95% down to 5%...

Pinnacle has some tips and tricks in there knowledge database.
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/wwwsupport/InteractiveSupport/nl/frameset.htm
    Select: 'Studio version 9.x '
    Fill in: 'stops render' at 'ask a question (..)'
    First topic gives some information.

Did not give a solution to my. I tried al, but still projects stops rendering. Maybe it works for you.

Even tried to reinstall studio 9 at new partition, recaptured all video etc. But still not working.

And it worked in the past. I have made several dvd's with it, and when I recreate these I get no error...

4. gorges123

gorges123 Guest

Ray,
    I had the same problem before, have you ever tried using a rewrittable DVD instead of a recordable one, good luck.

5. astalker

astalker Member

I have EXAXCTLY the same problem as Ray. Used to work for me, too. Now every project hangs someplace in the render process. I've tried ALL of Pinnacles suggestions(defragging; moving aux files to same drive, etc,etc); I've just updated my m/b BIOS, but problem is still the same. Doesn't matter what medium I'm using (somebody suggested rewritable) it doesn't get to that stage. Even trying to create an AVI file I get the same.
    The program is good, but I've wasted so much time recently trying to create any kind of project. Will be grateful for any advice or assistance.
    Allan

6. abczzz

abczzz Member

I spent a lot of time last weeks to get my projects completed.
    I have to recent big projects which could not finish rendering.

After executing the Pinnacle suggestions I did the following:
    =remove all pinnacle software
    =run several registry clean up programs
    =defragment hard disk
    =reinstalled pinnacle software and hollywood FX etc
    =removed al temporary files from studio 9 menu

And guess what? First project completed directly today and the other one after removing 10 seconds of the 'hanging' scene...

Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

Just try it.

7. cp1966

cp1966 Regular member

Ray, please try to shorten ur sentences and read your post b4 submitting. Long sentences are confusing and hard to read.

Now to your problem. Doing a search on the Pinnacle forum is another great place to check. I have used Pinnacle for a couple years, and the only times I had problems is when I captured and edited files using the latest version, then updated my Pinnacle, and tried to burn. I have had to go back and uninstall Pinnacle, reboot, reinstall and try again.

One thing you should do for sure is buy an external Hard Drive. You do not, and should not, use your main HD for storing the video files with Pinnacle. The files are so big and the constantly frag. You need another HD.

8. astalker

astalker Member

Ray - your post was fine. It clearly showed you are having the same problem as lots of others. A look at other forums shows it is nothing to do with fragged files, or using an external drive. I wish people wouldn't just invent answers. These can have an effect, but not in our case. The problem lies with the latest version of Studio 9, and the capture. Somehow the sound is causing the problem, and is being corrupted during the capture. Hang on in there - I'm hopeful somebody will find an answer. In the meantime, make sure your disk is large enough, but don't dash out to buy an external one!
    Cheers ...... Allan

9. chazman66

chazman66 Member

Sorry Allen, but that "could" be a cause. He doesnt say how much space is left on his drive. Studio requires a lot of HD space for rendering. If he only has 15 gigs left, and his file is big, it is trying to use all of the remaining space that is left, it will cause problems. Rendering requires up to about 15 gigs I believe.I dont know if that is why, but it could be.

I am pretty sure the manual suggests a seperate HD, and if you read the posts on the Pinnacle Forum site, most people do.

Regarding his post, its 12 lines long, and the first 10 is one sentence. Personally, its hard to follow when a sentence goes on and on and on and on...

Ray, I believe you said you had a 100 gig HD. How much is still available, and how big is the file you are trying to burn onto a disc. Also, even though it seems that it has stopped rendering, have you let it try to do it overnight? It does take 2-3 hours for a 60 minute movie. Try to leave it alone for a few hours and see what happens. You should not be doing anything else on the computer while it is rendering.

10. framit

framit Guest

From what I have heard from some staunch users of Pinnacle 9 it is very unstable on most PC systems, so much so that many users are reverting back to Version 7. That was the last good stable software package made by Pinnacle. I bet you can buy ver 7 very cheap nowadays.
    Just a thought to help your confusion.

11. fcarr1

fcarr1 Member

Well, it looks like many people have this rendering issue. I have 4 drives ranging from 18gig available to 220Gig available, and have tried all drives to render an avi file. I've chosen as little as 7 seconds, and as much as 27 minutes of footage, but the rendering always stops half-way through the second pass, not matter the size. I'm actually going to search for another software product tonight. This sucks because I will need to learn an entire new system. If anyone has recommendations other than Roxio, let me know. I've spent way too much time trying to render and get nowhere. From my perspective, Pinnacle should provide more input and support with this issue. BTW, I have Studio Plus version 9.4.3, and this plus other problems started cropping up since the last update. Thanks.

12. fcarr1

fcarr1 Member

For those checking back, I just removed the audio from a 7 second clip and was able to render and create a DVD. I'm going to test with about 25 minutes of video. If the audio is the issue, does anyone have any recommendations on how to modify the audio to enable it to be kept with the video? Thanks.

13. cp1966

cp1966 Regular member

I honestly dont know what the purpose of saving an avi file is. I capyture from my DV camera, edit the heck out of it, and save it to DVD. Works great.

14. astalker

astalker Member

Thanks fcarr1. A reply from somebody who has read the threads! I have 3 drives - plenty of space - have defragged - tried rendering to avi - problem has arisen since 9.4.3 as you suggest. I'm not keen to try another product, since I quite like Studio - when it works. Have you tried playing your captured avi by something like Media Player or Winamp? I find it won't play to completion, and think it's caused by the sound problem I mentioned earlier. Now that one or two people who understand the problem and issues are on to it, I hope we may get someplace. Are those with the problem capturing from an analogue camera, using some kind of A to D converter? I think capturing from Digital is OK. Can you confirm this?
    Allan

15. plandis

plandis Guest

I have also experience the exact same problem as everyone in this thread. I'm currently using Version 9.4.3 and started experiencing this issue when using audio files along with my project. Projects seem to render and burn on DVD just fine if I do not use that many audio files. But once I start to include up to 10 MP3 audio files in my project, Pinnacle Studio hangs right after rendering the project. It looks as if it is "Creating Disc" but both the task Manager and CPU usage shows 0 utilization for Pinnacle. This really sucks because I wasted a whole day editing clips. I have already installed Pinnacle on another machine and get the exact same issue so I know it's not hardware related. Looks like there is no work around??? Is anyone aware of a work around or patch? I see that some people have suggested Version 7 but after experiencing this, I would rather buy another product then get stuck with this POS!

16. fcarr1

fcarr1 Member

I'm glad that someone's following this thread, and my thanks to all that replay. To cp1966, I'm rendering AN edited AVI file, not rendering TO an AVI file. I, too, capture, edit, then try to save to DVD, but get the aforementioned error.

I just purchased PowerDirector 4 (the download version), and spent yesterday becoming familiar with it. It's similar to Pinnacle, perhaps more GUI oriented. The main thing I noticed are that the captured Video and Audio seem to be tied together so I cannot, currently, extract the audio or paste it to a another scene or a slowed down scene (PD4 lets me "stretch the sound or mute it, only), and I do not know how to do transitions across a group of scenes. PD4 has only 2 other audio tracks, as well. But enough of PD4.

Obviously it would be much better for me to continue with Pinnacle, but I'm concerned about the stability. Last year I had a similar problem but was able to extract the "bad", edited area, and replace it with another. Another problem I had was that no matter how much editing and changing scenes I tried, I could not create a "movie" longer than about 25 minutes without rendering freezing, and had to create the movie in 2 parts, on 2 DVDs. All these problems make it difficult to work on projects without excessive testing of scenes and many, multiple renders.

You would think that Pinnacle could work with us for free to make their product better. I put in my only free call over a month ago when I could not capture. It seems that Norton was continually running on the network verifying that it was time for me to renew, and though I killed all I could without removing Norton, there remained a background program using the network that occasionally would remind me to renew. BTW, has anyone had any luck with Pinnacle support other than the standard refrag, stop processes, reinstall...comments?

17. tzonis

tzonis Member

Hello everyone. I hear that there is a problem with rendering, using studio 9.
    First of all, for best results you need to have the pci card which gives all the appropriate outputs and inputs. The firewire of the motherboard does not reallyhelp in this situation. Studio 9 is a demanding programme, some people capture their scenes in the preview mode and then disconnect. With digital cams the studio recaptures in full quality what is needed. Your hard disc should be partitioned, that is the auxilliary files should be placed in a big portion of the HD. Although you may have 512 RAM 1G is simply acceptable. The situation gets worse with the transitions and filters. HFX also create problems. Becareful if u r using copies from other versions. The Bios needs to be updated sometimes but I am not sure about that.
    Also, disactivate the antivirus software, the screensaver and the clock. The lenght of the movie should not be more than 60 mins after that you need a double layer. Free up some dispace. The DV quality capture for 1 hour need 14 Gigas and some more to render!!!
    If you add anything new uninstall and reinstall. In the original cd there is a patch for the English edition, this might help.

I hope I have helped. I wiil do some more research and i ll be right back good luck

18. astalker

astalker Member

Here we go again. To plandis, thanks for your comment. I don't think you have "exactly the same problem". You say your project "hangs right after rendering". The others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the problem is the rendering stops midway - the program doesn't hang - but rendering stops.

Thanks tzonis for your best wishes. Maybe you could read through the correspondence - we've been where you're at. Good to know you'll do some more research. We look forward to hearing from that.
    Allan

19. plandis

plandis Guest

The resolution to my issue was to download the 9.4.3.8 patch. This fixes the issue.

20. astalker

astalker Member

Hi plandis - where did you get the 9.4.3.8 patch? Software upgrade tells me I have the latest (9.4.3) and I can't see the patch on the download area. Thanks. Allan