1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macintosh rip,compress & burn guide

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mediaguru, Nov 14, 2004.

1. sevenno

sevenno Guest

Can you send me a step by step tutorial? I have Toast 8. Thank you,

Arsenio

2. buzzb65

buzzb65 Member

Ok I just got my new mac and want to burn a DVD. I am using MacOSX Leopard. I used mtr3 to extract the DVD. No need to compress as it is small. I see people talking about Toast8, but do I really need to buy something to burn?

3. fotoboy05

fotoboy05 Member

hey buzzb i have a new mac too and i found a program called "dvd to ipod converter". it rips and converts the dvd into the right format for an ipod but you can throw it in itunes and watch it or just have it on your mac. unfortunately there isnt a free version that rips the whole thing. so i paid $29.00 for the full program. i figured worth it since i was ripping like all my movies.

4. deebstar

deebstar Member

Hi,

So with your kind help, I can rip and compress no problem. I've now got four movies on my desktop, and for the life of me, i can't seem to burn them...:-((

I can watch them with the Apple DVD player. And using Toast 6 titanium, I 'burn' them - only when i try to play the dvd, it just says "unsupported media" and won't play.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

Thanks so much - any help appreciated before I make even more coasters!!

5. jar_13

jar_13 Member

I am looking for an applescript that will automate ripping with MTR and compress/burn with either DVD2ONEX2 or Toast.
    I don't know much about scripts but figure there must be one out there to make this all happen with one button.
    Automator seems to only work with out-of-the-box apps.

6. kaden0302

kaden0302 Member

i followed ur directions on how to use dvd2one to compress it but i dont think it worked because the file size is still 6.something.... bigger than it should be.... anyways i was hoping you could help me with this.

7. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Here I'll offer some of my hints about writing to optical media using a G4 or G5 Mac.

Verbatim & Taiyo Yuden media are reviewed everywhere, but the Mac user might need to know their speeds on Apple-compatible drives. Mine is a LaCie d2 super- multi-drive with LightScribe and both USB & Firewire bus sockets. Disks boot over Firewire but burn fastest over USB. Mine, inside, is a Toshiba-Samsung) TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M with LA00 firmware.

LightScribe, which I label twice for darkness:
    Verbatim 16x DVD+R, MCC004, burns at 18x over USB, 16x over Firewire DAO strategy
    Verbatim 4x DVD+RW, MKMA02, burns at 4x, DAO strategy (not LightScribe)
    Verbatim 6x DVD+R DL, MCC001, burns at 2x, DAO Strategy (not LightScribe)
    Verbatim 52x CD-R burns at 48x (the maximum), SAO Strategy

Silver Lacquer, for archiving:
    Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R, TYG03, burns at 18x, DAO strategy
    Taiyo Yuden 52x CD-R burns at 48x (the maximum), SAO strategy

Preparation

The LaCie d2 has a variety of ATA burners inside its great case, so speeds may vary. The only tools we seem to have are the freeware DVD Media Inspector and /Library/logs/DiscRecording.log, easily readable from the Console. I've never had a bad burn when run with an iced processor: I maximize resources & place an ice pack under a towel beneath my PowerBook. The desktop is mono-colored with only 'aliases', memory is free of widgets, energy saver is 'Custom' = off, & pointer in a corner disables screen saver. The only user processes are a free or freeware burning utility & freeware Temperature Monitor. When the high or low temperature changes by 5 degrees Fahrenheit, it's announced on my speakers: time a new ice pack.

No coasters on LightScribe at 18x is great is you have many relatives and own the family photos. (I also store obscure academic books in the public domain, and lectures from iTunes University.) I subscribe to a weekly newsletter from an online superstore and stock during sales: this 'guarantees' my media are genuine.

Software

Because photos & movies are standard formats, I use free Unix utilities on my Mac: Burn replaces Toast, and DVD Spanner I'm currently using to archive. There is quite a collection of Unix software with Aqua interfaces, such as ffmepgX, and even (for Unix fans) a claimed command-line 'dump' (hfspax, actually) for backing up HFS+ (to an iPod, or to DVD-RWs, for example):

HFSpax's homepage

Rewritable discs are (thermodynamically) unstable, so I use plain Taiyo Yuden for archiving. It now comes in square (plastic) boxes of 25, that rest vertically.

8. hamhawk72

hamhawk72 Member

I have several commercial music concert DVD's that I would like to rip specific chapters from and burn them all onto one DVD like a "mix tape". I will not need compression as I will only add as many songs (chapters) as will fit on a 4.7GB DVD. Should I use MTR to rip specific chapters, or rip the whole DVD and narrow it down to the chapters I want with another program?

9. jrdn19495

jrdn19495 Member

ok first of all your thread was amazingly helpful but I am still having issues...
    I use mac the ripper and i did the full feature because i wanted the menus and etc.
    i then watched the file and everything was fine
    i decided to use burn to burn it onto a dvd due to the fact that it is free
    i went under data (which didn't know about til' you said that thanks :))
    i added the video_ts file or whatever and burned
    everything went well until it verified the disk
    it said unable to burn due to verification issues :(
    although it still plays on my computer perfectly?
    when i put it in the dvd player it says wrong disk
    what did i do wrong?

10. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Though I haven't 'Burn' before me, I can guess of two errors. First, the important one. Your computer reads probably any format of DVD: it's the file VIDEO_TS file that calls up Apple's DVD Player, not the disc. A video DVD needs to be formatted in UDF format, and given a 'booktype' the DVD Player can recognize, such as DVD-ROM. To do both of these, you should designate the target disc as a Video DVD in 'Burn'.

The verification problem is sometimes unimportant, for a disc with a single error will often play fine on a DVD player. You can usually avoid these by choosing quality media, recording at half the maximal speed (as some do), and - most importantly - shutting down all other applications when burning DVDs, including screen savers. UDF format is written once only, so the rather amazing rate of data flowing to your DVD as it is written to must not be interrupted long.

11. jrdn19495

jrdn19495 Member

thank you for the quick response!
    i decided to avoid the problem and downloaded liquid cd instead of using burn then problem solved....sorry to waste your time
    anyone looking for a free burner for your ripped movies liquid cd is wonderful just go to google and type it in and download....